Today: My 10 favorite Hyatt hotels & resorts in the world
Hyatt is one of the world’s best hospitality brands. The company was founded by Jay Pritzker in 1957 when he purchased the Hyatt House motel adjacent to the Los Angeles International Airport. Over the following decades, Jay Pritzker and his brother, Donald Pritzker, grew the company into the industry-leading management and hotel ownership company as it is known today. Hyatt manages more than 500 hotels and resorts across 15 distinctive brands, each designed to deliver experiences attuned to the lifestyles, attitudes, values, and aspirations of the guests for whom it is designed: Park Hyatt, Andaz, Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, Hyatt Zilara & Ziva, Hyatt Centric, Caption by Hyatt, the Unbound Collection by Hyatt, Destination by Hyatt, JDV by Hyatt, Miraval, Thompson Hotels, and Alila.
Park Hyatt, Andaz and Alila are considered the group’s true luxury brands and rank among my favorite hotel brands in the world. Located in major gateway cities and prime leisure destinations worldwide, Hyatt’s top hotels are a symbol of luxury, offering impeccable service, world-class spas and state-of-the-art guest rooms, all perfectly tailored to those who expect nothing but the best. Each one is designed to reflect the unique character of its locale – the chic of Paris, the exotic allure of Hawaii or the all-American style of Chicago. Park Hyatt hotels are especially known for their acclaimed art programs, minimalist interior design, and exceptional dining venues under the direction of celebrated chefs. Andaz properties are upscale lifestyle boutique-style hotels catering to a younger public. Finally, Alila hotels crafts rare and intimate experiences for discerning guests on the road less-traveled.
Being fortunate to have stayed at many Hyatt hotels around the world, I hereby share with you my favorite 10 hotels & resorts of the group. Think I missed one? Share your favorite Hyatt hotel in the comments section.
*** Read here my overview of Hyatt’s loyalty program World of Hyatt ***
Overlooking Am Hof square (the largest and oldest square in the inner city of Vienna), the Park Hyatt Vienna enjoys a terrific location within the First District of the city, which is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The ultraluxurious property occupies a 100-year-old listed building that formerly served as the headquarters of a bank. The hotel’s 143 spacious guestrooms, including 35 suites, rank amongst the largest in the city, brilliantly combining contemporary style with local Viennese accents. With a world-class fine-dining venue and a gorgeous swimming pool located in the former bank’s vault, the Park Hyatt Vienna remains the Austrian capital’s best luxury hotel since its official opening in 2014.
- Hotel website: Park Hyatt Vienna
- Other accolades: Park Hyatt Vienna features in my list of the best new luxury hotels of 2014 and the 10 most amazing city hotels in Europe.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade on arrival, daily full breakfast, $100 USD food credit, complimentary one-way private airport transfers to/from Vienna International Airport, early check-in, and late check-out).
- Review: read my review of Park Hyatt Vienna here.
Where the Gulf of Papagayo meets the sapphire blue waters of Culebra Bay, Andaz Peninsula Papagayo personifies Costa Rica’s “Pura Vida” (pure life) expression, an extension of the native spirit of the country. The design by Costa Rican architect Ronald Zurcher translates the healthy and poetic integration of men and nature, with 153 rooms (including 21 suites) that make you feel you part of the breathtaking setting and buildings created to the images of jungle creatures. The resort offers four restaurants, three beaches, four pools, spa and wellness programs, extensive on-site activity options, including complimentary Cambi kids program. Guests also enjoy access to the amenities of exclusive Peninsula Papagayo, including golf, tennis, electric assist bike share, The Explorers activities, teen/tween programming and transportation to seven additional restaurants within the community.
- Official website: Andaz Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out and $100 USD resort credit).
- Review: read my review of Andaz Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo here.
Jabal Akhdar, meaning “The Green Mountain” in Arabic, is part of the Al Hajar mountains range, one of Oman’s most spectacular areas. Set 2000 m (6560 ft) above sea level, Alila Jabal Akhdar provides access to this magnificent landscape of untouched beauty. Overlooking a dramatic gorge and with views of the Hajar mountains, the hotel is perfectly positioned to explore the region’s renowned rugged landscapes, a haven for adventure travellers, nature lovers and those seeking an escape from the desert heat. The resort’s 78 beautifully appointed suites and villas are located within the main hotel building or arranged in individual clusters of four to six suites, generously spaced out around the clifftop to maximise privacy and uninterrupted views over the mountains and down into the gorges.
- Hotel website: Alila Jabal Akhdar
- Other accolades: Alila Jabal Akhdar features in my top 10 list of the best luxury hotels in Oman.
- Review: read my review of Alila Jabal Akhdar here.
Reflecting Tokyo’s contemporary urban culture, guests can expect a dazzling experience at this hotel. Located in a 52-story skyscraper, Andaz Tokyo offers 164 rooms, of which eight are specialty suites, and are all located on floors 47-50. Abundant natural materials are largely used for the décor, reflecting the traditional Japanese nature-oriented architectural style. The bathroom is a key feature of the room design, equipped with deep soaking tubs inspired by Japanese bath culture. From the tower’s apex on the topfloor, Andaz brings unprecedented rooftop flair to this city’s dining and entertainment scene, with breathtaking views from the rooftop bar and the city’s highest stand-alone wedding chapel. In true Andaz fashion, all non-alcoholic mini-bar drinks and locally inspired snacks are complimentary. I consider the Andaz Tokyo to be a better hotel than its more famous sibbling in town, the Park Hyatt Tokyo (which I reviewed here).
- Hotel website: Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills
- Other accolades: Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills also features in my lists of the best new luxury hotels of 2014, the 10 best hotels in Tokyo, and the 10 best luxury hotels in Japan.
- Tip: enjoy complimentary VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD food & beverage credit).
- Review: read my review of Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills here.
Park Hyatt’s flagship hotel in New York is located in the heart of midtown across from Carnegie Hall and a short stroll from Central Park. The hotel, designed by world-renowned, Pritzker Prize-winning architect Christian de Portzamparc as well as interior design firm Yabu Pushelberg, features 210 generously sized guest rooms including 92 suites. The state-of-the-art guest rooms are among the largest in the city, starting from 475 square feet (44 square meters). The room design is modern in its architectural bones, but with a slight nod to the past. The mix of furniture and furnishings suggests an eclectic and residential mood which transcends strict modernity. The Park Hyatt New York features a nice spa facility and indoor swimming pool in a three-story aerie at the top of the hotel, located on the 20th floor.
- Hotel website: Park Hyatt New York
- Other accolades: Park Hyatt New York also features in my top 10 list of the best hotels in New York and the world’s most stunning indoor hotel pools
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD hotel credit; for bookings in Park Executive Suites and above, guests additionally receive round trip airport transfers).
- Review: read my review of Park Hyatt New York here.
Situated on a private island 55 km (35 mi) north of the Equator in one of the world’s deepest atolls, Park Hyatt Hadahaa has a strikingly modern and sleek decor. Featuring only 50 villas, the minimalist style interiors of the accommodations are designed with the utmost comfort and luxury in mind, whether nestled within the island’s tropical foliage (36 villas in total), only steps from the ocean, or elevated above the water (14 villas in total). All villas feature floor-to-ceiling windows, and every comfort you would expect, with some beach villas having the added luxury of a plunge pool (overwater villas don’t come with a private pool though). The resort is framed by one of the archipelago’s most unspoilt house reefs, providing easy access for exploration of the underwater marvels of the Indian Ocean.
- Hotel website: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa
- Other accolades: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa also features in my top 10 lists of the best luxury hotels in the Maldives, the world’s most remote luxury hotels, the best hotels in the Maldives for couples, and the best luxury hotels for amazing award redemptions.
- Tip: get free VIP perks when booking Park Hyatt Hadahaa via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD spa credit).
- Review: read my review of Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa here.
Embracing its enviable location in one of the world’s most popular tourist destination, Park Hyatt Bangkok offers a refined and uniquely Thai experience, reflecting the country’s rich culture and legendary gracious hospitality. The hotel is housed within Central Embassy, a 37-floor complex that has become one of Bangkok’s most iconic modern landmark since its opening, both because of its futuristic architecture and its ultra-luxury lifestyle mall, which can be directly accessed from the hotel. A devoted team of hosts dedicates themselves to providing Park Hyatt’s world-class discreet and sincere service. Park Hyatt Bangkok houses 222 luxurious rooms, including 32 suites, featuring unobstructed views of the capital. The exceptional drinking and dining venues all provide a level of service and hospitality that will wow even the most discerning travelers.
- Hotel website: Park Hyatt Bangkok
- Other accolades: Park Hyatt Bangkok also features in my lists of the 10 best hotels in Bangkok and the best new hotels of 2017.
- Review: read my review of Park Hyatt Bangkok here.
Perched along crescent-shaped shores, Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort radiates luxury. From the moment you step into the airy lobby, you’ll feel like you’re a world away. Each one of the hotel’s 290 guest rooms and suites, and seven residential villas, blends the non-traditional Andaz style with the feel of a luxury resort community. Accommodations are enhanced at every turn, with modern touches like private lanais for admiring magnificent Hawaii sunsets, baths with ocean and garden view showers, and luxurious body products that invigorate both body and mind. The resort has two award-winning restaurants: you can share authentic island cuisine served family style at Ka’ana Kitchen, or embark on a distinct culinary adventure blending Western and Japanese traditions at Morimoto Maui, led by the acclaimed celebrity chef Masaharu Morimoto. Dip your toes in the sand, explore Hawaii’s vast wonders, or lounge poolside with your favorite drink at my favorite hotel in Hawaii.
- Hotel website: Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort
- Other accolades: Andaz Maui at Wailea also features in my top 10 lists of the best hotels in Hawaii and the world’s most eco-friendly luxury hotels.
- Tip: get free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD spa credit).
- Review: read my review of Andaz Maui at Wailea here.
Alila Villas Uluwatu is located in the dry savannah landscape of the Bukit Peninsular in the south of the island. Poised on an elevated plateau that meets with limestone cliffs sweeping down the Indian Ocean, the view from the hotel is nothing less than breathtaking. Blending in with these spectacular surroundings, the architecture of the hotel combines the delights of traditional Balinese pavilion architecture and rural landscapes with modern dynamic treatment of space and form. The spectacular yet serene, open-plan rooms with minimalistic interiors are designed to impart comfort and space.
- Hotel website: Alila Villas Uluwatu
- Other accolades: Alila villas Uluwatu also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s best honeymoon resorts, the world’s best luxury hotels and the best luxury hotels & resorts in Bali.
- Tip: get complimentary VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, $100 USD resort credit, and an Alila Villas Uluwatu welcome package comprising of beach bag and custom-designed his and her hat developed exclusively for Alila Villas Uluwatu).
- Review: read my review of Alila Villas Uluwatu here.
The Opera House is Sydney’s iconic symbol and no where can it be more appreciated then from Park Hyatt Sydney. Seated majestically on one of the world’s most beautiful harbors, the hotel perfectly personifies contemporary luxury with its coveted location between the Opera House and Harbor Bridge. Many return guests and celebrities prefer this hotel over others even though its location is not as central as some of its competitors. Reminiscent of an exclusive harborside residence, the hotel offers intimate surrounds with architecture, art and design that reflect the Australian landscape. Highlights include 155 spacious guestrooms and suites with contemporary interiors and floor-to-ceiling glass doors that open to private balconies; 24-hour butler service; and a day spa with stunning rooftop pool and sundeck. All meals are offered in the multilevel Harbor Kitchen, where window-walls open for optimal views of the Opera House and harbor activity.
- Hotel website: Park Hyatt Sydney
- Other accolades: Park Hyatt Sydney also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most spectacular hotel rooftops, the best luxury hotels in Australia, the world’s best city hotels, and the most spectacular rooftop pools in the world, and hotels loved by celebrities.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (upgrade on arrival, daily continental breakfast, $100 USD spa credit, early check-in and late check-out).
- Review: read my review of Park Hyatt Sydney here.