Monday newsletters always feature top 10 travel lists to inspire.
Today (March 26, 2018): Top 10 most luxurious city hotels in the world.
The world’s most glamorous cities are a magnet for discerning travelers. Not only do metropolises like Tokyo, Istanbul, and Sydney draw in scores of people on business, but they are also holiday destinations in their own right, with plenty of intriguing attractions to offer the curious explorer and culture addict. Luckily, they’re also home to some of the world’s most exclusive hotels. Today, I am highlighting the best city hotels in the world.
There is more info below the slide show. Think I missed one? Share your favorite city hotel in the comments section, or take my poll below!
*** Follow me on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for a daily moment of travel inspiration ***
10. WALDORF ASTORIA AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS
Set on the banks of Amsterdam’s grandest canal, the Herengracht (‘gentleman’s canal’), the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam boasts a fabulous location in the heart of the city, just a short walk from the Hermitage Museum, the Opera House, the Museum Quarter and a wealth of dining, shopping and leisure options. Boasting a historical exterior comprising six monumental 17th and 18th century double-front canal palaces and featuring a unique grand staircase built by the architect of Louis XIV, Daniel Marot, the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam hotel offers sophisticated comfort and unparalleled service. The hotel has 93 elegant rooms, lofts and suites with spectacular views of the canal and courtyard garden, stunning authentic décor and spacious bathrooms. All rooms are uniquely designed to help you work, dress and relax, and feature a wealth of modern amenities and thoughtful touches to make your stay memorable. The hotel also features a sophisticated two Michelin star restaurant, where you can savor exquisite international cuisine as you take in beautiful views of the courtyard garden.
- Hotel website: Walfdorf Astoria Amsterdam
- Other accolades: The Waldorf Astoria also features in my lists of the best luxury hotels in Amsterdam, best luxury hotels that opened their doors in 2014, the most amazing city hotels in Europe.
- Tip: enjoy complimentary VIP benefits when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and $100 USD food and beverage credit).
9. THE RITZ-CARLTON HONG KONG, CHINA
The Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong will open your eyes to a horizonless view and elevate your spirit with genuine awe from one of the most prestigious luxury five-star hotels in Hong Kong. Located on floors 102-118 in the West Kowloon district’s International Commerce Centre, the hotel overlooks Victoria Harbor, revealing a virtual map of the city where guests can see a destination full of unlimited possibilities from 360-degree panoramic views. Inside the communal areas, soaring architectural elements encrusted with custom glass artwork echo the signature glamour of the city below. The hotel offers 312 luxurious guest rooms and suites, all providing spectacular views of the city and Vitoria Harbor and state-of-the-art technology including Wi-Fi, iPod docking stations, blu-ray DVD players and stylish flat screen TVs. Featuring six distinctive dining venues starting on the 102nd floor, guests can indulge in fine dining and casual cuisine ranging from traditional Chinese offerings and Italian specialties. An indoor infinity swimming pool located on the top floor features 144 LED screens on the ceiling that display colorful images.
- Hotel website: The Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong
- Other top 10 accolades: The Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong also features in my top 10 list of the best luxury hotels in Hong Kong, world’s highest hotels, the best luxury hotels in China, and hotel rooms with a spectacular view.
- Tip: enjoy complimentary VIP benefits when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD food credit).
- Review: read my review of The Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong here.
8. ST REGIS ISTANBUL, TURKEY
Taking residence at the Nisantasi district, Istanbul’s most vibrant neighborhood, the modernist Art Deco influenced St. Regis Istanbul features exceptional services and world-class facilities at the city’s best address. Surrounded by the exclusive district’s shops, dining, art, and entertainment, the hotel is mere steps away from destinations such as Macka Park, the convention center, the city center, and the Bosporus. The hotel’s 118 sumptuous accommodations – including 10 suites, one of them being designed by Bentley – boast a unique identity of discrete luxury, timeless elegance, and compelling grace. Guests can savor epicurean flavors at Spago, the first international venue of the Beverly Hills phenomenon by master chef Wolfgang Puck or at an eclectic French Brasserie. The hotel also features a beautiful Rejuvenate at Iridium Spa with 3 plunge pools and 7 treatment rooms, offering internationally acclaimed therapies that blend traditional remedies with modern technologies to rejuvenate the mind, body, and spirit.
- Hotel website: St Regis Istanbul
- Other accolades: St Regis Istanbul also features in my lists of the most anticipated hotel openings of 2015, the most amazing city hotels in Europe, the best luxury hotels in Turkey the best luxury hotels in Istanbul, and Europe’s best hotel rooftops.
- Review: read my review of the St Regis Istanbul here.
7. PARK HYATT SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
The Sydney Opera House is Sydney’s iconic symbol and no where can it be more appreciated then from the luxury hotel Park Hyatt Sydney. Seated majestically on one of the world’s most beautiful harbors, Park Hyatt Sydney perfectly personifies contemporary luxury with its coveted location between the iconic Sydney Opera House and Harbor Bridge. Many return guests and celebrities prefer this hotel over others even though its location is not as central as some of its competitors. Reminiscent of an exclusive harborside residence, the hotel offers intimate surrounds with architecture, art and design that reflect the Australian landscape. Highlights include 155 spacious guestrooms and suites with contemporary interiors and floor-to-ceiling glass doors that open to private balconies; 24-hour butler service; and a day spa with stunning rooftop pool and sundeck. All meals are offered in the multilevel Harbor Kitchen, where window-walls open for optimal views of the Opera House and harbor activity.
- Hotel website: Park Hyatt Sydney
- Other accolades: Park Hyatt Sydney also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most spectacular hotel rooftops, the best luxury hotels in Australia, the most spectacular rooftop pools in the world, and hotels loved by celebrities.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (upgrade on arrival, daily continental breakfast, $100 USD spa credit, early check-in and late check-out).
- Review: read my review of the Park Hyatt Sydney here.
6. THE LODHI, NEW DELHI, INDIA
Amidst the lush order of Lutyens’ Delhi, just minutes from the grandeur of Rashtrapati Bhavan, the peaceful Lodhi gardens and many other iconic sites, The Lodhi hotel provides one of the world’s most colourful and cosmopolitan capital cities with a tranquil retreat. Offering essential respite in spacious surrounds, this city-based resort is an elegant haven exuding an air of sophisticated calm, and provides guests with the ultimate in comfort, as well as the ideal base from which to experience the city. The Lodhi ethos is simple and easy luxury. But it’s also an ethos of ‘contrasts’, from the dynamic and vibrant atmosphere in the restaurants, courtyards and public areas to the seclusion, peace and club- like atmosphere of the seven floors of guest accommodation. Unique in a urban resort, all of the 31 rooms and suites feature private plunge pools, come with exceptional views, and have terraces dappled. After ‘growing up’ as an Aman city resort since its opening in 2009, the hotel is now an independent, standalone property .
- Hotel website: The Lodhi
- Other accolades: The Lodhi also features in my top 10 list of the world’s best urban resorts.
- Tip: enjoy complimentary VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade, free breakfast, a 50-minute massage for up to two guests per stay, early check-in, and late check-out).
5. THE SIAM HOTEL, BANGKOK, THAILAND
The Siam hotel – opened in 2013 – is in a category of its own and unique to the Thai capital. With only 39 suites and 3 acres of property along the river, guests are able to experience a resort atmosphere and a level of exclusivity that is not available at Bangkok’s larger luxury properties. The suites at the Siam are amongst the largest in city, all outfitted with plush furnishings, super-sized king beds and lofty ceilings. Each room has been individually designed with original turn of the century oriental artwork and antiques. The Siam is located in an area that is near Bangkok’s historical palaces, temples and museums and, in the Dusit neighborhood, one of Bangkok’s most coveted areas. Guests can also choose for an intimately private pool villa and bask in either Thai, Chinese or Colonial surrounds. Every villa is awash with lush internal gardens and features a private swimming pool and open-air roof terrace, perfect for private sunbathing, evening cocktails or tête-à-tête dining.
- Hotel website: The Siam Hotel, Bangkok
- Other accolades: The Siam Hotel Bangkok also features in my top 10 list of the world’s best urban resorts.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, welcome gift, daily breakfast, $100 USD food & beverage credit, early check in and late check out).
4. ONE&ONLY CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA
This urban chic resort, located in an enviable spot in the city’s fashionable Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, set a whole new standard for South African hotels when it opened almost ten years ago. The exterior is plain compared to the interior. The hotel overwhelms its guests upon arrival with breathtaking Table Mountain views through the massive windows of the spectacular lobby. There are two sections in the hotel: one is the ‘Spa Tower’ with 40 suites and the other is the ‘Marina Rise’ with 91 rooms. All rooms and suites feature oversized bathrooms and are adorned with fabrics and furnishings recalling the warm, muted tones of Africa’s savannahs, , giving them a feel of a home rather than a hotel. The One&Only Cape Town resort’s exclusive Spa Island, is built on its own, man-made island and centered around a large, lagoon-shaped pool. Dining at One&Only Cape Town is a pure delight with two of the city’s most acclaimed restaurants, Rueben’s restaurant, and Nobuyuki Matsuhisa’s Nobu restaurant.
- Hotel website: One&Only Cape Town
- Other top 10 accolades: One&Only Cape Town features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most luxurious city hotels, the most fabulous hotels in Cape Town, and the best luxury hotels in the world.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, welcome gift, daily breakfast, $100 USD resort credit, early check in and late check out).
- Review: read my review of the One&Only Cape Town here.
3. ARMANI HOTEL DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Embodying beauty, elegance and grace, Armani Hotel Dubai defines superior service, immaculate design and incomparable luxury. The unique location in the heart of Downtown Dubai, within the iconic Burj Khalifa (the world’s tallest tower) – close to Business Bay and DIFC – makes it the perfect base for the most discerning, non-conformist business travelers who have an individualistic attitude and are sensitive to style and elegance. Armani Hotel is a part of a mixed use development consisting of 160 rooms and 144 residences. The hotel is up to the 8th floor and then 38th and 39th floors and the residences occupy levels 9 to 16 of the Burj Khalifa Tower. Inside the 160 rooms and suites, sophisticated colors, clean lines and unique textures blend together seamlessly with the tower’s stunning architecture and natural light to create an atmosphere of calm serenity where guests can retreat into a world of minimalist elegance. Armani Dubai also features a world-class spa and 11 restaurants, including Armani Ristorante which is recognized as one of the best restaurants in the city
- Hotel website: Armani Hotel Dubai
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, one lunch or dinner for 2, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, $50 USD spa credit, free WiFi, and access for two at The Top, Level 124 in the Burj Khalifa).
- Other top 10 accolades: Armani Hotel Dubai also features in my top 10 list of luxury hotels owned by celebrities.
2. ROSEWOOD LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM
Rosewood London embrace guests within one of London’s most historic thoroughfares, where the city meets Covent Garden and the West End on High Holborn. Blending English heritage with contemporary sophistication, the palatial building that houses the hotel has been sensitively renovated to create an ultra-luxurious hotel with the ambience of a stylish London residence. Guests arrive through an archway that opens into a grand Edwardian courtyard, in a little oasis of tranquillity unique among London luxury hotels. It is the perfect start to a memorable stay in a timeless heritage hotel. Informed by the grand traditions of a British manor home, the five-star hotel’s stylish interiors –all dreamed up by designer Tony Chi and Associates– are crafted from the finest materials and appointed to the highest standard. Rosewood London offers its guests true urban sanctuaries, with 262 rooms and 44 suites that are among the largest in London. The hotel also features fine dining venues (don’t miss the exceptional Sunday brunch), a luxurious spa, fitness centre, and premier conference and event facilities alongside impeccable, individual service.
- Hotel website: Rosewood London
- Other accolades: The Rosewood London features in my top 10 list of the most amazing city hotels in Europe and my list of the best new luxury hotels of 2013.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g.room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and $100 USD food & beverage credit).
- Review: read my review of the Rosewood London here.
1. AMAN TOKYO, JAPAN
Occupying the top six floors of the massive Otemachi Tower, Aman Tokyo is an urban sanctuary high above the atmospheric whirl of tradition and modernity that epitomizes Tokyo. The hotel draws its design inspiration from traditional Japanese residential structures, with classic Japanese materials such as timber, Washi paper and stone blended to great effect with modern technology and luxurious fabrics. The boundaries between each space are broken down, providing a fluid transition from one area to the next. There is also a continuous reference to nature, from the Otemachi Forest and the hotel’s inner garden, to the fabrics and art incorporated into the design. The hotel is managed by Aman, the world’s most exclusive hotel brand, and has 84 rooms and suites, all with unique layouts, magnificent city views and every contemporary convenience. Each room has a large furo, a deep soaking tub intrinsic to the Japanese ritual of bathing. There is also a continuous reference to nature, from the hotel’s inner garden in the phenomenal lobby, to the fabrics and art incorporated into the design.
- Hotel website: Aman Tokyo
- Other accolades: Aman Tokyo also features in my lists of the hottest luxury hotel openings of 2014, the best Aman hotels in the world, the top 10 most amazing hotel lobbies in the world, the best luxury hotels in Japan, the best hotel breakfasts in the world, the best luxury hotels in Tokyo, and my 10 favorite luxury hotels in the world.
- Tip: enjoy complimentary VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD food & beverage credit).
- Review: read here my review Of Aman Tokyo.
*** Follow me on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for a daily moment of travel inspiration ***
Wow, these look amazing! I’m surprised Singapore and New York didn’t make the list. I’m a huge fan of Mandarin Oriental hotels too. Either way, I’ll need to start bookmarking these!
Great article! Very informative, thank you!
That’s a great article, All the hotels looks excellent.
But, personally my favorite is ONE&ONLY of CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA.
Wow nice article keep share your experience with us..
Great List! Thanks for sharing this wonderful post. All the hotels are look excellent. But my favorite is Rosewood London I really like this post and found very informative. I am glad to found this post. Thanks for sharing. https://marbleprivate.com/collective/
Amazing List! These luxurious hotels are looking fabulous. These hotels are perfect to spend quality time with family. I really like this article and found the best hotels. I am glad to found this post. Thanks for sharing and please keep sharing.