Today (May 30, 2016): Top 10 most spectacular hotel rooftops in Europe.
Although I am writing this post on a drizzling day in Belgium, summer is officially here (at least in the Northern hemisphere), so its time to enjoy bird’s-eye views of Europe’s famous cities from the Old Continent’s best hotel rooftops! Rooftops have an irresistible attraction to many travelers, and indeed, it’s hard to resist the allure of sipping on your favorite drink with your friends and/or loved one(s), while gasping at spectacular city views all around you. I hereby present you my selection of Europe’s 10 best hotel rooftop.
There is more information below the slideshow. Think I missed one? Share your favorite European hotel rooftop in the comments section, or take my poll below.
The most glamorous and dazzling ambience in Madrid is now found at The Roof, the exclusive bar on the rooftop terrace of the ME Madrid Hotel in Plaza Santa Ana. With a spectacular panoramic view of the city, The Roof offers a chance to relax under the stars with a cool drink, and just enjoy the music or try a delicious dinner on the terrace. Inside, a stylish VIP bar awaits.
- Hotel website: ME Madrid Reine Victoria
The 266-room JW Marriott Venice Resort & Spa resort, which opened last year, is located on a private island, Sola Delle Rose, in the Venetian lagoon, just a 20-minute ride to central St. Mark’s Square by complimentary shuttle service. The hotel’s rooftop, located on the 4th floor of the main hotel building, offers a breathtaking view of the Venetian lagoon and the resort grounds. It has a nice bar, plenty of lounge chairs, and a beautiful infinity pool. It’s open to hotel guests only.
- Hotel website: JW Marriott Venice
- Other accolades: The JW Marriott Venice Resort & Spa features in my top 10 list of the best luxury hotels in Venice and my list of the most anticipated hotel openings of 2015.
- Review: click here to read my review of the JW Marriott Venice.
Just steps away from the vibrant Dam Square and the Royal Palace, the new W Amsterdam Hotel features 238 stylish guest rooms and suites and spreads across two historic buildings. On the sixth floor of the Exchange building, a glass-walled, rectangular-shaped lounge extends over the entire top of the building, with several outdoor terraces offering terrific city views, one of them coming with a heated pool.
Tucked away in a quiet side street, Mandarin Oriental Munich offers an enticing mix of Oriental style, German charm and internationally renowned service. Open during the warm summer months, the stunning China Moon Roof Terrace is one of Munich’s best-kept secrets, enjoying a wonderful menu and fabulous 360 degree views of the city. Guests can dine al fresco, sip cocktails or take a dip in our pool (for in-house guests only).
- Hotel website: Mandarin Oriental Munich
- Review: click here to read my review of the Mandarin Oriental Munich.
The crown jewel of the fashion design Ferragamo family’s small chain of hotels, Florence’s Hotel Continentale pays homage to the happy-go-lucky feel of the ‘50s and ‘60s with bubble-gum pink accents. The sky is the limit and provides the perfect background for a sumptuous breakfast or a delightful cocktail at the splendid “La Terrazza” Bar on top of the Consorti tower, a stone throw away from Brunelleschi’s Dome, Giotto’s Bell Tower and Ponte Vecchio.
- Hotel website: Hotel Continentale
With views that touch the clouds and include Tower Bridge, London Bridge, Saint Paul’s Cathedral, Tate Modern, Somerset House, Southbank, London Eye, Houses of Parliament, and the theatre district of Covent Garden, the rooftop bar at the ME London hotel raises the bar in the UK capital on the enjoyment of social life whilst having a drink in the lounge.
- Hotel website: ME London
- Other accolades: ME London features in my top 10 list of the best luxury hotels in London.
The St. Regis Istanbul takes up residence in the most prestigious address in the city, in the Nisantasi district. The hotel’s 7th floor rooftop has stunning views towards Maçka Park and the Bosphorus. It features a fine dining venue as well as a lounge, where guests can enjoy ambient music, signature cocktails, high-end spirits and fine champagne.
- Hotel website: St. Regis Istanbul
- Other accolades: The St Regis Istanbul features in my top 10 lists of the most amazing city hotels in Europe, the best luxury hotels in Istanbul and the best luxury hotels in Turkey, as well as in my list of the most anticipated hotel openings of 2015.
- Review: read here my review of the St. Regis Istanbul.
Mandarin Oriental Barcelona’s rooftop terrace has a stylish pool, with trendy loungers besides it, from which to absorb the city views as you take a dip. Some of the landmarks visible from the terrace include Antoni Gaudí’s legendary La Sagrada Família and Casa Batlló. Terrat is exclusive to guests in the afternoon before it opens to all (6-11pm) for sundowners and snacks.
- Hotel website: Mandarin Oriental Barcelona
- Other accolades: The Mandarin Oriental Barcelona also features in my top 10 list of the most amazing hotel lobbies in the world.
Built in 1896 as the private home of Prince Roland Bonaparte, the Shangri-La Paris is a fusion of Asian hospitality and French art de vivre. Situated on the 7th floor of the hotel, the Shangri-La Suite with its exceptional terrace and incredible view over Paris is the most coveted in the French capital. Each summer, the Suit(e)-up Lounge allows a happy few to sip champagne accompanied by savory petits fours in a chic and cosy ambiance.
- Hotel website: Shangri-La Paris
- Other accolades: The Shangri-La Hotel Paris also features in my top 10 lists of the best luxury hotels in Paris, the world’s most luxurious city hotels and the world’s most stunning indoor hotel pools.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast for 2, $100 USD hotel credit, early check-in and late check-out).
The ultimate hotel rooftop experience is to have one all for yourself, which is the case when you book the Redentore Terrazza Suite at Venice’s ultra luxe Gritti Palace. The 250 square meter, one-of-a-kind rooftop overlooking the Grand Canal, has a minipool and is equipped with sun lounges and furniture for stylish outdoor living.
- Hotel website: The Gritti Palace
- Other accolades: The Gritti Palace also features in my top 10 lists of the most luxurious hotels in Venice and luxury hotels made famous by Hollywood movies.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade, daily breakfast, $100 USD food & beverage credit, early check-in, and late check-out).
- Review: click here to read my review of the Gritti Palace Venice.