Today (October 26, 2015): Top 10 most luxurious city hotels in Europe.
From London to Istanbul, and from Lisbon to Moscow, the European continent spans a mind-boggling multitude of fascinating urban centers that rank amongst the world’s most beautiful cities, offering unparalleled culture, beauty and history. With visitors from all over the globe flocking to Europe’s celebrated cities, it should come as no surprise that the hotel industry is thriving in the Old Continent, with the world’s most exclusive hotel brands being well represented. I hereby present you the top 10 of the most luxurious city hotels in Europe, that promise to cater for even the most discerning traveler.
There is more information below the slide show. Think I missed one? Share your favorite European city hotel in the comments section, or take my poll below!
Located in the stunning waterfront area of Spain’s most dynamic and stylish city, W Barcelona boasts unparalleled views of both the Mediterranean Sea and the City of Barcelona from most of its 473 fabulous guest rooms and suites. Rising like a sail from the Mediterranean’s brown sands, it is as much a work of modern art as it is a luxury brand hotel. Designed by world-renowned architect Ricardo Bofill and somewhat reminiscent of Dubai’s famous Burj al-Arab hotel (one of the most expensive hotels in the world), the W Barcelona sets the scene for a spectacular stay just steps from the famous Barceloneta boardwalk.
- Hotel website: W Barcelona
- Other accolades: W Barcelona features in my top 10 list of the world’s best hotel rooms with a spectacular view.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and USD $100 food or spa credit).
- Review: click here to read my review of the W Barcelona.
Birthplace of Renaissance art and architecture, Florence is regarded as one of the world’s most beautiful destinations. But it’s not just the art. The city remains a leader in fashion, architecture and fine dining while retaining its Old World landscape. Explore it all while staying in luxury at the five-star Four Seasons hotel, which is located in a former 16th-Century convent near Giardino della Gherardesca, one the oldest, largest and most elegant Florentine gardens in the city. Here, you can enjoy 116 opulent and inviting luxury hotel rooms and suites – along with signature Four Seasons service – as you relax, dine and celebrate in beautiful and historic spaces decorated with original Florentine art and craftsmanship.
Built on the site of a former 14th century monastery, Mandarin Oriental, Prague is both a five-star luxury hotel and a wonderfully preserved piece of history. Enjoying a peaceful location on a quiet cobbled street of picturesque Malá Strana on the left bank of the Vltava River, the hotel is a serene retreat infused with centuries of character and a style that blends contemporary design with period features. With 79 elegant rooms, 20 individually decorated suites, excellent dining and a luxurious spa (the only spa in the world located in a former Renaissance chapel!), the hotel offers a truly unique five-star experience in the heart of the Czech Republic’s prettiest city.
- Hotel website: Mandarin Oriental Prague
The stunning Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam hotel provides an opulent base in the heart of the grand Herengracht on the UNESCO World Heritage listed canal setting, from which to explore the vibrant city of Amsterdam. Boasting a historical exterior comprising six monumental 17th and 18th century double-front canal palaces and featuring a unique grand staircase built by the architect of Louis XIV, Daniel Marot, the luxury hotel offers sophisticated comfort and unparalleled service. The hotel has 93 spacious and sumptuous rooms and suites overlooking the city’s canal or the courtyard garden and featuring expansive bathrooms.
- Hotel website: Walfdorf Astoria Amsterdam
- Other accolades: The Waldorf Astoria features in my list of the best luxury hotels that opened their doors in 2014 and my top 10 list of the best luxury hotels in Amsterdam.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and $100 USD food and beverage credit).
In the summer of 2014, Hong Kong-grade luxury moved into the City of Light with the opening of the Peninsula Paris. It is the first European property of The Peninsula Hotels brand, which is widely acclaimed as one of the most exclusive hotel brands in the world. The Peninsula Paris is located in a late 19th century classic Haussmanian building, which first opened as one of Paris’s most luxurious “grands hotels” in 1908. Steeped in history, the property has been meticulously restored and discreetly modernised with the ultimate in 21st century convenience. The Peninsula houses 200 luxurious rooms, including 34 suites. Six years in the making, some of France’s finest artisans were hand-picked to undertake this stunning restoration.
- Hotel website: The Peninsula Paris
- Other accolades: The Peninsula Paris features in my list of the best new luxury hotels of 2014 and my top 10 list of the best luxury hotels in Paris.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g.room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, $100 USD food & beverage credit, and complimentary soft drink mini bar, and a welcome amenity).
Armani Hotel Milan is located in the world-famous couture district, known as Quadrilatero della Moda, only a few minutes away from the luxury shopping streets of Via Montenapoleone and Via della Spiga, the famous La Scala theatre and the spectacular Piazza del Duomo. The hotel brings to life the “Stay with Armani” philosophy delivering a genuine home approach and a unique lifestyle experience where every need, desire and whim is fulfilled for each guest individually. The Armani style and philosophy defines every detail of the 95 guestrooms and suites. Each element has been personally designed by Giorgio Armani and chosen for sculptural, aesthetic and sensual qualities
- Hotel website: Armani Hotel Milan
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g.room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, $100 USD food & beverage credit, and a welcome Armani amenity in room upon arrival).
Nestled in the heart of Nisantasi, the spectacular St. Regis Istanbul is surrounded by the exclusive district’s shops, dining, art, and entertainment. Mere steps away are such destinations as Macka Park, the convention center, the city center, and the Bosporus. The property has two signature restaurants: an intimate rooftop terrace venue and an eclectic French brasserie. The hotel’s 118 sumptuous accommodations – including 10 suites, one of them being designed by Bentley – boast a unique identity of discrete luxury, timeless elegance, and compelling grace. All guests enjoy the elevated level of bespoke service of the St. Regis Butler. It openend ths year and is our favorite property in Istanbul already!
- Hotel website: St Regis Istanbul
- Other accolades: St Regis Istanbul features in my lists of the most anticipated hotel openings of 2015, the best luxury hotels in Turkey, the best luxury hotels in Istanbul, and Europe’s best hotel rooftops.
- Review: click here to read my review of the St Regis Istanbul.
Rosewood London, currently the finest five-star hotel in London, is situated in one of the UK capital’s most historic thoroughfares, High Holborn, a road that dates back to Roman times. Blending English heritage with contemporary sophistication, the Edwardian, Grade II-listed building that houses the hotel has been sensitively renovated to create a luxury hotel with the ambience of a stylish London residence. Rosewood London offers its guests true urban sanctuaries, with 262 rooms and 44 suites that are among the largest in London. Informed by the grand traditions of a British manor home, the five-star hotel’s stylish interiors – all dreamed up by designer Tony Chi and Associates – are crafted from the finest materials and appointed to the highest standard.
- Hotel website: Rosewood London
- Other accolades: The Rosewood London features in my list of the best new luxury hotels of 2013 and my top 10 list of the best luxury hotels in London.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g.room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and $100 USD food & beverage credit).
- Review: click here to read my review of the Rosewood London.
Overlooking Am Hof square (the largest and oldest square in the inner city of Vienna), the Park Hyatt Vienna enjoys a terrific location within the First District of the city, which is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The ultraluxurious property occupies a 100-year-old listed building that formerly served as the headquarters of a bank. The hotel’s 143 spacious guestrooms, including 35 suites, rank amongst the largest in the city, brilliantly combining contemporary style with local Viennese accents. With a world-class fine-dining venue and a gorgeous swimming pool located in the former bank’s vault, the Park Hyatt Vienna has become the Austrian capital’s best luxury hotel only one year after its official opening.
- Hotel website: Park Hyatt Vienna
- Other accolades: Park Hyatt Vienna features in my list of the best new luxury hotels of 2014.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade on arrival, daily full breakfast, $100 USD food credit, complimentary one-way private airport transfers to/from Vienna International Airport, early check-in, and late check-out).
- Review: click here to read my review of the Park Hyatt Vienna.
As sumptuous and romantic as the city itself Aman Venice – located within a phenomenal 16th-century Palazzo Papadopolion on the Grand Canal – is currently the most (ultra)luxurious property in the city and home to museum-quality treasures including Tiepolo frescoes, gilded ceilings and centuries-old leather wall coverings. More home than hotel, Aman Venice offers the rare privilege of space in the centre of the Floating City. High ceilings and spacious light-filled salons are joined by two mature outdoor private gardens and a small rooftop rarely seen in the city. With views to the hotel’s private garden or the Grand Canal, many of the 24 rooms and suites feature protected frescos and reliefs. The hotel belongs to Aman, the world’s most exclusive hotel brand.
- Hotel website: Aman Canal Grande Venice
- Other accolades: Aman Canal Grande Venice features in my top 10 list of the best luxury hotels in Venice and my list of the best new luxury hotels of 2013.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade, daily breakfast, one lunch for two, early check-in, and late check-out).
- Review: click here to read my review of the Aman Venice.