Today (July 28, 2014): top 10 most luxurious hotels in New York.
New York, New York, if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere. The Big Apple, one of the most beautiful cities in the world, represents the ultimate cosmopolitan destination and defines the urban lifestyle. Here, you can visit some of the world’s best museum collections, shop till you drop, attend world-class performances, enjoy world-class free attractions, and find yourself having to make tough choices when it comes to dining out. I hereby present you my selection of the 10 best luxury hotels in Manhattan, with the world’s most luxurious hotel brands being well represented.
There is more info below the slide show. Think I missed one? Share your favorite New York City hotel in the comments section, or take my poll below!
Park Hyatt’s new flagship hotel, one of the best new luxury hotels of 2014, is located in the heart of midtown across from Carnegie Hall and a short stroll from Central Park. The hotel, designed by world-renowned, Pritzker Prize-winning architect Christian de Portzamparc, features 210 generously sized guest rooms including 92 suites. The state-of-the-art guest rooms are among the largest in the city, starting from 475 square feet (44 square meters). The hotel is part of a 90-story mixed-use tower that features 94 Thomas Juul-Hansen-designed luxury spaces with breathtaking views of Central Park and the New York skyline.
- Hotel website: Park Hyatt New York
- Other top 10 accolades: Park Hyatt New York also features in my top 10 list of the world’s most stunning indoor hotel pools
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD hotel credit; for bookings in Park Executive Suites and above, guests additionally receive round trip airport transfers).
- Review: read my review of the Park Hyatt New York here.
Designed by the noted architectural firm Bien & Prince and named in honor of British essayist Thomas Carlyle, the Upper East Side hotel has been a Manhattan landmark for decades. The Carlyle, managed by the famous Rosewood brand, features 188 rooms and suites with stunning views of Central Park and New York, serving an impressive list of guests and visitors. Every American president since Truman has visited, and its rich history includes visiting Royals and heads-of-state.
- Hotel website: The Carlyle, a Rosewood Hotel
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, welcome amenity, $125 USD spa credit, WiFi, and complimentary cover charge for two).
Crosby Street Hotel is situated on a quiet cobbled street in the heart of New York’s vibrant SoHo neighbourhood. There are 86 bedrooms and suites over 11 floors. Each has high ceilings and full length windows. Interior design by Kit Kemp reflects a fresh, contemporary style. There is The Crosby Bar, a private leafy garden, several stylish private event and meeting rooms, a luxurious 99 seat screening room and fully equipped gym.
- Hotel website: Crosby Street Hotel
The Standard, High Line hotel is located inside a 18-story tower arching over the High Line in the heart of Downtown Manhattan’s Meatpacking District, offering dizzying vistas of the New York skyline and the mighty Hudson River. All 337 rooms and suites feature floor-to-ceiling windows, 300-thread-count Italian linens, and iPod-ready sound systems. Le Bain, on the top floor, is one of the most spectacular rooftops in the world. During the summer, there’s a plunge pool on the dance floor and a crêperie on a “grass” covered rooftop.
- Hotel website: The Standard, High Line
The Greenwich Hotel, co-owned by famous actor Robert De Niro, is nestled in TriBeCa’s cobblestone streets, offering intimacy, discretion, and easy access to shopping, nightlife and all New York has to offer. The hotel has 88 rooms and suites, of which no two are alike. Furnishings draw from a wide range of cultural influences, from hand-loomed, Tibetan silk rugs to English leather settees. Bathrooms are designed in unique patterns of hand-laid Moroccan tile or Italian Carrara marble. Modern technology complements the hotel’s old-world charm.
- Hotel website: The Greenwich Hotel
- Other top 10 accolades: The Greenwich Hotel also features in my top 10 list of luxury hotels owned by celebrities.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD spa credit).
Fifth Avenue’s sophisticated St. Regis hotel offers the quintessential New York experience. The dramatically renovated and redesigned 164 guest rooms and 65 suites feature chic, textured fabric walls and marble tiled entryways, rich color schemes with bold accent colors, sumptuous fabrics and luxe leather details, custom furnishings and state of the art technologies. An extensive art program, with emphasis on New York City photography by Janet Arsdale and Hampton Hall, is integrated into every guest room and suite.
- Hotel website: The St Regis New York
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and afternoon tea for two).
For the discerning traveller, Langham Place Hotel, Fifth Avenue in New York delivers an engaging blend of modern luxury and urban sophistication. Located in Midtown Manhattan, near Times Square and Grand Central Station and in the shadow of the epic Empire State Building, the hotel stands at the crossroads of art, fashion and design. Comprising 157 stylish guest rooms and 57 ultra-luxurious suites, Langham Place, Fifth Avenue is designed to inspire and destined to reflect the vibrancy, sophistication and culture of the world’s most inspiring city – The Big Apple.
- Hotel website: Langham Place Fifth Avenue
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD food & beverage credit).
The 52-story Trump International Hotel & Tower is simply dedicated to exceeding expectations with its impeccable style, spectacular service and luxurious amenities, including a personal Attaché service exclusive to Trump. The 176 luxury suites and guest rooms feature fully equipped kitchens, and floor-to-ceiling windows designed to frame the unparalleled views of Central Park to perfection. A 30 million dollar renovation completed in 2010 supplied plush seating, rich wood finishes, burnished gold leaf and bronze mirrors and handcrafted Schonbek crystal chandeliers.
- Hotel website: Trump Hotel Central Park
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD spa or food & beverage credit).
After experiencing the exhilarating whirlwind that is New York City, you can return to the serenity of Four Seasons. On Midtown Manhattan’s exclusive East 57th Street, the hotel invites you to live the ultimate New York lifestyle in a 52-storey tower designed by I.M. Pei. The spectacular lobby is steeped in grand tradition, highlighted with art deco lamps and a backlit onyx ceiling. More like private residences, the 368 guest rooms and suites are among New York’s largest luxury hotel accommodations, many with spacious terraces and breathtaking Central Park views.
Enjoying a prime location on top of the Time Warner Center at the southwest corner of Central Park, and within easy reach of all of the city’s legendary sites, shops and attractions, this luxurious hotel enjoys an unbeatable setting in the midst of the action. Stunning floor-to-ceiling windows overlook the Hudson River, Central Park and Manhattan’s glittering skyline, while the 198 sumptuous rooms and 46 spacious suites offer the ultimate blend of style, comfort and luxury. The spa is one of the best on the island of Manhattan.
- Hotel website: Mandarin Oriental New York
- Other top 10 accolades: The Mandarin Oriental New York also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most luxurious city hotels and the best luxury hotels in the USA.