Today (February 15th, 2016): world’s best honeymoon resorts.
It’s that time of the year again to celebrate love and romance all over the world. If you accepted a wedding proposal yesterday on Valentine’s Day and want to have a truly romantic honeymoon, then I am sure that you will appreciate my recommendations for the world’s most amazing honeymoon hotels. From posh overwater villas to secluded rooms with private plunge pools, from spectacular outdoor suites to your very own private villa yacht, here is my list of the 10 most romantic and idyllic honeymoon hotels in the world.
There is more information below the slideshow. Do you agree or have a favorite that didn’t make my list? Leave it in the comments or take my poll below.
Alila Villas Uluwatu is located in the dry savannah landscape of the Bukit Peninsular in the South of the island. Poised on an elevated plateau that meets with limestone cliffs sweeping down the Indian Ocean, the view from the hotel is nothing less than breathtaking. Blending in with these spectacular surroundings, the architecture of the hotel combines the delights of traditional Balinese pavilion architecture and rural landscapes with modern dynamic treatment of space and form. The spectacular yet serene, open-plan rooms with minimalistic interiors are designed to impart comfort and space.
- Hotel website: Alila Villas Uluwatu
- Other accolades: Alila villas Uluwatu also features in my top 10 list of my favorite luxury hotels in the world and the best luxury hotels in Bali.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and $100 USD food & beverage credit).
- Review: to read my review of Alila Villas Uluwatu, click here.
With 9 overwater villas in addition to 18 Garden and Beach Villas, this resorts is pure 5-star-plus luxury that you might not expect in Cambodia. Certainly not cheap, the resort operates on an all-inclusive basis for all guests, including extras like free laundry service, so it’s a better value than it might otherwise seem. The Overwater Villas here are all huge and each has a private pool out on the deck, and all the super-luxury amenities you’d want as well. Even so early in its life (the resort opened in 2011), Song Saa has earned a reputation for impeccable service and excellent cuisine.
- Hotel website: Song Saa Private Island
- Other accolades: Song Saa Private Island also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most beautiful overwater bungalows and the most astonishing beach retreats in Asia.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, 1 bottle of Champagne on arrival, and one 60 minute massage or a Discover Scuba session per adult once during stay).
Located in the romantic setting of Imerovigli in the northwest of the Greek island, high above Santorini’s Caldera, Grace Santorini is the perfect vantage point from which to enjoy the famed Santorini island sunsets that envelop Greece’s Cyclades Islands. With its jaw-dropping location, spectacular infinity pool, heart-stopping views, and luxurious accommodations, Santorini Grace may be the ultimate expression of a boutique hotel in the iconic Greek Island and the perfect spot to spend your honeymoon.
- Hotel website: Grace Santorini
- Other accolades: Grace Santorini also features in my top 10 list of the most beautiful hotel pools in the world and swimming pools with the world’s most breathtaking views.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade, daily breakfast, complimentary one-way private airport transfers, welcome amenity of bottle of champagne, fruit and chocolates, early check-in, and late check-out).
- Review: To read my review of Grace Santorini, click here.
Imagine paradise. Tropical island sands. Swaying palms. Endless turquoise waters. Open your eyes and you will be in Naladhu, a gorgeous resort sharing a ridiculously clear lagoon with its sister resorts Dhigu and Veli. Maldivian for ‘beautiful island’, Naladhu offers a mosaic of timeless moments on the blue waters of the Indian Ocean. The resort is very exclusive as it has only 20 expansive villas and houses, each with a magnificent private pool fronting the azure Indian Ocean, unsurpassed comfort, and a graceful elegance that never goes out of style.
- Hotel website: Naladhu
- Other accolades: Naladhu also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s best hotels with private plunge pools and the most insanely beautiful resorts in the Maldives.
- Review: click here to read my review of Naladhu.
At Ivory Lodge Lion Sands, you can experience the African Bushveld in lavish comfort and in a perfect setting for your honeymoon. Each of the 6 suites is surrounded by untamed African Bush and are operated as a private villa. They all include a private rim flow pool, exquisitely appointed large dedicated bedroom and lounge, and simply more of everything. For the more adventurous souls, a once in a lifetime experience (and that is what a honeymoon is supposed to be), and the ultimate African bush experience, you may prefer to stay at one of the ultraluxurious and romantic treehouses.
- Hotel website: Ivory Lodge Lion Sands
- Other accolades: Ivory Lodge Lion Sands, South Africa, also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most amazing outdoor hotel rooms and Africa’s best safari lodges.
Nestled within more than 2,170 acres of pristine Caribbean jungle, Amanera overlooks the ocean from Playa Grande, whose golden sands make it one of the region’s most beautiful beaches. The resort is located alongside the lauded fairways and greens of Playa Grande. Amanera has 25 free-standing Casitas, that all come with ocean views from an expansive terrace, as well as a private garden and biodiverse roof that seamlessly blends with its surroundings. Thirteen casitas have a private pool, and these are the one to choose for your honeymoon.
- Hotel website: Amanera
- Other accolades: Amanera also features in my list of the 40 hottest luxury hotel openings of 2015.
Wrapped by majestic views, Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora is surrounded by sand-fringed islets on an outer coral reef that enclose a turquoise lagoon. The resort offers 121 spacious hideaways with 100 over-water bungalows and 7 beachfront villas, all overlooking the lagoon’s crystal clear waters and some with spectacular views of Mount Otemanu. Inspired by local architecture, all guest accommodations offer a restful, airy ambience. Special touches that accentuate the feel of Polynesia include striking works of art, private pools and deep bathtubs with panoramic views of the lagoon.
- Hotel website: Four Seasons Bora Bora
- Other accolades: Four Seasons Bora Bora also features in my top 10 lists of the best luxury resorts in Bora Bora, the most spectacular hotel bathrooms in the world, and hotels rooms with a spectacular view.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, $100 USD food credit).
- Review: coming soon.
Soneva in Aqua is the first floating villa in the Maldives and every honeymooner’s dream. The pioneering new boat villa concept of the ultra luxe Soneva hotel group combines all the benefits of the group’s iconic resort’s services and amenities with the freedom and exclusivity associated with a private boat charter. The two-cabin boat features a spacious main cabin with a glass bottom spa and shower facilities, as well as a second room with a king-sized bed and en-suite facilities. Other features include an external raised sun and dining deck, a lower level bar and dining area plus daybeds, lounge seating and a jacuzzi.
- Hotel website: Soneva in Aqua
- Other accolades: Soneva In Aqua also features in my list of the 40 hottest luxury hotel openings of 2015.
- Review: click here to read my review of Soneva In Aqua.
The island has only 11 opulent hand-crafted villas overlooking the pristine, powder-white sands and turquoise waters of the Ile Du Nord eco-reserve. Raised off the ground to catch the cooling Indian Ocean breezes, all villas open up onto a private garden and the beach, and come with plunge pools and outdoor showers. The island’s lounge and dining areas, scenically located health spa and gym, library and dive centre, and a rim-flow swimming pool are all built into a granitic outcrop. The resort was the decor for honeymoon of Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge in 2011.
- Hotel website: North Island
- Other accolades: North Island also features in my top 10 lists of world’s most exclusive private island resorts, the world’s best luxury hotels, the most luxurious resorts in the Seychelles, and the world’s most expensive hotels.
- Review: read here my review of North Island Seychelles.
The impressive design, with individual bridges leading to exceptional infinity pool suites and rugged stoned-faced columns reaching towards the sky, makes Jade Mountain one of the Caribbean’s most mesmerizing resort experiences, especially for honeymooners. With the fourth wall entirely absent, Jade Mountain’s 29 suites (called “sanctuaries”) are stage-like settings from which to embrace the full glory of St Lucia’s twin peaks, the Pitons World Heritage Site, and of course, the eternal Caribbean Sea.
- Hotel website: Jade Mountain
- Other accolades: Jade Mountain also features in my top 10 lists of hotel rooms with the best views, the world’s best luxury hotels, the world’s best resorts with private plunge pools, and the best luxury resorts in the Caribbean.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via a Virtuoso travel agent (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, $100 USD spa credit, early check in, and late check out).
- Review: click here to read my review of Jade Mountain.