Today (October 12, 2020): Top 10 best luxury hotels & resorts in Greece
Home to Apollo, Zeus and Aphrodite, ancient Greece was the birthplace of Western civilization about 4000 years ago. Today, you can still trace the fingerprints of Greek history in the dozens of archaeological sites and museum collections that are scattered throughout the country. But Greece offers so much more than history. Its magnificent coastline is fringed by dazzling beaches while its mountainous interior offers untamed wilderness. Yet perhaps its greatest riches are the famous islands, where traditional Greek architecture intermingles with delicious cuisine, a colorful lifestyle, and spectacular scenery. Greece is also home to some of the world’s most luxurious hotels, and here’s my breakdown of the most exclusive places to stay in this wonderful Southern European nation.
There is more information below the slideshow. Think I missed one? Share your favorite hotel in Greece in the comments section, or take my poll below.
*** Get the most out of your (luxury) trip to Greece with my online Greece travel guide ***
The Hotel Grande Bretagne, a historic landmark situated in the very heart of Athens and established in 1874, offers breathtaking views of the famed Acropolis and Parthenon from its rooftop. This palatial hotel, featuring opulent artwork and precious antiques, has hosted esteemed personalities and heads of states who have experienced the renowned Royal Suite as well as the exclusive butler service. The multi-national guests of this majestic property enjoy the meticulous attention to detail of all the 320 rooms & suites through the perfect matching of old-world elegance with state-of-the-art facilities. All accommodations feature sumptuous fabrics, original artwork and restored antiques from Christie’s and Sotheby’s. Hotel facilities include two distinctive restaurants, two swimming pools (one indoor, one outdoor), a fully equipped gym and the multi-awarded Grande Bretagne ESPA Spa.
- Hotel website: Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and a 3 course lunch for two people).
- Review: read my review of Hotel Grande Bretagne here.
Celebrating the finer pleasures in life, Mystique is a sensual experience on the sun-drenched isle of Santorini. Situated on Oia’s famous cliffs, the stylish Mystique features dazzling views of clear blue crystalline waters, the volcano, and the Aegean Caldera. Surrounded by some of the world’s most beautiful scenery, the resort’s island-style design pays homage to nature in a climate of unabashed luxury. The 35 suites and villas provide a sensorial experience in surroundings of understated elegance, with lovingly handcrafted from wood, local stone, and glass with enticing patterns carved into the walls. Antique textiles and plump, luxurious towels will wrap you in their warmth and comfort. Guests swim in the infinity plunge pools, grab a cocktail at the bar, head to the secret wine cave for a ceremonial wine tasting, and then dine at Charisma Greek or Asea Japanese Restaurant.
- Hotel website: Mystique Hotel
- Other accolades: Mystique Hotel features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most spectacular cliffside hotels and the best hotels in Santorini.
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and one wine tasting for two at the secret wine cave per stay).
- Review: read my review of Mystique here.
Grace Santorini is an exclusive boutique hotel in Santorini, perched 363 meters (1190 ft) above Santorini’s world-famous caldera, offering breathtaking views. Crisp, minimalist and simply marvelous, the hotel skips the ornamentation for vast swatches of pristine white and sea views that stretch to infinity. The 21 innovatively refurbished rooms and suites showcase a contemporary style, combining cutting edge, bespoke design alongside traditional handcrafted pieces whilst the luxurious bathrooms offer double vanity units with marble carved basins and spacious rain showers with mosaic feature walls. Most of the rooms feature outdoor plunge pools while the 400 square meters (4.300 square feet) villa offers a private heated pool and spa. The hotel’s pool is truly spectacular and one of the most photographed swimming pools in the world.
- Hotel website: Grace Santorini
- Other accolades: Grace Santorini features in my top 10 lists of the most beautiful hotel pools in the world, the world’s best honeymoon resorts, the world’s best hotel breakfasts, the best hotels in Santorini, and swimming pools with stunning views.
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, one-way private airport transfers, and one private yoga class for up to two people).
- Review: read my review of Grace Santorini here.
Standing majestically on a private sandy beach of a secluded bay, on the island of Zakynthos, just west of Greece’s mainland and famous for its turquoise waters and Venetian villages, Porto Zante Villas & Spa is a boutique luxury hotel comprising world class luxury villas on the beach, all with private pools, exquisite Greek & Mediterranean cuisine at the Club House restaurant, a luxury Asian fusion restaurant offering delicious fresh Sushi, Sashimi and Thai options, a fabulous waterfront spa, 24-hour five-star hotel services, and an array of unique activities & experiences for families and couples alike. The luxury villas at Porto Zante are decorated and furnished with selected pieces of Armani Casa & Gervasoni, paintings of prominent Greek artists and are equipped with some of the best exclusive amenities including Christofle Paris cutlery & glasses, Bernardaud design porcelain & BVLGARI guest amenities.
- Hotel website: Porto Zante Villas & Spa
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, one 50-minute massage for up to two people, one lunch or dinner for up to two people, and VIP lounge access in all major European airports).
The Romanos, a Luxury Collection Resort, is an exceptional award-winning hotel stretching along Greece’s prime Mediterranean destination of Navarino Dunes at Costa Navarino. Set amid lush olive groves and overlooking the storied waters of the Ionian Sea, The Romanos Resort offers a distinctive and inspiring environment of genuine luxury and heartfelt hospitality. This is the perfect location for unrivaled relaxation within the 321 rooms, suites and villas of The Romanos Resort – be sure to book one of the 128 that have their own infinity pool. The accommodations offer garden, golf and sea views, with the iconic sunset backdrops of the Ionian Sea for an unforgettable experience. Including two signature golf courses – The Dunes Course and The Bay Course – Costa Navarino has been established as the new luxury golf destination in Greece, offering extensive golf facilities nestled in a wonderful sea and olive grove landscape.
- Hotel website: The Romanos, a Luxury Collection Resort
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking The Romanos via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD resort credit).
On the northwest tip of the Greek island of Santorini, one discovers the welcoming Canaves Oia Suites hotel in the picturesque village of Oia Santorini. This breathtaking hotel is carved into the cliffside and offers its guests a majestic view of the caldera and the Aegean Sea, creating the ideal setting for a perfect Instagram shot. Canaves Oia Hotel provides tastefully designed facilities and services to ensure a comfortable, fairytale like stay in Greece. Freshly renovated luxury suites offer the ultimate in modern facilities, with spacious living areas and private plunge pools. Blending spectacular vistas with over the top accommodation and impeccable service, these luxury suites will charm even the most eclectic guests. Canaves Oia Suites has two other sister properties in Oia, which offer an even higher degree of luxury and privacy: Canaves Oia Sunday Suites and the phenomenal Canaves Oia Epitome.
- Hotel website: Canaves Oia Suites
- Other accolades: Canaves Oia Suites features in my top 10 lists of the most Instagrammable hotels in the world and the best hotels in Santorini.
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking Canaves Oia Suites via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD food & beverage credit).
- Review: read my review of Canaves Oia Suites here.
Amanzoe – Greece’s most exclusive hotel – is a hilltop property, laying amongst centuries old olive groves. Located within easy reach of a wealth of archaeological sites and the cosmopolitan island of Spetses, the resort boasts panoramic views of the Peloponnese countryside, the glittering tranquil sea, the neighboring vineyards, and the awe-inspiring mountains. Designed by quintessential Aman architect Ed Tuttle, this exclusive haven of unsurpassed beauty has quickly become the Mediterranean playground of those in the know. Classically inspired yet sleekly contemporary, Amanzoe’s Pavilions and Villas open to expansive private terraces, creating a seamless extension of the airy interiors and an unrivaled sense of space and seclusion. A stone’s throw away, the Amanzoe beach club comes with two lap pools and two children’s pools and provides fun and games in total privacy by the water.
- Hotel website: Amanzoe
- Other accolades: Amanzoe also features in my top 10 lists of Europe’s most astonishing beach retreats and my favorite Aman resorts in the world.
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking Amanzoe via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and one lunch for 2).
- Review: read my review of Amanzoe here.