Today: Top 10 best luxury hotels on the Greek island of Mykonos
Lying in the heart of the Aegean Sea, Mykonos is undoubtedly the jewel of the Cyclades and one of Greece’s most popular holiday destinations. Offering dream beaches, azure seawaters, spectacular landscapes, and picturesque whitewashed villages, the small island attracts more than a million visitors each summer. Known as an island that never sleeps, an endless adult playground, and one of the world’s most sought after gay tourist destinations, Mykonos has righteously gained a place among the best party destinations of Europe, attracting renowned DJs and fashionistas. Since Brigitte Bardot, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, and Grace Kelly visited in the 1960s, Mykonos also became a favored holiday spot for the rich and famous, with hip new hotels opening each year. Ticking off the boxes for ambiance, wow factor, and design, here’s my selection of the 10 best luxury hotels on Mykonos.
There is more information below the slide show. Think I missed one? Share your favorite Mykonos hotel in the comments section.
With its bougainvillea-covered courtyard and hilltop position overlooking the Aegean, Belvedere Hotel resembles a picture postcard. Its 49 understated accommodations are light and breezy; new-generation rooms feel very twenty-first century, with “crystal-ice” marble floors and ergonomically designed furnishings. Terrace views of whitewashed Cyclades houses against the crystalline blue sea are sure to enchant, but do pull yourself away to nosh on Nobu Matsuhisa’s signature cuisine. Don’t forget to watch mixologists in the Sunken Watermelon prepare tasty concoctions in choreographed rhythm and to make time for a treatment in the stylish and contemporary Six Senses Spa.
- Hotel website: Belvedere Hotel
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and roundtrip airport transfers).
Just 10 minutes from the airport and town, Santa Marina makes it easy to explore all the island’s must-see attractions – then return to this sanctuary of authentic Aegean beauty at Ornos Bay. Guests can choose from 10 rooms and suites, along with 13 villas featuring two to seven bedrooms. Beach-chic interiors offer modern, natural luxury, opening to balconies with hypnotic Aegean views. Facilities include the only private sandy beach on Mykonos, gorgeous infinity pools, the international-caliber Ginkgo Spa and four options for dining and drinks, highlighted by the world’s first-ever Buddha-Bar Beach. Santa Marina invites guests to savor the glamorous lifestyle of Mykonos in the island’s most fashionable and sophisticated setting.
- Hotel website: Santa Marina
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, roundtrip airport transfers, and $100 USD spa credit).
You’ll be hard-pressed to decide what you love most about Kivotos Mykonos. Is it the private, golden-sand beach, overlooking Ornos Bay? The enormous seawater pool with a swim-up bar? Or perhaps the upper-level pool surrounded by fragrant gardens? Maybe it’s the sense of bliss you find with daily yoga classes, the relaxing hammam, or the therapeutic spa treatments. Truth be told, you’ll relish every moment in this refuge, with 39 suites and two villas that are designed to reflect the spirit of a family home and adorned with an impressive collection of objets d’art. Just-caught seafood in the candlelit veranda completes the experience.
- Hotel website: Kivotos Mykonos
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, roundtrip airport transfers, late check-out, $100 USD resort credit, round-trip airport transfers, 10% discount on private yacht cruises, and a welcome amenity of bottle of wine, fruit and chocolates; for stays of 5 nights or more in rooms and suites, guests also receive one a la carte lunch for two; for stays of 5 nights or more in villas, guests also receive one special 60 min spa treatment experience).
- Review: read my review of Kivotos here.
‘Kalesma’ means ‘inviting’ in Greek, a word that best expresses the ethos of this privately owned luxury boutique hotel, which tumbles down a slope to Ornos Bay. Kalesma’s outstanding location provides panoramic vistas, affording guests the unique opportunity to enjoy both sunrise and sunset from the same spot. The whitewashed pavilions that make up the hotel have been created to resemble a charming Mykonian village. Inspired by Cycladic architecture, Kalesma combines tradition with contemporary elements, offering sleek and minimalist interiors that are created using locally sourced materials. The 25 suites and two large villas blend local flair with high aesthetics, giving guests the feeling of being in an authentic Mykonian neighborhood.
- Hotel website: Kalesma Mykonos
- Review: coming soon
Apollo, the Greek god of healing, was said to be born on the island of Delos, which fronts Mykonos Grand Hotel & Resort. You’re sure to find well-being at this dazzling enclave, a collection of whitewashed cubes scattered across about five acres of prime beachfront. The 96 rooms and suites are generously sized, with clean, streamlined decor; some even have private pools. Get a therapeutic spa treatment by the pool or in a seaside cabana, take a leisurely stroll into charming Hora – Mykonos Town – or swim in the heated outdoor pool. The open-air signature restaurant delivers fine Greek fare with dramatic sunsets. The resort recently opened a super stylish, ultraluxe sister property near Mykonos Town, called Mykonos Riviera Hotel & Spa.
- Hotel website: Mykonos Grand Hotel & Resort
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD resort credit).
Blending cosmopolitan sophistication and barefoot island chic, 5-star Cavo Tagoo is located on the outskirts of Mykonos Town. This sumptuous and super-trendy hotel features a fabulous infinity pool, a surreal aquarium bar, spectacular sunset views, a sublime fine dining restaurant, and an intimate spa offering a host of superb relaxing and therapeutic treatments. Gently tumbling down a hill to the Aegean Sea, the property offers a wide range of 83 luxury rooms and suites, furnished in the chic white and minimalist style that the Cycladic Islands are famous for. You can also book a private villa for that special romantic getaway, and almost all the deluxe accommodations have a terrace or balcony, with options for sea views, private pool and/or Jacuzzi.
- Hotel website: Cavo Tagoo Mykonos
- Other accolades: Cavo Tagoo Mykonos also features in my top 10 list of the most popular hotels on Instagram.
- Review: read my review of Cavo Tagoo Mykonos here.
An intimate seaside retreat on a sunny stretch of Agios Ioannis beach where barefoot luxury is the norm, the adults-only Bill & Coo Coast Suites offer a sanctuary of relaxation, with a seaside location, grounding energy, and fragrant gardens full of lavender, olive trees and prickly pear. Crystal clear waters just perfect for swimming and a beautiful, exclusive beach club are mere steps from the suites. Featuring white washed walls, light oak finishes and airy fabrics, all suites have sea views, with the ground floor suites featuring the additional privacy and luxury of private pools, plunge pools and terraces. Bill & Coo Coast Suites is the sister property of the famous Bill & Coo Suites & Lounge, which is located on a hill close to Mykonos Town.
- Hotel website: Bill & Coo Coast Suites
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD spa credit).
- Review: coming soon
Nestled in the western part of the island of Mykonos, in the cove of Korfos, Aeonic Suites & Spa is Mykonos’ newest 5-star boutique hotel. With its finely crafted architecture, alluring interior design, and minimalist elegance, it’s also one of the island’s most stylish and timeless retreats. Each one of the 34 rooms enjoys its own outdoor space either with either a private pool or a Jacuzzi depending on the room category. Facilities include a large infinity pool overlooking Ornos Bay, an elegant rooftop spa, and one of Mykonos’ best fine dining venues. Aeonic means lasting for an eon or for a lifetime, but what it means to the hotel is “that you can look forward to bliss without any hassle or fuss within the premises of a luxury boutique hotel.”
Set on a low bluff overlooking the world-famous Psarou Beach and thoughtfully designed to reflect the cubist lines of the Cyclades, the 5-star Grecotel Mykonos Blu Resort is all about views, light, and space. Enjoying a dramatic panorama on the Mediterranean’s most glamorous island, the resort’s stunning infinity pool is an adventure of the imagination, while the openness of covered and open-air terraces and lounges is echoed in the luxurious accommodations. The romantic bungalow suites with private pools make this one of the most sought-after hotels in the Aegean. Facilities include two excellent restaurants, an intimate spa, and a private beach club on Psarou Beach.
- Hotel website: Grecotel Mykonos Blu
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, welcome amenity in the room on the arrival day, complimentary round trip transfer from/to airport or port, 15% discount in L’ Archipel and Aegean Restaurant throughout stay, and $100 USD resort credit).
- Review: read my review of Grecotel Mykonos Blu here.
The gods of Mount Olympus would gladly exchange their heavenly roost for one in the Myconian Villa Collection. Luckily, mere mortals (albeit privileged ones) can choose from among this slick grouping of private villas and in-house guest rooms and suites overlooking Elia Bay. All 59 accommodations are designed in traditional Cycladic fashion, with a smart mix of contemporary and classic decor and a host of high-end amenities, including infinity-edge pools (both private and shared), a thalassotherapy spa, and a choice of gourmet restaurants. Myconian Villa Collection is managed by Myconian Collection, a family-owned group of ten leading luxury hotels on Mykonos (which could have filled this top list on their own), including three Relais & Châteaux, two Leading Hotels of the World, two Design Hotels, two Preferred Hotels & Resorts and one Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
- Hotel website: Myconian Villa Collection
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, round trip transfer from/to airport or port, and $100 USD resort credit).