Today (November 23, 2016): Review of the St Regis Mardavall Mallorca (Spain).
- Hotel website: St Regis Mardavall Mallorca
- Location: Google Maps
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso
The Tramuntana Mountains, the luxurious marina of Puerto Portals and the Mediterranean Sea frame the unique St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort, set on the southwest coast of the Balearic Island, close to its capital Palma. Most of the spacious elegantly appointed guestrooms command spectacular views of the Mediterranean Sea and the dining experience ranges from intimate indoor venues to dramatic sea view garden settings. Whichever of the 133 rooms you wake up in, the first sight to greet your eyes as you look out over your private terrace will be the azure blue of the sea.
In this review (there is more information below the slideshow):
- Pros & things I like
- Cons & things to know
- My verdict
- Tips for future guests & save money
- Best time to visit
- How to get there
PROS & THINGS I LIKE
- The St Regis Mardavall Mallorca enjoys a convenient, oceanfront location on the southwest coast of the Balearic Island, which is ideal to explore the island and all it has to offer. The center of the capital Palma de Mallorca and its airport are about a 20 min drive away. The nature reserve and walker’s paradise of Puig de Galatzó, which harbours one of Mallorca’s most distinctive and accessible mountains, can be reached in 30 minutes by car.
- The five-star resort neighbours the luxurious marina of Puerto Portals. The latter is known as Mallorca’s most prestigious nautical and leisure complex, with glamorous shops, expensive fine dining venues and flashy boats moored in the marina. It’s the perfect setting for some fascinating people watching!
- The hotel was constructed in the year 2002 and opened as member of The Luxury Collection. In 2008, the property underwent a rebranding and changed to the St. Regis brand, one of the highest quality brands in the Marriott group and one of the world’s most luxurious hotel brands. During the rebranding, the whole hotel (both inside and outside) went through a 3 million Euro refurbishment overseen by the famed designer Claudio Carbone whose use of color to create different atmospheres can be clearly seen throughout the spa hotel.
- Built in the style of a grand Spanish mansion, the elegant property is characterised by a majestic driveway, intimate courtyards, impressive arches, big lawns, and lovely fountains. The rooms and central facilities are housed in four, interconnecting ochre-hued stone buildings, that are set in magnificent, lush mediterranean gardens facing the azure blue waters of the Mediterranean Sea.
- The eyecatcher of the hotel is the spectacular, two-storey lobby in the main hotel wing. Upon entering the predominantly white space, your attention will be drawn towards the colourful ornate light that hangs from the domed ceiling. Below, a majestic staircase leads to the world’s largest model of the famous Swedish ship WAGA. At night, dozens of candles illuminate the lobby creating a very warm and romantic atmosphere.
- The 125 spacious rooms – around 80 of them being suites – come in different categories. During my visit, I stayed in Junior Suite, which featured hand-made, tastefully arranged furniture and subtle pastel tones, fitting the Mediterranean style of the property. The heavenly kingsize bed was equipped with luxurious linens and a 7-zone latex mattress. The suite opened onto a spacious balcony featuring marvelous views of the sea and tropical gardens.
- The marble bathrooms are stocked with Remède toiletries (soap, lotion, shampoo), which are amongst the best in the hotel industry.
- The St Regis Mardavall has an excellent spa facility within the boundaries of the property. The Arabella spa is one of Europe’s largest spa facilities, and competent and attentive staff members offer the highest quality wellness applications. The spa features 11 well-equipped treatment rooms, in addition to a jacuzzi, Egyptian brine bath (with underwater music), saunas, ice cave and jet shower. I highly recommend the signature massage.
- The verdant foliage and lavishly appointed pool area in the center of the gardens is a peaceful respite from Mallorca’s crowded beaches. Here, you can take a dip in the large, 3-leveled pool and lounge afterwards in the warm Mediterranean sunshine while savoring snacks and cool drinks from the café and bar.
- When the weather is cold or after a day of pampering at the Arabella Spa, you can relax in the spa’s heated indoor pool, which leads to an outdoor section set amidst a beautiful tropical landscape.
- The fitness center – adjacent to the spa’s reception area – is fully equipped with Technogym machines, from elliptical machines and treadmills to stationary bikes and stair climbers – and each machine is integrated with individual TV sets and advanced cardiovascular monitors.
- There are two fantastic restaurants for guests to enjoy. The hotel’s signature restaurant is the Michelin-starred dining venue Es Fum, where surprising creations from the head Chef Rafael Sánchez are prepared with best ingredients of Majorca and the Balearics. It’s here that I had one of the best meals in my life (you can watch the photos below or my Youtube clip above). The other restaurant, Aqua, is a more casual, Majorcan style eatery which serves dishes with a specific focus on Spanish and Italian flavors.
- Besides the two restaurants, the resort has a further three bars where you can savour some relaxed moments among family and friends. One of them, the lobby bar Es Vent, has billiards and a wide selection of cigars and whiskies. Here, Champagne sabering can be experienced each evening.
- The breakfast buffet, displayed in the semi-open kitchen of the Aqua Restaurant, is a nice spread of fresh fruits, cold meats, and breads. There are also plenty of hot dishes to choose from.
- While in residence, guests enjoy St Regis butler service, 24 hours a day. St Regis Butler Service has been the signature of the St Regis experience for over one hundred years. From a forgotten travel item, to a perfectly pressed suit ready for an important meeting, to a favorite book at hand for an evening read, or a thoughtful, last-minute gift for a loved one, no request is too small or unattainable no matter the hour of the day.
- WiFi is complimentary, as long as you have made your reservation on the official hotel or Marriott website.
- The hotel offers a small paradise for younger guests, aged between 3 and 12 years. The Kids Club is equipped with a separate and shaded pool area, as well as an excellent playground close to the pool area.
- Guests of hotel can swing their clubs at the Arabella golf courses Son Vida, Son Muntaner and Son Quint as well as at the 9-hole Son Quint Executive course. A complimentary Shuttle Service is available for getting around to the different golf courses.
- Service is impeccable, as you would expect from a hotel of this caliber. From arrival until departure, I felt pampered by the amazing staff and management. From doormen and receptionists to the housekeeping staff and the butlers, everyone is there to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. This is St Regis at its best!
CONS & THINGS TO KNOW
The magnificent design, the lush gardens, in- and outdoor pools, excellent fine dining options, and sprawling grounds make the St. Regis Mardavall one of the best luxury hotels in Mallorca and Spain. There are only a few things that you need to know when considering a stay here:
- Although located oceanfront, there is a hedge and gate that separate the resort’s garden from a walking path along the rocky shoreline. The property does not have a beach, and the only beach within walking distance is nothing glamorous, which is somewhat disappointing in a destination where pretty beaches are plentiful.
- The grand, classic design of the hotel lacks a little modernity, especially in the rooms, which feature thick carpeting and dark wood ornaments. Of course, this depends on someone tastes, but if you like contemporary, airy, minimalist design, you may not like this hotel.
- Location: 8/10
- Design: 8/10
- Pool: 9/10
- Resort grounds: 9/10
- Rooms: 8/10
- Food: 9/10
- Breakfast: 9/10
- Spa: 9/10
- Service: 9/10
- Value for money: 9/10
- Overall experience: very good: 8,7/10
TIPS FOR FUTURE GUESTS & SAVE MONEY
- Save money: enjoy complimentary VIP perks at St Regis Mardavall Mallorca when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade on arrival, daily continental breakfast, $100 USD food & beverage credit, early check-in and late check-out).
- Save money: book your room with an additional 25% off making use of a Best Rate Guarantee.
- Save money: Marriott Bonvoy elite members are well treated here, with – among other benefits – free WiFi, a room upgrade (when available), early check-in or late check-out (when available), and complementary breakfast (for top tier members). Read here my review of Marriott Bonvoy.
- Save money: read my tips for getting the best deal at a luxury hotel like the St Regis Mardavall Mallorca (and/or receive many free perks).
- Room tip: rooms with balconies on the 4th floor have the best, unrestricted views. However, some of the ground floor rooms may be more appealing to families since they have an arched terrace that opens straight out onto the lawn and across the kids pool area.
- The Es Fum restaurant and the Arabella spa are very popular, so make sure to make advanced reservations (before you arrive at the property).
- Read my tips for preparing your trip in time.
BEST TIME TO VISIT
Mallorca enjoys a pleasant Mediterranean climate. Weather here is much more enjoyable than the weather of continental Europe. Summertime in the island tends to be hot and dry, while winters are mild and pleasant. The southeast regions of the island are much warmer than the northwest. In the coastal cities, you will find 300 days of sunshine every year. May/June as well as September/October are the best months for a visit to this beautiful island.
HOW TO GET THERE
Mallorca is easily reached from mainland Europe by plane. The hotel is located a one hour car ride from Palma De Mallorca Airport. Check the Wikipedia page of Palma De Mallorca Airport for a continuously updated list of airlines that offer direct flights to Mallorca.