Today (November 14, 2016): Top 10 best luxury hotels in the Balearic islands.
Last week, I published my top 10 list of the most luxurious hotels & resorts in Spain. Today, I focus on the Spanish Balearic islands, an archipelago in the western Mediterranean Sea, near the eastern coast of the Iberian Peninsula. These islands, especially Mallorca and Ibiza, are some of Europe’s most popular tourist destination because of their sunny climate. While Mallorca caters more to families and discerning travelers, Ibiza is known as an international party destination, attracting many of the world’s most popular DJs to its nightclubs (although Ibiza is currently boosting its identity as a luxury destination). I hereby present you my top 10 pick if the most exclusive hotels in the Balearic Islands.
There is more information below the slide show. Think I missed one? Share your favorite luxury hotel in Mallorca in the comments section, or take my poll below!
Aguas de Ibiza Lifestyle & Spa represents a very personal interpretation of what luxury should be all about. Its location, on Santa Eulalia’s peaceful promenade and the natural surroundings make Aguas de Ibiza a charming hotel from which to explore the beautiful beaches the island has to offer. The hotel also has three outdoor pools (one of them ‘adults only’) with different gardens and terraces where you can sunbathe, relax and enjoy stunning views, with the service of a 5 star hotel. All the hotel’s architectural elements and furniture are arranged seeking harmony in the space. The seashell on the ceiling is a characteristic feature of the rooms, which – according to Feng Shui – eliminates bad energy.
- Hotel website: Aguas De Ibiza
The majestic and elegant Castillo Hotel Son Vida – member of Starwood’s The Luxury Collection’s portfolio – is located high above Palma de Mallorca in the estate of Son Vida. Built in the 13th century, and surrounded by subtropical lush gardens and incomparable views of the Bay of Palma, this enchanting castle invites you to dream. With its 164 rooms and suites, including the iconic LOEWE suite, decorated by the renowned Spanish designer Enrique Loewe, the Castillo Hotel Son Vida has plenty for guests to indulge in. With its relaxed atmosphere and Mediterranean furnishings, the gourmet restaurants and the many bars are the perfect place to hideaway from the heat and sip cooling cocktails.
- Hotel website: Castillo Hotel Son Vida
Very known since the 1950’s, this hotel has a privileged location on the sea-side, with impressive views of the Mediterranean Sea. The hotel is unique for its combination of majestic architecture, inspired in the sober style of the 17th and 18th Century, and the architectural avant-garde style based in the natural colours and the noble materials used for its construction. The hotel has two wings: the Palace with 29 comfortable and luminous rooms with views to the mountain or the sea, and the building Natura with 22 rooms which are decorated with local stone walls and exclusive furniture.
- Hotel website: Hospes Maricel & Spa Mallorca
An elegant sanctuary nestled in the Tramuntana Mountains, Gran Hotel Son Net is a boutique hotel located in an ancient finca dating back to the 17th century. With an attractive pink façade, Gran Hotel Son Net sits in carefully tended gardens with a delightful patio that melds into the hillside. Inside, the renovations have retained the feel of an authentic Mallorcan villa with a 100-year-old olive press as the centrepiece of the restaurant. Guest can wander around the property to enjoy the numerous pieces of modern art such as Frank Stella, Mark Chagall and David Hockney. The hotel also offers two elegant restaurants, a stunning pool surrounded by private cabanas, and a beauty centre.
- Hotel website: Gran Hotel Son Net
Nestled in a secluded bay with direct yacht access, this luxury hotel enjoys an almost private feel. With 179 bedrooms and 26 suites showcasing a minimalist, Ibiza-inspired decor, ME Ibiza offers an indulgent experience for the lifestyle traveler. The hotel presents an array of exclusive pools, adapting to the preferences of almost any traveller. The Rooftop provides a VIP experience with dazzling views accompanied by an infinity style pool and an array of bali beds, available only for adults. The ground floor presents an upbeat environment with daily DJs, bali beds and a delicious poolside menu, also available only for adults. Younger guests can enjoy a fun and personalised service in the children’s pool.
- Hotel website: ME Ibiza
- Tip: enjoy exclusive VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade on arrival, daily continental breakfast, $100 USD resort credit, early check-in and late check-out, and a complimentary 50-minute massage for up to two people).
The La Residencia has a dramatic backdrop of an amphitheatre of lofty mountain crags and offers a stunning panorama over the blue Mediterranean below. The hotel consists of four buildings; two of which date from the XVI and XVII centuries respectively and were originally manor houses. The hotel has 37 doubles, 8 singles, 15 junior suites and 3 suites with private pool and a 3-bedroom villa. Amenities include two outdoor pools, a spa with an indoor heated pool, gymnasium, sauna, outdoor Jacuzzi, two tennis courts, steam room and beauty salon which offers a range of beauty treatments including massage, hydrotherapy, facials and general body pampering.
- Hotel website: Belmond La Residencia
- Tip: enjoy exclusive VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade on arrival, daily continental breakfast, $100 USD resort credit, early check-in and late check-out).
Built on a cliff overlooking the fishing village of Port Soller and surrounded by the Tramuntana mountain range, the Jumeirah Port Soller Hotel & Spa promises a true escape – even appearing to float between the sky and the sea. This intimate luxury hotel houses a selection of 121 airy sea or mountain facing rooms and suites, spread across 11 buildings connected by wonderful scented gardens. Guests enjoy access to their own private balcony or terrace so they can enjoy the picture postcard view at their leisure. The hotel offers of three bars and two restaurants serving Spanish delicacies, while the luxurious Talise Spa, state-of-the-art gym, two swimming pools and a spacious ballroom.
- Hotel website: Jumeirah Port Soller Hotel & Spa
- Tip: enjoy exclusive VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade on arrival, daily continental breakfast, $100 USD food & beverage credit, early check-in and late check-out, complimentary bottle of olive oil along with a hand-made basket from Soller upon arrival in the room, and complimentary tram tickets round trip to experience Soller Village).
Cap Rocat is a former military fortress turned into a luxury hotel located in the most secluded area of the bay of Palma de Mallorca. Stunningly blended into the landscape, this magnificent fortress has been totally refurbished by famed architect Antonio Obrador without altering its unique architecture and its natural environment. Three classes of rooms (totaling just 24) are on offer to please various tastes: Cap Rocat, former shooting pads with private terraces and outstanding views; La Muralla, smaller rooms in the original Soldier’s Quarters; and El Cabo, a single massive suite with stunning private pool and gardens.
- Hotel website: Cap Rocat
- Other accolades: Cap Rocat also features in my top 10 list of the best luxury hotels in Spain.
The Tramuntana Mountains, the luxurious marina of Puerto Portals and the Mediterranean Sea, frame the unique St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort, set on the southwest coast of the Balearic Island, close to its capital Palma. Most of the spacious elegantly appointed guestrooms command spectacular views of the Mediterranean Sea and the dining experience ranges from intimate indoor venues to dramatic sea view garden settings. Whichever of the 133 rooms you wake up in, the first sight to greet your eyes as you look out over your private terrace will be the sea.
- Hotel website: The St. Regis Mardavall, Mallorca
- Other accolades: The St. Regis Mardevall Mallorca also features in my top 10 list of the best luxury hotels in Spain.
- Tip: enjoy exclusive VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade on arrival, daily continental breakfast, 85 Euro food & beverage credit, early check-in and late check-out).
- Review: read here my review of the St Regis Mardavall Mallorca.
Situated on the east coast of Mallorca, the newly opened Park Hyatt Mallorca overlooks the majestic Canyamel valley, offering views of the Balearic Sea and the town of Canyamel. The hotel has 142 spacious and luxuriously appointed guest rooms, and 16 uniquely designed suites, brilliantly combing a blend of sophistication and upscale residential comfort with timeless regional accents. The hotel also offers a sophisticated dining experience centered around a village square, presenting a range authentic cuisines catering to all tastes.
- Hotel website: Park Hyatt Mallorca
- Other accolades: Park Hyatt Mallorca also features in my lists of the most anticipated hotel openings of 2016 and the top 10 best luxury hotels in Spain.
- Tip: enjoy exclusive VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade on arrival, daily continental breakfast, $100 USD food & beverage credit, early check-in and late check-out).
- Review: read here my review of the Park Hyatt Mallorca.