Today (November 16, 2016): Review of the Park Hyatt Mallorca (Spain).
- Hotel website: Park Hyatt Mallorca
- Location: Google Maps
- Tip: enjoy exclusive VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso
Situated on the east coast of Mallorca, the recently opened Park Hyatt Mallorca overlooks the majestic Canyamel valley, offering views of the Balearic Sea and the town of Canyamel. The hotel has 142 spacious and luxuriously appointed guest rooms, and 16 uniquely designed suites, brilliantly combing a blend of sophistication and upscale residential comfort with timeless regional accents. The hotel also offers a sophisticated dining experience centered around a village square, presenting a range authentic cuisines catering to all tastes.
Park Hyatt Mallorca features in my lists of the most anticipated hotel openings of 2016, the top 10 best luxury hotels in Spain, and the top 10 best luxury resorts in the Balearic Islands.
In this review (there is more information below the slideshow):
- Pros & things I like
- Cons & things to know
- My verdict
- Tips for future guests & save money
- Best time to visit
- How to get there
PROS & THINGS I LIKE
- Park Hyatt Mallorca is situated in the beautiful valley of Canyamel in the area of Cap Vermell on the north-east coast of Mallorca. This undiscovered part of the island is a hidden gem in the Mediterranean just waiting to be discovered. For now, the secluded setting offers guests a unique and tranquil environment.
- The resort is designed in the style of an authentic Mallorquín hilltop village, with references of local art and cultural heritage. The lobby and main facilities are centered around a gorgeous Mallorquín village square with a clock tower, Plaza de la Torre, while the accommodations are located up the hill.
- The luxury hotel reflects the unparalleled elegance of the Park Hyatt brand, one of the most exclusive hotel brands in the world. Park Hyatt hotels are internationally renowned for their understated luxury and sophistication, and it’s no different at the Park Hyatt Mallorca, which represents the first Park Hyatt European resort.
- The resort grounds are spread out, but if you don’t like walking, the hotel provides efficient buggy service to get around. In addition, bicycles are available for guests to cycle around within the resort or in the surrounding area.
- Check-in is done in an elegant, homely space with two desks offering a more personalized experience than the usual hotel check-in counter. Across a breezeway from the lobby is the stunning library, featuring floor to ceiling book cases, Italian design furniture, and dark wood floors.
- The hotel offers 142 luxurious and very spacious guest rooms including 16 exquisitely designed suites. During my visit, I stayed in a “view room”, which came with a private terrace that featured stunning views of the verdant Canyamel Valley. The elegant marble bathrooms was equipped with a wet room with rain shower, bathtub and Bottega Veneta products.
- Luxury facilities at Park Hyatt Mallorca include a landscaped poolside terrace featuring three swimming pools, two of which are heated, and a separate children’s splash pool. Guest around the pool are given a little buzzer that they can press whenever they want to order food or need something.
- The resort’s Serenitas Spa offers seven treatment rooms, including two couples’ treatment rooms, each with their own terrace. There is a selection of signature treatments using locally inspired therapies. Inside each locker room is a gender-segregated Himalayan salt sauna, relaxing area, lockers, steam rooms, and showers.
- The resort features some world-class dining options, which are all centered around Plaza de la Torre. The authentic cuisine offered includes locally inspired dishes at the Balearic Restaurant. Additionally, the resort features an Asian restaurant located in a private villa with views over the Canyamel Valley, an all-day Bistro, Café sa Placa, and a stunning tapas bar.
- Breakfast is served at the Balearic Restaurant. You can choose whatever you want from an excellent breakfast buffet that is displayed around the restaurant’s open kitchen, plus you can order off the menu items such as eggs and waffles to complement the buffet.
- High speed wireless internet is complimentary for all guests.
- The dedicated and knowledgable staff – mostly from Spain – offers exceptional service.
CONS & THINGS TO KNOW
The Park Hyatt Mallorca is the best and most exclusive hotel on the island, although is does have some drawbacks that you need to know before considering a booking here:
- The Park Hyatt Mallorca was not designed as a beach resort but as a Mallorquin mountain village overlooking the beautiful valley of Canyamel. It is not located on the sea and does not have direct beach access. In fact, you can only see a small glimpse of the sea at a distance from the resort, so if you want to stay at a beach resort, you will be very disappointed here. Nonetheless, the hotel is in proximity of the beach of Canyamel and many wonderful ‘cala’s with crystalline water for which Mallorca is known for. Canyamel beach is located a 20 minute stroll, a 10 minute bike ride or a 5 min complimentary shuttle ride from the Park Hyatt Mallorca. I feel it would be an improvement though if the hotel would have a private club at Canyamel beach, which currently is not the case.
- The resort is built on a hill, which does have some consequences. Rooms are located up the hill, so you will have to negotiate a lot of stairs if you want to walk (although the resort does provide buggy service). In the early morning hours, the resort is located in the shade of the mountain, but the good news is that you can enjoy sunshine until sunset.
- The hotel is far away from the island’s main commercial airport, Palma Mallorca International Airport, and it takes about one hour for the 75 km (47 miles) journey to get from the airport to the hotel. Renting a car is your best option, so you can explore the surrounding area as well. If you don’t want to drive yourself, the cost for a round trip airport transfer is around 200 euros and can be booked via this website.
- While beautiful designed, the swimming pool terrace is not very large, and I can imagine that finding a seat can becomes a problem when the hotel is running at full occupancy. In addition, the seats around the pool would be more comfortable if they had cushions.
- Location: 7/10
- Design: 9/10
- Pool: 8/10
- Resort grounds: 9/10
- Rooms: 9/10
- Food: 9/10
- Breakfast: 9/10
- Spa: 9/10
- Service: 9/10
- Value for money: 9/10
- Overall experience: very good: 8,8/10
TIPS FOR FUTURE GUESTS & SAVE MONEY
- Save money: enjoy complimentary VIP perks at Park Hyatt Mallorca when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade on arrival, daily continental breakfast, $100 USD food & beverage credit, early check-in and late check-out).
- Save money: make use of Hyatt’s best rate guarantee. If you find a better rate, the Hyatt Hotel Group will match it and give you $50 toward your next stay.
- Save money: elite members of Hyatt’s loyalty program, World of Hyatt, are well treated, with – amongst other benefits – complimentary room upgrade (when available), early check-in or late check-out (when available), and free breakfast. Read here my review of the World of Hyatt program (with pros & cons).
- Save money: read my tips for getting the best deal at a luxury hotel like the Park Hyatt Mallorca (and/or receive many free perks).
- Read my tips for preparing your trip in time.
BEST TIME TO VISIT
Mallorca enjoys a pleasant Mediterranean climate. Weather here is much more enjoyable than the weather of continental Europe. Summertime in the island tends to be hot and dry, while winters are mild and pleasant. The southeast regions of the island are much warmer than the northwest. In the coastal cities, you will find 300 days of sunshine every year. May/June as well as September/October are the best months for a visit to this beautiful island.
HOW TO GET THERE
Mallorca is easily reached from mainland Europe by plane. The hotel is located a one hour car ride from Palma De Mallorca Airport. Check the Wikipedia page of Palma De Mallorca Airport for an updated list of airlines that offer direct flights to Mallorca.
CANYAMEL – THE ARTA CAVES