Today (November 7, 2016): Top 10 best luxury hotels in Spain.
With a balmy climate, thousands km of coastline and vibrant resort cities, Spain is one of Europe’s most popular holiday destinations. But the country’s true beauty isn’t confined to its sandy beaches. For instance, there are its urban and cultural assets (e.g. Sevilla, Granada), pilgrimage routes (e.g. Santiago De Compostela) and phenomenal gastronomy (e.g. San Sebastian). To help you plan your next trip to this fascinating kingdom on the Iberian Peninsula, I compiled a list of my 10 favorite Spanish luxury hotels.
There is more information below the slide show. Think I missed one? Share your favorite Spanish hotel in the comments section, or take my poll below!
Built in 1912 on the initiative of King Alfonso XIII for the pleasure of visiting dignitaries, The Westin Palace Madrid stands even grander after the most extensive renovation in its 85-year history. The hotel is located in the very heart of the city, between Parliament and the Thyssen Museum and just across from the world-renowned Prado. The magnificent building, highlighted by an enormous stained glass dome, has been a centre of Spanish society for almost 100 years. The 467 guest rooms and suites are decorated and furnished with stunning marble, precious fabrics and updated with every modern convenience.
- Hotel website: The Westin Palace, Madrid
- Tip: Enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade, daily buffet breakfast, one complimentary lunch or dinner, early check-in, and late check-out).
- Review: Read here my review of The Westin Palace, Madrid.
With famed architect Frank Gehry’s iconic fish sculpture – known as Peix in Catalan – anchoring its entrance, Hotel Arts Barcelona, a Ritz-Carlton Hotel rises 44 stories above the seafront, making this Barcelona hotel’s façade of blue glass and exposed steel a true beacon of luxury. From a contemporary collection of artistic masterpieces to stunning accommodations that include 28 luxury duplex apartments, to award-winning dining, this luxury Barcelona hotel provides guests with unparalleled access to all this vibrant destination has to offer.
- Hotel website: Hotel Arts Barcelona
- Tip: Enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD food & beverage credit).
Now one of the most impressive structures in the city, The Westin Valenica was originally constructed in a modernist style dating from 1917. Situated within walking distance from the historical, cultural, and shopping center of Valencia, the hotel enjoys the perfect location for discovering the city. Its 135 elegant Art Deco style rooms and suites have a warm, relaxing atmosphere with plenty of natural light and some of them feature private terraces with Jacuzzi. Delectable cuisine is offered in two restaurants, and guests can also unwind and rejuvenate their soul in Caroli Wellness Center.
Since its unveiling in 2006 this masterpiece hotel created by Frank Gehry has become a highly sought after contemporary, luxury retreat. Design, art, gastronomy, wine and the lush landscape all combine to create a memorable sojourn among medieval towns in Elciego. The hotel’s luxurious interior bears the unmistakable stamp of Gehry’s design. Tilted walls, zigzag windows, cathedral-height ceilings and a host of bespoke details create the impression of accommodation as a work of art in its 43 rooms & suites.
- Hotel website: Hotel Marqués de Riscal
- Other accolades: Hotel Marques de Riscal also features in my top 10 list of the quirkiest and most unusual hotels in the world.
- Tip: Enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade on arrival, daily buffet breakfast, $100 USD spa credit, early check-in, and late check-out).
Cap Rocat is a former military fortress turned into a luxury hotel located in the most secluded area of the bay of Palma de Mallorca. Stunningly blended into the landscape, this magnificent fortress has been totally refurbished by famed architect Antonio Obrador without altering its unique architecture and its natural environment. Three classes of rooms (totaling just 24) are on offer to please various tastes: Cap Rocat, former shooting pads with private terraces and outstanding views; La Muralla, smaller rooms in the original Soldier’s Quarters; and El Cabo, a single massive suite with stunning private pool and gardens.
- Hotel website: Cap Rocat
Located in the stunning waterfront area of Spain’s most dynamic and stylish city, W Barcelona boasts unparalleled views of both the Mediterranean Sea and the City of Barcelona from most of its 473 fabulous guest rooms and suites. Rising like a sail from the Mediterranean’s brown sands, it is as much a work of modern art as it is a luxury brand hotel. Designed by world-renowned architect Ricardo Bofill, W Barcelona sets the scene for a spectacular stay just steps from the famous Barceloneta boardwalk.
- Hotel website: W Barcelona
- Other accolades: W Barcelona also features in my top 10 lists of hotel rooms with the best view in the world and the most amazing city hotels in Europe.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and USD $100 food or spa credit).
- Review: read here my review of the W Barcelona.
The Gran Hotel Domine Bilbao, facing the Guggenheim Museum, expresses a contemporary concept. The avant-garde project is infected by its neighbour, the Guggenheim’s, activity, which is reflected on the Lookout Terrace, located on the 7th floor. The Terrace offers breathtaking views of the Guggenheim Museum and surroundings. Accommodations: Gran Hotel Domine Bilbao has 145 rooms and suites. Rooms are spacious and modern with views over the Atrium, interior courtyard, the quiet Lersundi Street, or Guggenheim Museum.
- Hotel website: Gran Hotel Domine Bilbao
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check in, late check out, and a selection of local gastronomy including Basque tapas for two and a bottle of Txakoli).
With Gaudí masterpieces like Casa Milà (“La Pedrera”) and Casa Battló, Barcelona’s main thoroughfare, the prestigious Passeig de Gràcia, has no shortage of architectural stunners. The ultraluxurious Mandarin Oriental Hotel is one of its newest additions, housed in a converted 19th century bank building that now boasts a soaring white atrium and floating “catwalk” leading up to its cream-and-gold-colored lobby. Spanish designer Patricia Urquiola plays with light and space with sliding crystal doors, mirrored ceilings, and intricate latticework. This bright and stylish design style is also omnipresent in the 92 rooms and 28 suites.
- Hotel website: Mandarin Oriental Barcelona
- Other top 10 accolades: Mandarin Oriental Barcelona also features in my top 10 lists of the most spectacular hotel rooftops in the world, the world’s most amazing hotel lobbies, and Europe’s best hotel rooftops.
The Tramuntana Mountains, the luxurious marina of Puerto Portals and the Mediterranean Sea, frame the unique St. Regis Mardavall Mallorca Resort, set on the southwest coast of the Balearic Island, close to its capital Palma. Most of the spacious elegantly appointed guestrooms command spectacular views of the Mediterranean Sea and the dining experience ranges from intimate indoor venues to dramatic sea view garden settings. Whichever of the 133 rooms you wake up in, the first sight to greet your eyes as you look out over your private terrace will be the sea.
- Hotel website: The St. Regis Mardavall, Mallorca
- Tip: enjoy exclusive VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade on arrival, daily continental breakfast, 85 Euro food & beverage credit, early check-in and late check-out).
- Review: read here my review of the St Regis Mardavall Mallorca.
Situated on the east coast of Mallorca, the newly opened Park Hyatt Mallorca overlooks the majestic Canyamel valley, offering views of the Balearic Sea and the town of Canyamel. The hotel has 142 spacious and luxuriously appointed guest rooms, and 16 uniquely designed suites, brilliantly combing a blend of sophistication and upscale residential comfort with timeless regional accents. The hotel also offers a sophisticated dining experience centered around a village square, presenting a range authentic cuisines catering to all tastes.
- Hotel website: Park Hyatt Mallorca
- Other accolades: Park Hyatt Mallorca also features in my list of the most anticipated hotel openings of 2016.
- Tip: enjoy exclusive VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade on arrival, daily continental breakfast, $100 USD food & beverage credit, early check-in and late check-out).
- Review: read here my review of the Park Hyatt Mallorca.