Today (September 8, 2014): Top 10: Restaurants with views that match the food.
Even the most amazing food in the world wouldn’t have quite the same clout if you were forced to eat it while staring at a brick wall. A restaurant with a view can take a dining experience from mediocre to a life-long memorable meal. Whether you’re looking out over a city’s silhouette, the glittering coastline or acres of rolling countryside, check out my top 10 of the world’s best restaurants with views, for memories that last long after your plate is cleared.
There’s more info below the slide show. Think I missed one? Share your favorite restaurant with spectacular views in the comments section, or take my poll below!
One of the highest open-air restaurants in the world, Vertigo offers an al fresco dining experience set atop the roof terrace of the luxurious Banyan Tree Hotel in the heart of Bangkok. As you can expect, Vertigo boasts jaw-dropping views, so you can dine on fork-tender seafood and premium steaks while feasting your eyes on the city’s vast skyline, 61 floors above the city. It is worth getting to Vertigo when the restaurant opens at 17h00 (5 pm) so you can catch a glimpse of Thailand’s capital during dusk.
- Restaurant website: Vertigo Grill
- Other top 10 accolades: Banyan Tree Bangkok’s rooftop also features in my top 10 list of the world’s most spectacular rooftops.
High atop the cliffs of Big Sur, offering breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean, is Sierra Mar, the house restaurant of the Post Ranch Inn Hotel and winner of Wine Spectator’s prestigious Grand Award. Offering an unconventional fine dining experience and eclectic menus, Executive Chef John Cox presents inquisitive food creations featuring ingredients highlighted by a sense of place and culture. Selections from the award-winning wine cellar enhance the innovative, inspired cuisine.
- Restaurant website: Sierra Mar
- Other top 10 accolades: The Post Ranch Inn also features in my top 10 list of the world’s most spectacular cliffside hotels.
- Review: to read my review of the Post Ranch Inn Hotel, click here.
Sweeping views of Hong Kong’s dramatic cityscape captivate diners at th 28th floor Felix restaurant in the Peninsula Hotel, created by avant-garde designer Philippe Starck. Floor-to-ceiling windows look out on the city’s neon skyline, Victoria Harbour ships, and the bustling shopping district of Kowloon. The contemporary menu features fresh seasonal dishes such as crab salad and tuna tartar with dandelion salad, slow-cooked sea bass with black shrimp mousse, and grilled Australian lamb.
- Restaurant website: Felix
- Other top 10 accolades: The Peninsula Hong Kong also features in my top 10 list of the best luxury hotels in Hong Kong and luxury hotels with private helipads and airports.
- Review: to read my review of the Post Ranch Inn Hotel, click here.
Dining at ‘Un Piano Nel Cielo’, the gourmet restaurant of hotel Casa Angelina, reflects the unique personality of the Chef, Vincenzo Vanacore, who creatively communicates through his cuisine his love for fresh produce and culinary traditions which culminates in innovations and culinary delights. The rooftop restaurant with its breathtaking terrace suspended between sky and sea, is the perfect setting to experience a certain Italian-style ‘art de vivre’ with views of Europe’s most spectacular coast.
- Restaurant website: Un piano Nel Cielo
- Review: to read my review of the Casa Angelina Hotel, click here.
Located atop the John Hancock Center, the Signature Room at the 95th floor offers exquisite a la carte food and dazzling skyline views. The elegant wood designs and art deco interior create an inviting and intimate atmosphere, while the floor-to-ceiling windows exhibit breathtaking Chicago skyline views and 360 degree views of the entire city and Lake Michigan. While requests cannot be guaranteed, ask for a window table facing the southwest for the most spectacular city views (towards the Willis Tower).
- Restaurant website: Signature Room at the 95th
Guests and visitors flock to Dasheene, Ladera Resort‘s house restaurant to enjoy the award-winning cuisine and the spectacular views of the Pitons and the Caribbean Sea. Chef Nigel’s cooking renders stylish interpretations of traditional St. Lucian dishes, such as sweet potato and coconut soup, Caribbean lamb salad, roast conch with pickled vegetables served in a yam basket, Cajun Creole vegetable bakes, jerk poulet sausage, plantain gratin with coconut rum sauce and more.
- Restaurant website: Dasheene
- Other top 10 accolades: Ladera St Lucia also features in my top 10 list of the world’s most spectacular cliffside hotels.
- Review: to read my review of Ladera, click here.
From its perch on the Eiffel Tower’s second level, 410 feet (125 m) above the ground, Le Jules Verne offers expansive views of the City of Light. Look out of bay windows over wide boulevards and slate gray rooftops at lunchtime, or go in the evening to see Paris’s twinkling lights.The menu reflects the revered culinary traditions of France, but celebrity chef Alain Ducasse’s team brings a modern touch to classic recipes. Sea bass is cooked in its caramelized juices with just a splash of cream added at the end to intensify the flavor and lighten the dish. The wine list is 100 percent French.
- Restaurant website: Le Jules Verne
The Six Senses Zighy Bay Resort, located on the northern Musandam Peninsula in the Sultanate of Oman, has beautiful indigenous village-style accommodations in a spectacular setting, with the dramatic mountains on one side and the sandy beach of Zighy Bay on the other. Its mountaintop signature restaurant ‘Sense On the Edge’, is the perfect place to enjoy breathtaking views and a very memorable dinner under the stars. There is a choice of five or seven-course set menus accompanied with degustation wines.
- Restaurant website: Senses on the Edge
- Other top 10 accolades: Six Senses Zighy Bay also features in my top 10 lists of the best health spas in the world, the best luxury hotels in Oman, the world’s most amazing beach hotels, and the world’s most outrageous hotel experiences.
- Review: to read my review of Six Senses Zighy Bay Resort, click here.
Executive Chef Christiaan Campbell offers his signature style ‘bistro-chic’ cuisine at the Restaurant of the Delaire Graff Estate in the winelands of the Western Cape. Beautifully presented dishes use the highest quality seasonal ingredients from ethical farmers and organic suppliers, while desserts are a triumph of indulgence and originality. Weather permitting, guests are able to relax on the terrace under a dappled canopy of pin-oak trees while enjoying breathtaking views of the surrounding South African landscape.
- Restaurant website: Delaire Graff Restaurant
- Other top 10 accolades: Delaire Graff Estate also features in my top list of places to visit in & around Cape Town.
The award-winning Andronis Suites Hotel clings to the side of a steep cliff, high above Santorini’s spectacular caldera (the remains of a devastating volcanic eruption 3,600 years ago). Its Lycabettus restaurant, named after a hill in Athens, has a terrace located on dramatic rocky outcrop juts right out over the water, in what must be the most romantic restaurant settings in the world. Traditional Mediterrean recipes are blended with organic ingredients and elements of nouvelle cuisine to create a superlative menu.
- Restaurant website: Lycabettus Restaurant