Today (July 4, 2016): top 10 best luxury hotels in the USA.
The United States of America, where I spent part of my studies, is one of the most hauntingly beautiful countries in the world. It offers its visitors a staggering array of breathtaking attractions, including vibrant cities, spectacular scenery, amazing road trips, phenomenal wildlife, and beautiful beaches. My personal favorites are the mythical cities of New York City and San Francisco, the unspoilt wilderness of Alaska, the jaw dropping beauty of the Hawaiian islands, and the phenomenal landscapes of the National Parks in the West. Today, it’s the 4th of July, a national holiday that commemorates the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, when thirteen American colonies regarded themselves as a new nation, no longer forming part of the British Empire. Independence Day is a good time to give you a round-up of my 10 favorite luxury hotels in one of my most beloved travel destinations, the USA.
What is your favorite hotel in the USA? Leave a comment or take my poll below.
Nestled at the Golden Gate Bridge and once the site of a military base, Cavallo Point Lodge offers a sophisticated hotel experience achieved with ecological intelligence. The exterior of the historic buildings has been beautifully restored, preserving Fort Baker’s original architecture, and giving the lodge a clean, elegant look that harmonizes with the surrounding nature. The elegant but understated rooms and suites, acclaimed restaurant, and world-class Healing Arts Center & Spa will make you feel relaxed, nourished, invigorated and connected.
Enjoying a prime location on top of the Time Warner Center at the southwest corner of Central Park, and within easy reach of all of the city’s legendary sites, shops and attractions, this luxurious hotel enjoys an unbeatable setting in the midst of the action. Stunning floor-to-ceiling windows overlook the Hudson River, Central Park and Manhattan’s glittering skyline, while the 198 sumptuous rooms and 46 spacious suites offer the ultimate blend of style, comfort and luxury. The hotel’s lavish spa is one of the best on the island of Manhattan.
- Hotel website: Mandarin Oriental New York
- Other accolades: The Mandarin Oriental New York also features in my top 10 list of the best luxury hotels in New York City.
Little Palm Island is a close as you can get to an exclusive private island experience in the continental USA. Accessible only by boat or seaplane, this Florida Keys resort is a secluded world of lush tropical gardens, crushed seashell paths, and 30 thatched-roof, Bahamas-style bungalows. With no phones or television, the soundtrack at this resort is the lapping of ocean waves, the rustle of the leaves in the breeze, and the melody of neighboring birds and tree frogs. Days are spent in hammocks fixed to the palm trees, lounge chairs on the small beach, and the world-class restaurant and spa.
- Hotel website: Little Palm Island
- Other accolades: Little Palm Island also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most exclusive private island resorts and the best beach resorts in the USA.
- Review: click here to read my review of Little Palm Island.
High atop the cliffs of Big Sur, 400 meters (1200 feet) above the Pacific Ocean, sits Post Ranch Inn, a sanctuary for the soul and one of the USA’s most prestigious hotels. The rustic retreat is located on the Californian Highway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, which ranks as one of the most scenic roads in the world. With natural architecture embracing the coast’s dramatic beauty and the surrounding redwoods, the 39 rooms blend rustic elegance, comfort and privacy with panoramic ocean or mountain views. Here, romance and connection seem to thrive.
- Hotel website: Post Ranch Inn
- Other accolades: The Post Ranch Inn also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most spectacular cliffside resorts and restaurants with views that match the food.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast for 2, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD resort credit).
- Review: read here my review of the Post Ranch Inn.
The St. Regis Princeville is the legendary brand’s first resort in Hawaii, offering an unparalleled level of tropical sophistication and serene luxury. Located in the 9,000 acre resort community of Princeville at Hanalei, this 252-room resort resides on the northern shore of Kauai, the “Garden Island”. It overlooks Hanalei Bay and the Napali Coast, with views framed by lush tropical hills, cerulean blue skies, puffs of clouds, and mist. The resort provides easy access to the breathtaking scenery of Kauai, considered to be the most spectacular island in the Pacific Ocean.
- Hotel website: The St Regis Princeville
- Other accolades: The St Regis Princeville also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most amazing hotel lobbies, the world’s best luxury hotels to spot celebrities, the most fabulous luxury hotels in Hawaii, and swimming pools with stunning vistas.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and $100 USD hotel credit).
- Review: read here my review of the St Regis Princeville.
Brush Creek Ranch is an ultraluxe resort set on a 30,000-acre working cattle ranch in south central Wyoming. The resort grounds feature rolling hills, verdant river valleys, lush forests and majestic rock formations that create an environment where you can escape in true luxury. It’s a place where genuine Western hospitality, unbridled adventure and a truly inspiring landscape come together to create an exclusive icon in international luxury destinations. The expansive resort features a 38,000-sq ft Trailhead Lodge, a rejuvenating spa, a collection of lodge rooms, cabin suites and residences.
- Hotel website: Brush Creek Ranch
Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas towers 47 stories high above the legendary city. With views of the city and the desert, the hotel offers the perfect mix of style, serenity and luxury in a non-gaming environment. The 23rd floor Sky Lobby is a spectacular entry point to a chic bar, gourmet dining, and discreet luxury. The 392 rooms and suites are fantastically comfortable with a sleek décor incorporating subtle Asian-inspired touches. Bathrooms are spectacular with views through the floor-to-ceiling windows. But nothing compares to the top three suites at the hotel, spanning 3,000 sq. feet each.
Serene and intimate, The Setai is an oasis of tranquility amidst the energy of South Beach. Its design and vision artfully combine the rich architectural history of South Beach’s Art Deco District with the multi-faceted cultural history of the International Art Deco movement, particularly its influence in Asia. Built in the 1930s, the hotel’s landmark Art Deco building on Collins Avenue began as the famed Dempsey Vanderbilt Hotel. Adjacent to the Art Deco building is a 40-story glass residential tower featuring ocean suites, surpassing all around it in elevation, views and design.
- Hotel website: The Setai
- Other accolades: The Setai Miami also features in my top 10 list of the best beach resorts in the USA.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast for 2, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD spa credit).
Amangani clings to the crest of East Gros Ventre Butte, affording magnificent views of the Grand Tetons and Snake River Valley below. Managed by the world’s most exclusive hotel brand, the all-seasons resort evokes the atmosphere of the American West. Sensitively designed with materials native to Wyoming, Amangani features redwood walls, floor-to-ceiling windows, and woven cowhide chairs. Spacious suites include king-sized beds, fireplaces, daybeds, and decks with spectacular mountain views. It’s a perfect place to splurge near the wilderness of Grand Teton and Yellowstone NP.
- Hotel website: Amangani
- Other accolades: Amangani also features in my top 10 lists of the best Aman hotels in the world and the world’s most luxurious ski resorts.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast for 2, one lunch or dinner for 2, early check-in, and late check-out).
Amangiri – Aman’s second property in the USA – is located on 600 acres in Canyon Point, Southern Utah, close to the border with Arizona. The resort is tucked into a protected valley with sweeping views towards the Grand Staircase – Escalante National Monument. Built around a central swimming pool with spectacular views, the stunningly beautiful resort blends into its dramatic surrounds where deep canyons and towering plateaus create a raw landscape of immense power. Amangiri’s unrivalled backcountry access allow guests to explore the region’s striking desert scenery on foot.
- Hotel website: Amangiri
- Other accolades: Amangiri also features in my top 10 lists of hotel rooms with the best views, the best Aman hotels in the world, the world’s most luxurious wilderness lodges, the world’s most beautiful hotel pools, the world’s best desert retreats, and the world’s best luxury hotels.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, a 30 minute scalp massage or neck/shoulder massage, and a toiletry kit with Amangiri’s signature sage shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and body wash).