Today (May 5, 2014): Top 10 most spectacular swimming pools in the world.
Swimming pools are the heart and center of action of every hotel, where hotels guests can mingle, relax, recharge, see and be seen. So, it should come as no surprise that hotels go out of their way to make sure their pools are elaborate escapes from daily life and that they feature them prominently on their websites to seduce future guests. Some pools are simply so spectacular that they made it into my top 10 list of the most beautiful hotel pools in the world.
There is more information below the slideshow. Think I missed one? Share your favorite hotel pool in the comments section, or take my poll below!
Deep within Africa’s finest game reserve, the recently rebranded Safari Lodge Serengeti welcomes you to a sanctuary of Four Seasons comfort. Get up close and intimate with lions, leopards and elephants – yet always feel safe and pampered. And you can always take a break from your Tanzanian adventures in the magnificent free-form infinity pool overlooking a watering hole and Serengeti plains. With sunbeds and bar service, it’s an idyllic setting from which to watch a glorious sunset or admire the wildlife in front of you.
- Hotel website: Four Seasons Safari Lodge Serengeti
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, and $100 USD spa credit).
This is the only indoor pool in my list! Surrounded by the towering mountain peaks of the Himalayas, St. Regis Lhasa Resort bills itself as “standing on the roof of the world”. Facing the jaw-dropping Potala Palace, it houses 162 guest rooms, villas, and suites, boasts 24-hour butler service, and owns Tibet’s first ever fine-dining restaurant. But what sets St. Regis Lhasa apart is its “Golden Energy Pool” lined with thousands of tiles plated in gold. The pool contains therapeutic salt water constantly heated to 28-32 degrees Celsius. An indulgent treat for anyone with a thing for bling.
- Hotel website: St Regis Lhasa
- Other top 10 accolades: The St. Regis Lhasa Resort also features in my top 10 lists of the best luxury hotels in China and the world’s most stunning indoor hotel pools.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast for 2, $100 USD hotel credit, early check-in and late check-out).
The most spectacular hotel in Singapore, the Marina Bay Sands hotel comprises three 55-storey towers, 2,560 luxury rooms and suites, and 18 different room types. Crowning the three hotel towers at 200 metres in the sky, the Sands SkyPark stretches longer than the Eiffel tower or four A380 Jumbo Jets when laid down. The Sands SkyPark is also home to the world’s largest public cantilever housing a public observatory deck, lush gardens, exclusive restaurants and a stunning 150-metre infinity-edged swimming pool to complete the luxurious experience.
- Hotel website: Marina Bay Sands Hotel
- Other top 10 accolades: Marina Bay Sands Hotel hotel also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most spectacular hotel rooftops and the world’s best urban resorts.
Hailed as one of the best hotels in the world, this famous resort has been widely praised for its beautiful gardens, exquisite cuisine, gala celebrations, impeccable decor and extraordinary hospitality. Here, you can experience the splendor, the grandeur, and the intrigue of the Renaissance while overlooking glorious Lake Como. The hotel has a unique pool floating on the lake, with a built-in Jacuzzi and stunning views everywhere.
- Hotel website: Villa d’Este
- Tip: enjoy exclusive VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast for 2, complimentary mini bar replenished once a day, early check-in and late check-out; for stays of 3 and 4 nights: one 3-course lunch; for stays of minimum 5 nights: one 3-course dinner).
Udaipur, in the heart of Rajasthan, is a city of majestic palaces and beautiful lakes. Here, adorning the banks of Lake Pichola and standing witness to the historic City Palace, the Oberoi Udaivilas captures the romance and splendour of a royal era. Conceived as a traditional Indian palace, the hotel showcases the rich heritage of the Mewar region of Rajasthan with its rambling courtyards, gentle rippling fountains, and verdant gardens. In addition, the hotel is surrounded by magnificent swimming pools.
- Hotel website: The Oberoi Udaivilas
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast for 2, fruit basket, one lunch for 2, early check-in and late check-out).
Amangiri is tucked into a protected valley with sweeping views towards the Grand Staircase – Escalante National Monument. The resort blends into its dramatic surrounds where deep canyons and towering plateaus create a raw landscape of immense power. The amazing swimming pool is set within a sunken courtyard framed by the Pavilion and rock escarpment. Within the Pavilion are the Living Room, Gallery, Library, Dining Room, Private Dining Room and Cellar. Two accommodation wings lead from the Pavilion into the desert, where views look over the untouched valley surrounded by lofty bluffs.
- Hotel website: Amangiri
- Other top 10 accolades: Amangiri also features in my top 10 lists of hotel rooms with a view, the best Aman hotels in the world, the world’s most exclusive wilderness lodges, the world’s best luxury hotels, and the world’s most luxurious desert retreats.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, a 30 minute scalp massage or neck/shoulder massage, and a toiletry kit with Amangiri’s signature sage shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and body wash).
Located along the Amalfi Riviera, Europe’s most spectacular stretch of coast, 11th-century palace-turned-resort Caruso Belmond offers breathtaking views of the Mediterranean Sea from its gorgeous infinity pool, seemingly suspended between sky and sea. No less impressive are the hotel’s terraced gardens and grounds, which feature native olive, lemon and pomegranate rows, as well as an original chapel with a Baroque altar, frescoes, a former priests’ quarter, and a stunning infinity pool.
- Hotel website: Belmond Hotel Caruso
- Other top 10 accolades: Belmond Hotel Caruso also features in my top 10 list of world’s most spectacular cliffside hotels.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast for 2, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD resort credit).
- Review: read my review of Belmond Hotel Caruso here.
The Maldives is one of the world’s most beautiful beach destinations, and boutique hotel Huvafen Fushi was one of its pioneer hotels and still delivers. It is located in a ridiculously clear lagoon, where you can relax on your own private stretch of sugar white sand or snorkel in one of the Maldives best house reefs. The large lagoon-like infinity-edged pool bleeds into the watery horizon of the Indian Ocean and is surrounded by four-poster day beds; by night, it’s romantically lit with fibre-optic lights and reflects the inky sky.
- Hotel website: Huvafen Fushi
Not one pool, but a collection of stunning pools awaits you at COMO Shambhala Estate, the flagship hotel of the COMO Hotels & Resort group near Ubud, Bali. The resort is renowned for its back-to-nature approach, with resident experts including a yoga teacher, Ayurvedic doctor and dietician. All of the 30 individual rooms and suites sit within one of the five, freestanding, individually designed Residences. Each of the residences has its own infinity-edged pool, offering amazing jungle views and surrounded by private decking. In addition, the spa has a gorgeous 25m lap pool with jet beds, and there is a hidden, kidney-shaped pool, deep in the jungle above a steep gorge.
- Hotel website: COMO Shambhala Estate
- Other top 10 accolades: COMO Shambhala Estate also features in my top 10 lists of the best spas in the world and the best luxury hotels in Bali.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and $100 USD resort credit).
- Review: to read my review of the COMO Shambhala Estate, click here.
Located in the romantic setting of Imerovigli in the northwest of the island, high above Santorini’s Caldera, Grace Santorini is the perfect vantage point from which to enjoy the famed Santorini island sunsets that envelop Greece’s Cyclades Islands. The exquisite infinity pool, the largest of its kind in Santorini, offers bathers stunning uninterrupted views across the Caldera – the ultimate transporting experience that defines a holiday in Santorini.
- Hotel website: Grace Santorini
- Other top 10 accolades: Grace Santorini also features in my top 10 list of the world’s best honeymoon resorts.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade, daily breakfast, complimentary one-way private airport transfers, welcome amenity of bottle of champagne, fruit and chocolates, early check-in, and late check-out).
- Review: to read my review of Grace Santorini, click here.