Today (July 1, 2019): Top 10 most amazing hotels in the Greek islands.
Greece has a large number of magnificent islands scattered in the Aegean and Ionian Seas, with estimates ranging from somewhere around 1200 to 6000 depending on the minimum size to take into account. Only 227 of these islands are inhabited. The sunny weather, turquoise waters, magnificent beaches, romantic sunset, delicious food, unique ambiance, and archeological sites have made the Greek islands extremely popular among Greek and foreign visitors. From Mykonos, Santorini, and Crete, to Skiathos, Rhodes, and Kefalonia, the Greek islands ignate the travel spirit and promise a dreamy holiday. Here are my 10 favorite hotels in the Greek islands to relax and indulge in luxury.
Think I missed one? Leave a comment or take my poll below.
*** Get the most out of your (luxury) trip to Greece with my online Greece travel guide ***
Domes Miramare Corfu is a new, fascinating chapter in the story of one of modern Greece’s most iconic buildings, designed by Charalambos Sfaellos and once owned by the Onassis family. After a recent multimillion pound renovation, Domes Miramare Corfu is true to the spirit of authentic hospitality and luxury experiences of the Domes Resorts family. It is an elegant seafront oasis with 113 bedrooms, suites and villas, for those who seek a luxurious getaway from the ordinary. Renovated with refined natural materials and decorated with contemporary art pieces, Domes Miramare Corfu is a legendary amalgamation of opulent style and design, set in an authentic Mediterranean landscape.
- Hotel website: Domes Miramare
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, a bottle of Greek wine, daily replished fruit plate, and $100 USD resort credit).
Poised on a cliff high above the Aegean, Perivolas is a boutique escape, offering laidback luxury and designed as a place where you can let the rest of the world slip away. Built amphitheatrically, Perivolas’ secluded location combines expansive views with the luxury of absolute tranquillity. It’s just a short walk from Oia, the most beautiful village on Greece’s most romantic and dramatic island. Once the homes, wineries and stables of Santorini’s fishermen and farmers, this group of 300-year-old caves has been transformed into a complex of serene private houses. Intimate in scale and atmosphere, every house is different. Terraced gardens spill down the slope to the infinity pool, which seems to slip off the rim of the cliff and bleed into the blue horizon. Only the occasional toll of church bells or the whistle of a fishing boat far below breaks the meditative silence. It is easy to linger here all day, watching the changing light until the sun settles into the sea.
- Hotel website: Perivolas
- Other accolades: Perivolas also features in my top 10 list of the best hotels in Santorini,.
Designed in keeping with the grand palaces of the Minoan kings, Amirandes is an exclusive beach-side resort that epitomizes Crete’s most inspiring features: beautiful architecture, warm hospitality, excellent cuisine and stunning land- and seascapes. Themed around the lagoons that swirl through its center, the resort comprises six restaurants, private beaches, an Elixir Spa with indoor pool, 60 private pools, an outdoor Olympic-size seawater pool, and extensive children’s facilities. Amirandes’ 212 guestrooms range across 20 different types of accommodation, featuring indulgent details such as private gyms, home cinema and state-of-the-art bathrooms with colour-therapy and aromatherapy Jacuzzi bathtubs. Refined and considerate service mirrors the resort’s meticulous attention to detail and utmost respect for the privacy of its guests.
- Hotel website: Amirandes Grecotel Exclusive Resort
- Other accolades: Amirandes Grecotel Exclusive Resort also features in my top 10 list of the best hotels in Greece
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, a 3 course lunch for two people, a 10% discount at the unique organic Agreco Farm experience and Taverna, and a selected gift from the Agreco Farm with Bio products upon departure).
Celebrating the finer pleasures in life, Mystique is a sensual experience on the sun-drenched isle of Santorini. Situated on Oia’s famous cliffs, the stylish Mystique features dazzling views of clear blue crystalline waters, the volcano, and the Aegean Caldera. Surrounded by some of the world’s most beautiful scenery, the resort’s island-style design pays homage to nature in a climate of unabashed luxury. The 35 suites and villas provide a sensorial experience in surroundings of understated elegance, with lovingly handcrafted from wood, local stone, and glass with enticing patterns carved into the walls. Antique textiles and plump, luxurious towels will wrap you in their warmth and comfort. Guests swim in the infinity plunge pools, grab a cocktail at the bar, head to the secret wine cave for a ceremonial wine tasting, and then dine at Charisma Greek or Asea Japanese Restaurant.
- Hotel website: Mystique Hotel
- Other accolades: Mystique Hotel features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most spectacular cliffside hotels and the best hotels in Santorini.
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and one wine tasting for two at the secret wine cave per stay).
- Review: read my review of Mystique here.
The first fully-fledged five-star resort in Greece, Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas put the the sleepy fishing village of Elounda in northeast Crete on the map in 1971. Since then half a dozen pretenders have squeezed into Mirabello bay, jostling for a sea-view slot, but Elounda Beach will always have the prime position. The property includes several mini-resort-like clusters, like the Yachting Club, whose state-of-the-art bungalows have electric sliding glass doors and retractable television screens. There’s a supervised kid’s program and playground for children, as well as a wealth of water sports and movie screenings in an open-air theater for teens. Adults can enjoy the peace and quiet of acclaimed spa Espace Vitalité Chenot or a quiet meal at one of nine world-class restaurants. Crete’s cultural offerings are nearby but many guests hardly leave the property after entering the oasis of this exclusive resort.
- Hotel website: Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas
- Review: coming soon
Grace Santorini is an exclusive boutique hotel in Santorini, perched 363 meters (1190 ft) above Santorini’s world-famous caldera, offering breathtaking views. Crisp, minimalist and simply marvelous, the hotel skips the ornamentation for vast swatches of pristine white and sea views that stretch to infinity. The 21 innovatively refurbished rooms and suites showcase a contemporary style, combining cutting edge, bespoke design alongside traditional handcrafted pieces whilst the luxurious bathrooms offer double vanity units with marble carved basins and spacious rain showers with mosaic feature walls. Most of the rooms feature outdoor plunge pools while the 400 square meters (4.300 square feet) villa offers a private heated pool and spa. The hotel’s pool is truly spectacular and one of the most photographed swimming pools in the world.
- Hotel website: Grace Santorini
- Other accolades: Grace Santorini features in my top 10 lists of the most beautiful hotel pools in the world, the world’s best honeymoon resorts, the world’s best hotel breakfasts, the best hotels in Santorini, and swimming pools with stunning views.
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, one-way private airport transfers, and one private yoga class for up to two people).
- Review: read my review of Grace Santorini here.
Standing majestically on a private sandy beach of a secluded bay, on the island of Zakynthos, just west of Greece’s mainland and famous for its turquoise waters and Venetian villages, Porto Zante Villas & Spa is a boutique luxury hotel comprising world class luxury villas on the beach, all with private pools, exquisite Greek & Mediterranean cuisine at the Club House restaurant, a luxury Asian fusion restaurant offering delicious fresh Sushi, Sashimi and Thai options, a fabulous waterfront spa, 24-hour five-star hotel services, and an array of unique activities & experiences for families and couples alike. The luxury villas at Porto Zante are decorated and furnished with selected pieces of Armani Casa & Gervasoni, paintings of prominent Greek artists and are equipped with some of the best exclusive amenities including Christofle Paris cutlery & glasses, Bernardaud design porcelain & BVLGARI guest amenities.
- Hotel website: Porto Zante Villas & Spa
- Other accolades: Porto Zante also features in my top 10 list of the best hotels in Greece
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, one 50-minute massage for up to two people, one lunch or dinner for up to two people, and VIP lounge access in all major European airports).
Santorini is one of Greece’s most popular islands. Yet at Canaves Oia Epitome, you may feel you have this enchanting isle almost entirely to yourself. This all-villa luxury resort is located above the picturesque fishing town of Ammoudi (near Oia) and privacy, style and an almost zen-like calm are the order of the day. There’s a lot to love about Canaves Oia Epitome, from the fabulous pool villas and innovative rooftop terraces to the chic design and spectacular private infinity pool, which all captures the essence of Santorini’s surrounding volcanic landscape. Then, as evening unfolds, the hotel reveals its greatest treasure: the best sunset views in Oia. Guests here seek inner peace and rejuvenate with signature spa treatments, and indulge on world-class Greek cuisine in the hotel’s fine dining restaurant. Canaves Oia Epitome is the sister resort of the sublime Canaves Oia Suites Hotel, which enjoys fabulous caldera views and which I reviewed here.
- Hotel website: Canaves Oia Epitome
- Other accolades: Canaves Oia Epitome features in my top 10 lists of the best hotels in Greece and the best hotels in Santorini.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP perks when booking Canaves Oia Epitome via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, bottle of local Santorinian wine, fresh fruit platter, and $100 USD food & beverage credit).
- Review: read my review of Canaves Oia Epitome here.