Today (May 25, 2014): Mystique, a romantic retreat in Santorini (Greece).
- Location: Google Maps
- Address: Thera 847 02, Greece
- Hotel website: Mystique
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso
Mystique is an exclusive retreat consisting of 35 suites and villas, located on Santorini’s famous cliffs with dazzling views of clear blue equatorial waters towards the volcano and the Aegean Caldera. The resort belongs to The Luxury Collection, part of the Starwood Hotels’ portfolio and one of the most world’s most luxurious hotel brands.
Mystique Santorini features in my top 10 list of the world’s most spectacular cliffside hotels.
In this review (more info below the slideshow):
- Pros & things I like
- Cons & things to know
- My verdict
- Tips for future guests & save money
- Best time to visit
- How to get there
PROS & THINGS I LIKE
- The location of the hotel is excellent, on the rim of the caldera, about 100 meters from the start of the main pedestrian street through Oia. To reach that street, you have to walk through another narrow street with some traffic, but this is not dangerous at all.
- The mesmerizing and unobstructed views are absolutely breathtaking and beyond imagination (as is the case with most other Santorini hotels that are located on the crater rim).
- The island-style resort design is awesome and preserves the nature in a climate of unabashed luxury built in one of the world’s most beautiful sceneries.
- The rooms are spacious, very luxuriously decorated, and all come with large terraces to take in the views. A few rooms have an outside hot tub, while all the others feature indoor hot tubs. Beds are very soft and large, and linens are of excellent quality.
- The staff is extremely friendly & helpful, and will go the extra mile to make your stay as memorable as possible.
- Food at the hotel is delicious. Both dinners and breakfasts are served at the outside restaurant, which offers amazing views. You can also have your breakfast served at your room for a more intimate setting. Dinners are expensive though (about 140 euros for 2 people, excluding wine), a little more expensive as compared the other upscale restaurants in Oia.
- Cobblestone pathways lead to the plunge pool, which is surrounded by sun beds for the utmost relaxations. The pool is small, but not smaller than the pools of the other luxury hotels in Oia.
CONS & THINGS TO KNOW
The hotel is almost perfect, but there are some minor issues that you need to be aware of if you want to book your dream holiday to Santorini:
- You cannot see the sunset from the hotel. In fact, the last rays of sun will enlighten the hotel about 1 hour before sunset.
- There are many stairs in the hotels, as is the case with every hotel in Santorini. This could pose a problem for older or disabled people.
- Santorini can be extremely hot in summer, and the hotel room terraces do not provide a lot of shade.
- Location: 9/10
- Design: 8/10
- Rooms: 8/10
- Food: 9/10
- Service: 8/10
- Overall experience: very good: 8,4/10
TIPS FOR FUTURE GUESTS
- Save money: Read my tips for getting the best deal at a luxury resort like Mystique (and receive many free perks).
- Save money: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and one wine tasting for two at Secret Wine Cave per stay).
- Save money: book your room with an additional 20% off making use of a Best Rate Guarantee.
- Tip for sunset-watchers: do not go the castle in Oia where hundred of people are watching the sunset. Instead, turn right when you reach the street above the hotel, and follow the path for aboth 200 meters: the view is breathtakingly beautiful, as you watch the sun set in the sea above the village of Oia.
- Starwood Preferred Guests (SPG) with Gold or Platinum status are well treated, with – amongst other benefits – free WiFi, complementary room upgrade (when available), early check-in or late check-out (when available), and free breakfast (SPG platinum). Click here to read our review of the SPG program (with pros & cons).
- Read my tips for preparing your trip in time.
BEST TIME TO VISIT
The best time to visit Santorini is spring and fall when the weather’s warm and the crowds are few. Like all of the Cyclades, Santorini welcomes the most visitors during the summer, so if you’ll need to make your reservations at least two months in advance to travel then.
HOW TO GET THERE
Mystique is located 20 km from Athinios Port and 18 km from Santorini Airport. The latter is served by most European charters and some full-service and low-cost airlines in tourist season (click here for a direct link to their websites), but has no direct overseas connections.