Today: Top 10 most spectacular villas in the Maldives
Located southwest of India, the Maldives is comprised of hundreds of tiny tropical featuring lush jungles, spectacular beaches, and ridiculously clear lagoons. Often considered the most luxurious travel destination on earth, the country is home to dozens of insanely beautiful luxury resorts, each one located on its own private island. The Maldives’ top hotels offer phenomenal villas, fine dining restaurants by Michelin starred chefs, world-class spas, and over-the-top excursions. On top of that, and to differentiate themselves from their competitors, several hotels in the Maldives have now added a new feature to their already impressive portfolio: an ultraluxe, one-of-a-kind multi-bedroom villa on their resort grounds, which is labeled as a residence, estate, or private island. Here’s my selection of the most spectacular villas and private islands in the Maldives.
There is more information below the slideshow. Think I missed one? Share your favorite villa in the Maldives in the comments section.
Standing alone in the middle of a sparkling, turquoise lagoon, 500 m (1600 ft) from the main resort, Gili Lankanfushi’s Private Reserve is the quintessence of luxury, privacy and seclusion. Sprawled across multi-tiered levels, this rustic-chic fort of dreams is where your idea of the ultimate island escape instantly becomes a reality. The enormous overwater villa features two master suites and two guest bedrooms as well as a collection of open-plan living and dining spaces, all offering uninterrupted views of the Indian Ocean. Facilities include an infinity swimming pool, spacious sundecks, couple’s spa pavilion with a sauna and steam room, air- conditioned gymnasium, cinema, bar and even a water slide that runs from the Private Reserve’s top deck into the sea. A private boat is yours to come and go as you please – most people, however, never find the need to leave.
- Hotel website: Private Reserve at Gili Lankanfushi
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, Maldivian Tapas served with one glass of Champagne per person, a 30 minute spa treatment for two, early check-in, late check-out, $100 USD food & beverage credit with 3-night stays, and combined round-trip airport transfers with 5-night stays).
- Review: read my review of Gili Lankanfushi here.
The St Regis Maldives Vommuli’s largest villa is the John Jacob Astor Estate, named after St Regis’ founder John Jacob Astor IV. The two-story overwater villa can accommodate up to 12 people. The three guest bedrooms, one with a king bed and two with two queen beds, include indoor and outdoor showers and a spa room; the main floor rooms also have direct access to a furnished terrace with a private plunge pool and whirlpool. Opening onto an expansive terrace with infinity pool, the palatial living room is distinguished by its lofty ceilings and floor-to-ceiling glass doors, which suffuse the space with natural light. Serviced by a show kitchen and butler pantry, the estate’s dining room provides an idyllic setting for memorable gatherings. This villa also features a home theater with an 85-inch Bang & Olufsen television, along with a dedicated exercise room equipped with cardio and weight machines.
- Hotel website: John Jacob Astor Estate
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks at St Regis Maldives when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, welcome bottle of Champagne, $300 USD resort credit, and a one time hydrotherapy spa experience per couple).
- Review: read my review of The St Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort here.
Spanning 895 sq m with panoramic views of the Indian Ocean, the Hadahaa Presidential Overwater Residence at Park Hyatt Maldives features a 16 meter (52 ft) long freshwater infinity pool and three bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms to comfortably accommodate up to six guests. The extended private infinity pool terrace features sunken loungers and a shaded outdoor dining and lounge area, while separate decks adjoin the master and king bedrooms. Guests enjoy the comforts of home in this contemporary overwater retreat where soft furnishings of light brown and aquamarine combine with state-of-the-art room control features for a blissful ambiance. Expansive floor-to-ceiling windows fill the spacious living and dining area with warm light and serene ocean views. With direct access to the lagoon house reef, the villa offers the best in overwater living and underwater explorations.
- Hotel website: Hadahaa Presidential Overwater Residence
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks at Park Hyatt Maldives when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, $100 USD resort credit, and a complimentary 50 minute massage for up to two people, per room, once during stay).
Accommodating up to 10 guests, Nika offers one of the ultimate designer beach villa retreats in the Maldives. Vertical wall panels have been crafted with materials such as raffia and natural wood, and earthy textiles facilitate a natural indoor and outdoor flow. The design creates a warm, yet stylish atmosphere, arranged with hand-crafted, minimalistic furniture pieces, such as a sprawling dining table cut from two pieces of rare black marble slab, positioned beneath a stunning, beaded Craaft chandelier. The residence features four large bedrooms, each one opening out onto balconies or terraces with views of the private beach and ocean. The villa comes with a private gym, spa room, outdoor relaxation area, fully equipped kitchen area (with separate butler’s entrance), vaulted living area with dining table, and an expansive terrace with a large pool, outdoor shower and separate jacuzzi.
- Hotel website: Nika Residence by Patricia Urquiola
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks at Velaa Private Island when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $150 USD food & beverage credit).
- Review: read my review of Velaa Private Island here.
Occupying an unblemished stretch of the resort’s stunning white sand beach, this vast three-bedroom villa expandable up to 6 bedrooms is perfect for groups of friends gathering for a once-in-a-lifetime celebration, as well as families who want to kick back and take things easy. Accommodating up to 15 guests, the Raffles Royal Residence’s heart is the three consecutive reception rooms that border its 40 m (130 ft) pool and look towards the property’s private beach. A multitude of special events, from surprise birthday parties to decadent anniversary dinners, can be happily facilitated. Overlooking the lagoon and with its private bar stocked with rare spirits and the finest cigars, the expansive roof terrace works just as well as an intimate eyrie for evening sundowners as it does for morning yoga sessions sound-tracked by gently lapping waves.
- Hotel website: Raffles Royal Residence
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD resort credit).
The largest overwater villa in the Maldives is located at Soneva Jani Chapter Two. The Water Reserve features a wide outdoor deck with large pool, waterslide, sofas and catamaran nets perfect for lounging, sunbathing, dining or just taking in the sunset. The master bedroom is on the lower floor with an adjoining children’s sleeping area, master bathroom, dressing room, steam and shower, outdoor shower with a sunken bathtub and a sauna room. On the same floor is the dining area and open kitchen, living room with seating area, and a a second bedroom which has its own bathroom. The remaining two bedrooms with bathrooms and dressing rooms are on the upper floor, along with the TV lounge, and gym. Guests staying in the Water Reserve can indulge with unlimited dining and drinks, experiences, spa treatments, a personal Barefoot Butler and more under Soneva Unlimited.
- Hotel website: Four bedroom Water Reserve with Slide at Soneva Jani
- Tip: contact me to get complimentary VIP perks at Soneva Jani. This includes a discounted rate, a resort credit, and two complimentary experiences.
- Review: read my review of Soneva Jani here.
Cheval Blanc Randheli Private Island sprawls across a 1-ha dedicated island, accessible from a private berth and jetty. This four-bedroom villa is the epitome of lush, modern island living in the Maldives, with exceptional indoor & outdoor spaces and a dedicated team of butlers. In the main house, three light-filled successive reception rooms border a 25 m (82 ft) pool, inviting guests to musical interludes around a grand piano, blissful relaxation on the multiple sofas and loungers or a festive cocktail party around the private bar. The master suite offers bird’s-eye panoramas of the sea, double bathrooms, dressing rooms, office and lounge areas. Two guest bedrooms feature grand bathrooms, dressing rooms and terraces, ideal for children. A separate guest villa with spacious indoor and outdoor spaces is perfect for traveling companions seeking a high sense of privacy. A private spa treatment room, fitness center and screening room complete this ultimate island stay.
- Hotel website: Cheval Blanc Randheli Private Island
Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi top’s accommodation is “Ithaafushi – The Private Island”, the largest private island in the Maldives. Anchored in the timely yet timeless ethos of the iconic Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts brand, Ithaafushi – The Private Island offers unforgettable experiences for guests seeking only the most prestigious and coveted accommodations. The sprawling estate accommodates 24 guests across two elegantly designed villas and one sweeping four-bedroom residence, perfect for bonding with loved ones or celebrating life’s significant milestones with close friends. In terms of dining, the private island has its own dedicated culinary team that can create a bespoke menu served in a variety of settings. Alternatively, the main Waldorf Astoria resort is a short boat ride away for guests who want to check out its 10 specialty dining venues.
- Hotel website: Ithaafushi – The Private Island
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking Waldorf Astoria Maldives via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $150 USD resort credit).
Soneva Fushi’s vision of a playful deserted-island mansion comes to full fruition on an oceanic scale in the largest and most impressive beach villa in the Maldives: the nine bedroom Private Reserve, located on the island’s southeastern tip, offering direct access to a private stretch of white sand beach and turquoise lagoon. The enormous villa represents the epitome of a jungle fantasy, featuring palmfrond roofs, woven ropes and tree branch banisters. There are nine bedrooms, each one coming with its own bathroom, all centered around an open air living room with kitchen and a massive, lagoon-like swimming pool with sunken dining area and waterslide. The villa feels like a resort within a resort as it offers everything, from a children’s room and TV lounge, to its own spa area, sauna, and gym as well as a master bedroom with private pool.
- Hotel website: Private Reserve at Soneva Fushi
- Tip: contact me to get complimentary VIP perks at Soneva Fushi. This includes a discounted rate, a resort credit, and two complimentary experiences.
- Review: read my review of Soneva Fushi here.
Capturing the imagination, this secluded haven transcends the private island experience: “entirely yours” from the moment of booking, seven bedrooms, a dive school and a private spa extend the oceanic spoils of the Maldives’ only UNESCO Biosphere Reserve to up to 22 guests at a time. Voavah villa life revolve around a double-story beach house and adjacent white sands, crystal waters and abundant reef – all exemplary even by Maldives standards. A 19 meter (62 ft) private yacht – Voavah Summer – invites Voavah guests to explore the UNESCO protected reserve: diving with whale sharks, snorkeling with manta rays, swimming with neighborhood turtles, fishing for dinner, visiting local islands, surfing unknown breaks and cruising into breathtaking Baa Atoll sunsets.
- Hotel website: Four Seasons Private Island Maldives at Voavah
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking Four Seasons Maldives via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, $100 USD spa credit, welcome amenity in room on arrival, and departure gift).