Today: Top 10 best luxury hotels in Spain.
With a balmy climate, gorgeous coastline and vibrant cities, Spain is one of Europe’s most popular holiday destinations. But the country’s true beauty isn’t confined to its sandy beaches. For instance, there are its urban and cultural assets (e.g. Sevilla, Granada), pilgrimage routes (e.g. Santiago De Compostela) and phenomenal gastronomy (e.g. San Sebastian). To help you plan your next trip to this fascinating kingdom on the Iberian Peninsula, I compiled a list of my 10 favorite luxury hotels in Spain.
There is more information below the slide show. Think I missed one? Share your favorite Spanish hotel in the comments section.
Perched on a cliff overlooking its namesake fishing village and bay, Jumeirah Port Soller Hotel & Spa promises an ethereal escape. The sprawling complex, connected by stone staircases and sweet-smelling gardens, seems to float above the Mediterranean. Each of the 121 rooms boasts a private balcony or terrace to admire the postcard view. Locally sourced citrus, almonds, and olive oil offer natural healing at the Talise Spa. Swim in two pools, hike through the UNESCO-designated Serra de Tramuntana range, or charter a private yacht and explore nearby coves. Savor authentic Balearic cuisine at its best.
- Hotel website: Jumeirah Port Soller Hotel & Spa
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, complimentary bottle of olive oil along with a hand made basket from Soller upon arrival in the room, complimentary tram tickets round trip to experience Soller Village, and $100 USD hotel credit).
A dazzling display of contemporary architecture, Hotel Arts Barcelona (operated by the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company) is renowned the world over for its impeccable service and lavish accommodations, including 28 duplex penthouses. The penthouses are located on the top floors of the hotel and offer butler service and use of a MINI Cooper. The hotel has an exclusive spa, 43 The Spa, located on the 43rd floor. Visit the terraced gardens, infinity-edge pool, family pool, the stunning collection of Spanish art, or the five restaurants – including the acclaimed two-Michelin-starred Enoteca Paco Pérez, with a wine cellar topping 700 labels.
- Hotel website: Hotel Arts Barcelona
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 food & beverage credit).
- Review: read my review of Hotel Arts Barcelona here.
Commissioned by the King of Spain to play host to international dignitaries during the 1929 Exhibition, Hotel Alfonso XIII, a Luxury Collection Hotel, remains an iconic cultural landmark, centrally located next to Reales Alcázares and Seville Cathedral. The 148 guest rooms and suites have custom furnishings and a fusion of Moorish, Andalusian, and Castilian styles. Original marble floors and handpainted ceramic tiles sparkle in the refurbished lobby and common areas; the popular Bar Americano has been redesigned with a hip art deco flair. Sip tea in the tranquil courtyard, stroll the lovely gardens, or relax by the swimming pool before dining at Restaurante Ena.
- Hotel website: Hotel Alfonso XIII
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and one complimentary lunch or dinner for up to two people per room).
The Ritz-Carlton Abama is a sun-worshipper’s paradise to say the least. With its idyllic location on Tenerife’s southwest coast, Moorish-inspired architecture, exclusive access to a secluded golden-sand beach, and seven distinct pools (including adults-only options), it’s easy to see why this hotel is the island’s most sought-after timeless retreat. Quench your cravings for Basque, Japanese, Spanish, or Italian fare, unwind with a spa treatment inspired by indigenous traditions, or sip on craft cocktails on the hotel’s intimate outdoor Lobby terrace and restaurants.
- Hotel website: The Ritz-Carlton Abama
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, welcome amenity, and $100 USD resort credit).
Hotel Marqués de Riscal, a Luxury Collection Hotel, is a masterpiece created by Frank Gehry and located in the Spain’s wine region of Rioja. Gehry’s personal and exclusive design, characterized by its forms, colors, and materials, offers an authentic avant-garde vision, with 61 luxury rooms and suites, each unique in their shapes and views. Michelin-starred gastronomy, the oldest winery in Rioja, the Spa Vinothérapie Caudalie, the enviable views of the countryside, and the nearby medieval town of Elciego all contribute to vivid sensations that the traveler will treasure forever.
- Hotel website: Hotel Marqués de Riscal
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, welcome amenity, and a complimentary 50-minute massage for two).
A superb refurbishment of an impressive 19th-century fortress has resulted in Cap Rocat, a captivating adults-only boutique hotel overlooking the Bay of Palma. Set in 88 acres and stretching along the coastline for two km (1.2 mi), the spectacular hotel (one of the best in Spain) offers its guests a selection of magical dining venues, private rock cliff beach with direct access to the sea, jetty and salt water pool. Wonderfully secluded with a drawbridge, bunkers and suites in former shooting buttresses, the atmosphere is both historic and romantic. Decorated with a clever blend of classic and contemporary furnishings, suites have their own private patio with beautiful sea views.
- Hotel website: Cap Rocat
Ideally located near all the city’s major attractions, Mandarin Oriental, Barcelona offers an atmospheric setting on Passeig de Gràcia. With contemporary interiors by designer Patricia Urquiola, the 120 rooms and suites (some with private terraces) are among the most luxurious in Barcelona. Carme Ruscalleda (one of the most awarded chefs in the world) is the leader of the two-Michelin-starred Moments Restaurant, casual Blanc, and Banker’s Bar. Terrat rooftop bar serves chef Gastón Acurio’s Peruvian delights. The spa is designed as a haven of serenity, making Mandarin Oriental the perfect base to explore the Catalan capital.
- Hotel website: Mandarin Oriental Barcelona
- Other accolades: Mandarin Oriental Barcelona also features in my top 10 list of the world’s most spectacular hotel rooftops.
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check in, late check out, daily breakfast, and a tapas assortment including drinks for two at Banker’s Bar, once during stay).
- Review: read my review of Mandarin Oriental Barcelona here.
Located less than a 2-hour drive from Madrid, this restored abbey is majestically set on 500 acres of vineyards. The heart of the estate is its award-winning winery; its soul, the ancient 12th century Romanesque abbey, a Spanish cultural heritage site. The intimate resort with just 30 guestrooms offers full butler service. Refectorio, the abbey’s original dining hall, is now a Michelin-starred restaurant. Guests enjoy well-being at the Santuario Wellness & Spa, Spain’s first spa sommelier. An array of curated experiences around wine, gastronomy, nature, art and wellness immerses guests in the spirit and style of LeDomaine.
- Hotel website: Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check in, late check out, daily breakfast, and $100 USD spa credit).
Enjoying an unbeatable location in the heart of Spain’s capital, the Four Seasons Hotel is within walking distance of all of the city’s must-sees. Accommodations are adorned with traditional and modern details, plush furnishings, and al fresco spaces to soak in the views. Dining options include the highly sought-after Dani, located on the hotel’s rooftop and led by celebrity chef Dani García. Four Seasons Hotel Madrid is also home to the Spanish capital’s largest wellness center, which includes a stunning indoor pool and expansive lounge terrace. Comprehensive services range from a 24-hour multilingual concierge team to babysitting and children’s amenities.
- Hotel website: Four Seasons Hotel Madrid
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check in, late check out, daily breakfast, and $100 USD hotel credit).
- Review: read my review of Four Seasons Hotel Madrid here.
Finca Cortesin Hotel, Golf & Spa is a truly superb resort and holiday destination, located a mile from the Spanish coastline between Marbella and Sotogrande on an exclusive natural estate spanning more than 500 acres. The property’s avant-garde yet majestic design is inspired by traditional Andalusian architecture. Built around two main courtyards of palatial proportion and surrounded by luxury detached villas, the hotel boasts 67 spacious, light-filled and exquisitely designed suites. Service is of the very highest quality, along with beautiful facilities for both golfers and non-golfers alike. Opened in May 2019, the brand-new ARAṆĪ Yoga & Meditation Center is a haven of tranquility.
- Hotel website: Finca Cortesin Hotel, Golf & Spa
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check in, late check out, daily breakfast, and a complimentary 50-minute massage for two).