Wednesday newsletters always feature a hotel or flight review.
Last September, I was supposed to travel to French Polynesia for a holiday of a lifetime. Unfortunately, due to the ongoing pandemic, that trip was cancelled two weeks prior to departure, so I had to look for a last minute holiday elsewhere. In the end, I choose Spain as a travel destination, where I enjoyed a wonderful time, despite some unusually rainy and dreadful weather. You can read my trip reports here:
- Review: Tui Boeing 737 MAX from Brussels to Ibiza
- Review: W Ibiza Hotel
- Review: Six Senses Ibiza Resort
- Review: Hacienda Na Xamena (today)
- Review: Mandarin Oriental Barcelona
- Review: Hotel Arts Barcelona, a Ritz-Carlton Hotel
- Review: Four Seasons Hotel Madrid
Today: Review of Hacienda Na Xamena
- Location: Google maps
- Hotel website: Hacienda Na Xamena
Officially opened in 1971, Hacienda Na Xamena was the first 5-star hotel in Ibiza and the bohemian style property still delivers. The hotel enjoys a spectacular location in the heart of a preserved natural park, suspended on jagged coastal cliffs 180m (600 ft) above the sea level. The majority of the 77 rooms and suites have sea views, taking advantage of the magnificent location, and all of them feature a Jacuzzi and stylish seated areas. With two swimming pools, there is endless space to unwind as you recline on one of the comfortable and stylish sunbeds and gaze at the incredible views. The hotel’s La Posidonia Spa offers exclusive treatments and therapies for hotel guests and visitors alike. The hotel is also home to one of the island’s best dining venues – Eden restaurant – where dishes are prepared with the finest local and seasonal ingredients in line with the hotel’s “natural” philosophy.
Hacienda Na Xamena features in my top 10 list of the best luxury hotels in Ibiza.
Have you ever stayed at Hacienda Na Xamena? If so, what was your experience? Leave a comment.
In this review (more info and photos below my Youtube clip & slideshow):
- Pros & things I like
- Cons & things to know
- My verdict
- Tips for future guests & save money
- Best time to visit
- How to get there
PROS & THINGS I LIKE
- Hacienda Na Xamena enjoys a tranquil setting on the northern shores of Ibiza, which is totally different compared to the island’s south side. The sleepier north of Ibiza offers travelers unspoiled nature, a rural countryside, authentic villages and bohemian traditions, while the busier south side – only a 30 minute drive away – is famous for its frenetic nightlife and 24 hour party ambiance. Its coveted location is one of the hotel’s main draws: the property is located at the end of a narrow, winding road that runs through thick pine tree forests and there’s not much nearby, except for the picturesque little village of Sant Miquel and its nearby beaches. The airport is a 30-minute drive from the property.
- Hacienda Na Xamena enjoys a spectacular location, that leaves guests with an incredible feeling of awe. The property is built atop a towering cliff, 180 m (590 ft) above sea level. Taking full advantage of this incredible location, most public hotel areas as well as the majority of the rooms and suites offer unobstructed and breathtaking views of a magnificent cove and the shimmering Mediterranean Sea beyond. During the summer months, the panoramic view from the resort also perfectly frames the sunset at the horizon between the towering cliffsides of the cove. Due to its location in the heart of a preserved natural park and its heart-stopping view, the resort is the perfect holiday destination for travelers who seek serenity and calm.
- In the late sixties, Ibiza was very different from today. The local residents lived isolated from the world, with only one ferry to join the mainland per week. Then, the artists and hippies – looking for an enlightened lifestyle closer to nature – grew interested in the “Jewel of the Balearic islands”. It was during this time that Belgian architect Daniel Lipszyc and his wife fell in love with this authentic and unspoilt version of Ibiza. In 1969 they started the construction of a hotel. It was a job for a real pioneer as there were no roads, water, electricity or telephone lines at the time. Hacienda Na Xamena officially opened in 1971, and quickly became the most luxurious hotel on Ibiza, also acquiring its name and fame through its clientele, photo shoots, movies, and TV series.
- Although Haciende Na Xamena has undergone several refurbishments since its opening more than 50 years ago, its lovely design still exudes an authentic, hippie Ibiza feel. The property feels more like a residence than a hotel, with several light-filled rooms and a gorgeous traditional tiled Spanish courtyard leading down from the reception area to the pool deck, the social heart of the resort. Perfectly blending in the blue and green hues of the surrounding Mediterranean landscapes, the interiors feature a mix of Asian-inspired design elements and traditional Ballearic architecture. A collection of sheep statues in the lobby, Buddha statues in the public areas and colorful murals in the guest room corridors add a quirky and playful touch to the decor.
- Hacienda Na Xamena features 77 gorgeous rooms and suites, most of them coming with sea views. Standard and Superior rooms have hot tubs, while rooms in the Eden category have private gardens with a plunge pool. During my holiday, I stayed in a Standard room. The decently sized, all-white room featured a kingsize bed, daybed, recliner, and in-room bathtub (strategically placed along the window). The small ensuite bathroom was equipped with one sink, a walk-in shower, and a separate toilet cabin. The focus of the room was on the phenomenal sea views, with floor-to-ceiling windows bringing the outdoors in. There was a also a small furnished terrace, which was perfect for relaxing with a book while taking in the incredible vistas.
- Guests can choose to spend the day at three pools (two outdoor and one indoor). The main lagoon-shaped pool is located along the hotel’s brick watch-tower and is sustainably heated via solar panels on the hotel’s roof. The pool is lined by palms trees and surrounded by several terraced lounge areas, with sunbeds either facing the pool (and east) or the terrific views (and west). A few steps down from the main pool deck is another smaller pool for those that prefer even more tranquility. The indoor pool is for when it’s a little chilly outside or when you want to swim focused, and can also be used by children (under adult supervision) who want to make noise without disturbing the peaceful vibe of the outdoor terrace.
- Hacienda Na Xamena offers three dining venues, all of which serve delicious food.
- A hearty à la carte breakfast is served every morning by the pool at Cascadas Restaurant (8 am to 11 am). A wide variety of international and local delicatessens is served, including warm dishes such as pancakes and crepes, and all type of egg preparations.
- During the day, lunch is served at ‘At The Pool’ Restaurant, which offers a simple and tasty menu with classics such as avocado salads, hamburgers or club sandwiches, but also lighter vegetarian options, such as delicate tapas.
- Eden Restaurant – the hotel’s signature dining venue – features several terraces with expansive views of the sea and sunset.
- Hacienda Na Xamena is home to one of the best wellness centers of Ibiza. Called La Posidonia, the spa offers a large variety of body and face treatments, as well as locally inspired rituals aimed at restoring the balance of forces and energies. A team of professionals will help you create your own personal treatment program to relax and make you forget the stressful daily life while offering a world of sensations for mind and body. The spa’s highlight is the “Cascadas Suspendidas”, a thalassotherapy circuit unique in the wellness world. This outdoor treatment complex consisting of 8 different mini-pools, heated at three different temperatures, providing high pressure jet massage from head to toes.
CONS & THINGS TO KNOW
- The hotel’s remote location atop a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean Sea will appeal to guests in search of peace and quiet. However, the property is removed from everything and you’ll need a car (or take a taxi) to explore Ibiza’s beaches, restaurants, and attractions. The nearest town is at least a 10-minute drive away, and the island’s south side – famous for its party scene – is a 30 min ride away.
- Hacienda Na Xamena is an older property: it has been welcoming guests since the early seventies. However, that should not deter you from booking a stay here as the property has undergone several extensive refurbishments since then, and the vintage decor exudes a great, somewhat bohemian vibe. Nevertheless, there are a few areas where the hotel is showing some wear and tear (e.g. the decor of the bathrooms).
- Hacienda Na Xamena is one of Ibiza’s most expensive hotels. In high seasons, room rates start at 500 euros per night, and it’s restaurant is one of the more pricey dining venues on the island. However, IMHO, it’s money well spent since you’re paying for a fabulous location and great facilities. And it’s still only half the rate charged by its only real competitor on the island, Six Senses Ibiza (a resort which has many issues, as I reviewed here)
- Location: 9/10
- Design: 8/10
- Pool: 9/10
- Rooms: 8/10
- Food: 9/10
- Breakfast: 8/10
- Spa: 8/10
- Service: 9/10
- Value for money: 8/10
- Overall experience: very good 8.4/10
TIPS FOR FUTURE GUESTS & SAVE MONEY
- Save money: read here my tips for getting the best deal at a luxury hotel like Hacienda Na Xamena (and/or receive many free perks).
- Read my tips for preparing your trip in time.
BEST TIME TO VISIT
The best time to visit Ibiza is during the summer months, from late May through early October, when temperatures are hot and the parties are even hotter. Expect lots of action, plenty of tourists, and expensive hotel rates. Visit late spring or early fall to avoid the biggest crowds and the hottest temperatures.
HOW TO GET THERE
Hacienda Na Xamena is located 30 minutes from the airport. Check the Wikipedia page of Ibiza Airport for an updated list of airlines that offer direct flights to Ibiza.
Below is a selection of my photos of Hacienda Na Xamena. To view more hotel photos (including meals), click here.
*** Follow me on Instagram, YouTube, Twitter or Facebook for a daily moment of travel inspiration ***
Be the first to comment