Today (April 9, 2021): Buy your own villa & slice of paradise in the Maldives
If you’ve ever dreamed about owning your own slice of paradise in the Maldives, this article is for you.
Readers of my blog probably know by now that Soneva is my absolute favorite hotel brand in the world. The trendsetting hospitality company aims to create unforgettable, innovating, and enlightening experiences in the planet’s most pristine surroundings. The ethos and values it is run by are what sets Soneva on different footing as compared to other high-end hotel brands. At the moment, Soneva has four ultra-luxe properties in its portfolio:
- Soneva Fushi, the original desert island hideaway in the Maldives
- Soneva In Aqua, the first floating villa in the Maldives
- Soneva Jani, the most fabulous hotel in the Maldives
- Soneva Kiri in Thailand, by far the best luxury resort in Thailand.
I have to warn you though that once you have lived a holiday at a Soneva resort, all your other trips will pale in comparison. However, there is good news (at least for the lucky few) since Soneva offers Private Residences for sale so you can make the brand part of your own lifestyle. Introduced in 2011 in response to requests from returning guests, the pioneering Soneva Villa Ownership scheme made Soneva the first and only company to offer Maldivian real estate to foreign buyers. Today, the portfolio includes a breath-taking selection of expansive private villas at Soneva’s award-winning Maldives properties in two of the world’s most unspoiled natural havens: Soneva Fushi in the Baa Atoll, and Soneva Jani in the Noonu Atoll.
Hidden amongst the Maldives’ dense jungle or perched over the azure waters of a remote private lagoon, each villa has been positioned to ensure the utmost privacy and seclusion for owners and their guests. Built to the same uncompromising sustainability criteria as Soneva’s world-leading resorts, the Private Residences are designed to have a minimum impact on the earth, existing in perfect harmony with their exquisite natural settings. As a true home-away-from home, the villas’ bespoke interiors are personalized to owners’ exact needs, from the beautiful furniture crafted from reclaimed natural materials, to fun and playful touches such as children’s treehouses, dining towers or twisting waterslides into the private pool.
Since 2011, 31 Private Residences have been sold to buyers from across the globe, including 23 properties at Soneva Fushi and eight at Soneva Jani. Most Soneva villa owners are based in the UK (four), followed by Russia (three owners), then France, China, Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands and Switzerland (all with two owners), and Denmark, Canada, the UAE, Japan and Thailand (which all have one owner each). The most popular villa size among investors has been three-bedroom properties.
Villa ownership includes the following benefits (contact me for more information):
- 20% off of all Soneva resort services including treatments taken at the Six Senses Spa, diving and leisure services, and from any of Soneva’s food and beverage outlets.
- 20% off on all flight transfers (round trip) to/from Malé
- Income sharing in a Villa Rental Program, enabling you to earn a return on investment.
- Possessing the only residences available to foreigners in the Maldives.
- Special “Soneva Villa Owner” benefits at all Soneva Resorts.
- Exchangeability of owner’s days within all Soneva Resorts, subject to availability.
The castaway-luxe Private Residences at Soneva Fushi are found on the quiet private island of Kunfunadhoo within the unspoiled Baa Atoll, far from the usual tourist trail and part of a protected UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. Ranging from a spacious one-bedroom pool villa, to a sprawling nine-bedroom mansion, each villa is set within its own extensive rainforest garden, just steps away from the Maldives’ softest sandy beach and crystal-clearest waters.
The spectacular Villa 65 at Soneva Fushi is up for sale under the Soneva Villa Ownership program. The 3 Bedroom Crusoe Suite with Pool is a beach-front property comprised of two duplex villas, the whitewashed walls and thatched roofing blend perfectly with the island setting. The outdoor bathroom is where nature meets luxury. Then there is your pool and outdoor sitting area – perfect for days when all you want to do is relax in your sanctuary, enjoying the service of your Barefoot Butler. The fully-equipped kitchen has ample space for food preparation, while the 10-seater dining table is ideal for gatherings and in-villa dining. Located on the sunset side, this villa is close to the vibrant house reef and the diving school, and offers uninterrupted views of the Indian Ocean.
Centered around an ancient Banyan tree, the recently built Villa 43 Sunset Reserve is one of the largest, most luxurious private residences on the island. With a maximum occupancy of 12 adults and four children, the 2,303 sq m (21,851 sq ft), six-bedroom property is ideal for large and extended families, with expansive outside al fresco living space, including two swimming pools, Soneva’s signature open-air bathrooms and sunken seating areas. A haven from the outside world, it also features its own private gum, spa and sauna facilities, as well as a library and a well-stocked cellar.
On the sunrise side of Soneva Fushi, the new, four-bedroom Villa 38 has a maximum occupancy of eight adults and four children. Partly encircled by a vast private swimming pool, the 1,525 sqm (16,415 sq ft) villa features open plan living spaces, terraces and balconies and large outdoor bathrooms, as well as a fully-equipped private gym, spa suite and steam and sauna facilities.
- Website: Soneva Fushi Residences
- Accolades: Soneva Fushi features in my top 10 lists of the best luxury resorts in the Maldives, the most astonishing beach retreats in Asia, the best family hotels in the world, the world’s most insanely beautiful hotel beaches, and the best resorts in the Maldives for snorkeling.
- Review: read my review of Soneva Fushi here.
- Contact: contact me to get more information on the Soneva Fushi Residences.
At Soneva Jani, one of the Maldives’ lowest density resorts, there are two types of villas to choose from: the iconic over-water villas, ranging from one to four bedrooms, or the vast three- or four-bedroom beachfront Island Reserves. A tiny and remote archipelago in the beautiful Noonu Atoll, this tranquil enclave is surrounded on all sides by the sparkling turquoise waters of an enormous private lagoon.
The 1,226 sqm (13,197sq ft), four-bedroom over-water residence is the ultimate in over-water luxury. Perfectly private, it commands unmatched views over the lagoon, with its own private infinity pool and a slide that plunges straight into the ocean. A wealth of living space, both inside and out, includes large al fresco terraces with plush daybeds and catamaran nets, light and airy bedrooms, a library, private fitness room and outdoor bathroom.
The unique, 1,956 sqm (21,054 sq ft) Villa 34 is inspired by Maldives’ nature, with organic lines, sinuous curves and a sense of light and space throughout. This huge, three-bedroom Island Reserve has a maximum occupancy of six adults and two children, with everything a family needs for a relaxing retreat from everyday life. As well as extensive outdoor living and entertaining areas, including a large swimming pool, sunken dining and signature open-air bathrooms, the property also features a private wine vault, gym and sauna facilities, and a soaring dining tower with panoramic views across the horizon.
- Hotel website: Soneva Jani Residences
- Other accolades: Soneva Jani also features in my lists of the most fabulous overwater villas in the Maldives, the best new luxury hotels of 2016, the most astonishing beach retreats in Asia, and my favorite hotels in the world.
- Review: read my review of Soneva Jani here.
- Contact: contact me to get more information on the Soneva Jani Residences.