Today: Review of Villa Sungai (Bali, Indonesia).
- Location: Google Maps
- Address: Jl. Desa Cepaka, Kaba-Kaba, Kediri, Kabupaten Tabanan, Bali, Indonesia
- Hotel website: Villa Sungai
Bali is one of the hottest destinations in Southeast Asia. Home to turquoise beaches, captivating jungles, valleys of vibrant green rice terraces, volcanoes, and traditional temples, Bali is an island full of discovery and visual magic. To escape the tourist chaos, head to Villa Sungai, located 20 minutes away from Canggu beach, an oasis nestled in the rural village of Cepaka. Witness the Balinese way of life as children, families, and local animals go about their daily routines in the neighborhoods and streets. Know that you are experiencing island tradition unchanged by centuries of passing time history. Book the three-suite flagship Sungai, the three-suite ‘Owner’s Villa’ Sungai Gold next door, or take over both [Sungai Platinum] for the ultimate glam escape.
In this review (more info below the slideshow):
- Pros & things I like
- Cons & things to know
- My verdict
- Tips for future guests & save money
- Reviews of other hotels in Bali & Indonesia
- Best time to visit
- How to get there
PROS & THINGS I LIKE
- The exceptional service at Villa Sungai is obliging, thoughtful, and thorough. From airport transfers and preparing meals to taking care of little ones and organizing activities, you will feel like you are truly being looked after. All of your worries and concerns will be addressed with the utmost care and attentiveness. Villa Sungai’s staff is always smiling and ready to cater to your every need. Attention to detail is faultless, and your likes and dislikes will be learned and noted for the duration of your stay. You will feel like you are leaving family when you depart this beautiful villa.
- Different from the impersonal feel you sometimes experience at hotels, Villa Sungai feels like a home away from home. While you get all the luxuries and service of a 5-star hotel, the villa is secluded and exclusive, giving the impression of a laid-back private residence. Unwind and enjoy privacy, care, and relaxation.
- Built in a jungle, Villa Sungai is located on a small river in the rural Balinese village of Cepaka near Canggu. The narrow roads of the village are sandwiched between sprawling green rice fields, black and golds and browns of temples, and the burnt orange of triangular rooftops. It is a striking visual experience far away from the chaos of tourists. The property is accentuated by lush foliage and a canopy of green. Let the sounds and rhythms of the beautiful natural surroundings coax you into a state of ultimate leisure in this natural world of luxury.
- Kick back in Villa Sungai with complimentary sandals and sarongs. Sink into deeply comfortable king-sized beds complete with soft, extravagant bedding and netted canopies. Expansive indoor/outdoor bathrooms allow you to become one with nature, and are equipped with CHOPARD and bespoke natural toiletries, salon hairdryers, GHD straighteners upon request, make-up mirrors, bathrobes, spa gowns, and slippers. Up-to-date with modern technologies, pavilions have a Bose sound system, and bedrooms come with Tivoli Audio and loaded iPods. Wi-fi, cable television, DVDs players, and satellite TV are all available on the premises.
- For those traveling with family, Villa Sungai has childrens’ lodgings and two interconnecting rooms. Bed rails, netted cots, cribs, baby change mats, baby baths, and potties are all provided to guarantee comfort and convenience for your treasured little ones! Villa Sungai strives to make your child’s stay enjoyable and memorable, so activities like visiting a local school and having a traditional Balinese outfit tailor-made are all available upon request!
- The style of Villa Sungai is a harmony of traditional Balinese and European design. Combining indoor and outdoor living, all suites, dining rooms and leisure pavilions open to the pools. The overall color scheme of the villa is white with khaki soft furnishings, with the decor aiming for authenticity rather than ostentatiousness.
- Villa Sungai orbits around the centerpiece of an 18m (60 ft) lap pool with an infinity edge that overlooks the nearby river and lush green foliage. Go for a refreshing dip anytime your heart desires, or soak up the hot Balinese sun poolside.
- Personalized treatments and yoga classes are offered right on Villa Sungai’s premises. Indulge in a massage, therapeutic skin care, facials, manicures, pedicures, and traditional Balinese healing therapies such as baths, scrubs, and wraps. All products used in the spa are made with all-natural ingredients. Choose from the air-conditioned double spa facility or take in jungle views by the pool during your treatments. After your spa visit, you will feel clean, rejuvenated, and relaxed to the core.
- The food served at Villa Sungai is on par with luxury restaurants charging $50 and upwards for a main. Fresh, locally-sourced ingredients purchased the same day are used to arrange artful Asian-style dishes and Indonesian delights charged at cost of ingredients only! Chef specialties include lime and cashew blue-eye cod rolls with Chinese black vinegar dipping sauce with your pre-dinner cocktails, Balinese lamb stew with yellow rice and their signature roti canai, crab and pomelo salad with Thai herbs , and crisp snapper and snake bean salad with Thai basil, soy and ginger. Enjoy your meal with a wide variety of cocktails devised by the villa’s talented mixologists. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served on elegant table settings and by candlelight in the evenings. Villa Sungai’s innovative approach to food is really something to write home about.
CONS & THINGS TO KNOW
Finding a con of Villa Sungai is very difficult, and the 100+ 5-star reviews on TripAdvisor cements my theory. This rave reviewer sums up my feelings on the villa quite succinctly, and I’m sure you will agree once you arrange for a visit to Villa Sungai yourself:
“… The serenity and beauty of the place is felt as soon as you walk from the car through the threshold and stand at the top of the steps which lead to the villa. Here, one first experiences the mystic feel of this piece of paradise. Looking at the thatched roofs of each pavilion, the anticipation we felt as we descended and then finally walked in to see what we had only seen in photos became a reality. The villa surpassing all expectations was a delightful moment for all of u s…”
- Location: 9/10
- Design: 8/10
- Rooms: 8/10
- Food: 9/10
- Service: 10/10
- Overall Experience: very good: 8.8/10
TIPS FOR FUTURE GUESTS & SAVE MONEY
- Save money: read my tips for getting the best deal at a luxury hotel like Villa Sungai. Book a room at the cheapest price and/or receive many free perks!
- Read my tips for preparing your trip in time.
REVIEWS OF OTHER HOTELS IN BALI & INDONESIA
- Review: Anantara Uluwatu, Bali (Indonesia)
- Review: Bulgari Resort Bali (Indonesia)
- Review: Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali (Indonesia)
- Review of Amankila, Bali’s best luxury hotel
- Review of Amandari (Ubud, Bali)
- Review: Amanjiwo, Borobudur (Java, Indonesia)
- Review of Mandapa, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve (Bali, Indonesia)
- Review: Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan (Ubud, Bali)
- Review: Four Seasons Resort Bali at Jimbaran Bay (Indonesia)
- Hotel review: Villa Sungai, Bali (Indonesia)
- Hotel review: the Viceroy Bali (Indonesia)
- Review: Alila Villas Uluwatu, Bali’s most spectacular hotel
- Hotel review: COMO Shambhala Bali (Indonesia)
- Hotel review: Soori Bali (Indonesia)
BEST TIME TO VISIT
Located close to the equator, temperatures in Bali hover at a balmy 85 degrees Fahrenheit year-found. The frequency of precipitation is the only concern for travelers seeking to visit this paradise island. Rainy season lasts from October to March, and the heavy humidity and torrential rainfalls make this period more unpredictable for adventures and exploration.
The dry season lasts from April to September, and the weather during this time is warm and pleasant. Tourists flood the islands between June and September, so between April and May and the end of September is generally viewed as the optimal time to experience Bali at its finest. However, since Villa Sungai is secluded, private, and quiet, crowds need not deter potential visitors from their stay at this luxurious accommodation.
HOW TO GET THERE
Villa Sungai offers car service to and from the Denpasar airport, eliminating the need to stress about transportation. Do take advantage of their VIP airport butler service and rest assured that drivers will take you anywhere you want to go with a smile and the villa’s signature friendly attitude, and this is included in your room rate.