Today (April 27, 2015): Top 10 most spectacular beach resorts in the world.
Most of us have an irresistible desire to relax on tropical beaches of exotic destinations. Indeed, it’s hard to resist the allure of white soft sand between your toes and a warm and a salty ocean breeze on your face. I hereby present you my top 10 list of the best luxury beach resorts in the world, the ones that impressed me the most during my travels around the globe. It should come as no surprise that most of these ultraluxurious hotels are located in the world’s most spectacular beach destinations.
There is more information below the slideshow. Think I missed one? Share your favorite beach resort in the comments section, or take my poll bellow!
Soori Bali on the southwest coast of Bali might just be the very definition of paradise. Located near the island’s famed Tanah Lot Temple, this luxurious beachfront resort leads you to depths of relaxation you never knew existed. Nestled between lush rice fields and an absolutely gorgeous, glistening volcanic black sand beach lapped by the thundering waves of the Indian Ocean, Soori Bali’s luxurious lofts – most of them coming with a private pool – fully integrate the beach experience in its vibrant mix of spaces. The perfectly calibrated balance of tranquillity and vitality, that is so Bali, does a fine job of soothing and stimulating the senses.
- Hotel website: Soori Bali
- Other top 10 accolades: Soori Bali also features in my top 10 lists of the best luxury hotels in Bali, the most astonishing beach retreats in Asia, and the world’s most beautiful hotel beaches.
- Review: to read my review of Soori Bali, click here.
Located in the heart of Australia’s Great Barrier Reef and set against the backdrop of the Coral Sea, Hayman Island – Australia’s iconic private island resort – is the northernmost of the Whitsunday Islands off the coast of Queensland. After a six month refurbishment of $80 million dollars by the ultraluxurious One & Only Hotel group, the resort reopened in July 2014 as the One&Only Hayman Island, making it one of the best new luxury hotels of 2014. The resort’s stylish elegance reflects the harmony with the astonishing surrounding natural beauty. One&Only reduced the room inventory from 210 to 160, with almost half now configured as suites, villas or penthouses.
- Hotel website: One&Only Hayman Island
- Other top 10 accolades: One&Only Hayman Island, Great Barrier Reef, features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most exclusive private island resorts and the best luxury hotels in Australia.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and one island escape for two).
- Review: click here to read my review of One&Only Hayman Island.
Wind, sand, and stars meet divine luxury at Six Senses Zighy Bay, a secluded mountain getaway perched on crystal waters on Oman’s northern Musandam Peninsula. The resort is as spectacular as its setting, with dramatic mountains on one side and a 1.6 kilometer (1 mile) sandy beach on the other. The resort’s 81 villa-style accommodations blend seamlessly into the desert landscape, the Omani-style brick insulating from daytime heat and giving off warmth at night. There are 13 room options to choose from, all with resplendently palatial bathrooms and stunning heated pools.
- Hotel website: Six Senses Zighy Bay
- Other top 10 accolades: Six Senses Zighy Bay also features in my top 10 lists of the best luxury hotels in Oman, the best health spas in the world and restaurants with views that match the food.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and a complimentary 50-minute massage for up to two people, per room).
- Review: to read my review of Six Senses Zighy Bay, click here.
Las Ventanas al Paraíso’s constant innovation built the resort’s reputation as one of the world’s premier destinations. Since opening in 1997, this desert beach hideaway and Rosewood Resort – located on the southern tip of Baja in Mexico – has captivated guests and celebrities with expansive suites, inspired cuisine and the Spa at Las Ventanas, the resort’s sanctuary of renewal and revitalization. Throughout the resort, pampering and reaching out with special touches are the hallmark of refined hospitality. The rugged Baja desert gives way to the lush, green grounds that surround the resort, which themselves end at a meeting of white sand and blue water sun-soaked Sea of Cortez.
- Hotel website: Las Ventanas Al Paraiso
- Other top 10 accolades: Las Ventanas al Paraiso features in my top 10 lists of luxury hotels where you have the best chance to spot celebrities and the world’s most amazing outdoor hotel rooms.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and $100 USD spa credit).
While the ultraluxurious Four Seasons group manages hotels in almost all of the globe’s best deach destinations, it’s their property on the Hawaiian island of Maui that’s considered to be the brightest jewels in the Four Seasons crown. The Four Seasons Resort, Maui at Wailea has 380 of the island’s most spacious rooms (most with stunning Pacific Ocean views, and each featuring the work of local artists), beautifully landscaped gardens, and several fine dining options. With breathtaking sunsets, pristine beachfront, and palm trees that dot the landscape as far as the eye can see, even the most jaded traveler will find it hard to say goodbye.
- Hotel website: Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, and $100 USD food and beverage credit).
- Review: read my review of the Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea here.
Offering one of the most exclusive island accommodations in the region, this sprawling 44-acre resort matches blissful Polynesian paradise with flawless signature service. Set amidst lush unspoiled surroundings, powdery sands and sparkling turquoise-blue waters guests enjoy spectacular views the mystical Mount Otemanu, towering over the Pacific Ocean, with the remote islands of Tahaa and Raiatea on the horizon. St. Regis Resort, Bora Bora is protected by self-contained saltwater lagoons and designed to complement the surrounding landscape.
- Hotel website: St Regis Bora Bora
- Other top 10 accolades: St Regis Bora Bora also features in my top 10 lists of the best luxury resorts in French Polynesia and the world’s most beautiful hotel beaches.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, 20% discount at spa, and 50% discount off the costs of roundtrip airport boat transfers).
Set on the beautiful island of Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos Islands, Amanyara – managed by Amanresorts, the world’s most exclusive hotel brand – is a secluded haven embracing the best elements of the Caribbean. Bordering the pristine reefs of Northwest Point Marine National Park, acclaimed for some of the world’s best wall and reef diving, the überluxurious resort is blessed with crystal clear turquoise water and a powder-white beach (with some rocky parts). Offering 40 timber-shingled guest pavilions tucked along the coast and a number of villas, this ultraluxurious Caribbean beach resort enjoys a contemporary layout and design, open to the sights and sounds of the turquoise sea.
- Hotel website: Amanyara
- Other top 10 accolades: Amanyara also features in my top 10 lists of the most luxurious resorts in the Caribbean, the best Aman hotels in the world, the world’s most beautiful overwater bungalows, the world’s most beautiful hotel beaches, and the world’s most expensive hotels.
- Tip: enjoy exclusive VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. upgrade on arrival, daily continental breakfast, one a la carte lunch for 2 persons, early check-in and late check-out).
- Review: to read my review of Amanyara, click here.
Granted, the Maldives’ string of ultraluxurious beach resorts could easily take all 10 spots in this list. Supreme and private luxury amid nature’s tropical magic, COMO Maalifushi – opened one year ago – is one of our Maldives’ favorites. A jewel among a string of coral atolls, lagoons, and white sands, the resort is located the pristine Thaa Atoll in the archipelago’s southwest. Among Maldives’ island hotels, the resort is a stand apart with its understated style, encapsulating the spirit of the Indian Ocean and the barefoot chic of this COMO private island resort. The 33 overwater villas and 26 garden suites offer consistently spectacular views of either lush tropical gardens or directly out to the watery expanse.
- Hotel website: Maalifushi by COMO
- Other top 10 accolades: Maalifushi by COMO features in my top 10 lists of the best luxury resorts in the Maldives and the best hotels in the world.
- Review: to read my review of Maalifushi by COMO, click here.
Located in the Seychelles, an island nation in the Indian Ocean blessed with the most beautiful beaches in the world, it should come as no surprise that North Island is one the world’s most exclusive island hideaways. The island has only 11 opulent hand-crafted villas overlooking the pristine, powder-white sands and turquoise waters. The island’s lounge and dining areas, scenically located health spa and gym, library and dive centre, and a rim-flow swimming pool are all built into a granitic outcrop. The resort was the decor for honeymoon of Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge in 2011.
- Hotel website: North Island
- Other top 10 accolades: North Island Seychelles also features in my top 10 lists of the best resorts in the Seychelles, the world’s most exclusive private island resorts, the best hotels in the world, and the world’s most expensive hotels.
- Review: read here my review of North Island Seychelles.
Welcome to what I consider to be the most spectacular and exclusive beach resort in the world. Remote yet accessible by a 1,5 hour flight from Bangkok on the resort’s private plane, Soneva Kiri sits on Thailand’s fourth largest but least populated island, Koh Kood, in the Gulf of Siam. It has 29 spectacular private villas – amongst the largest in the world – that are built on hillsides blanketed with ancient rainforest and overlooking the turquoise waters. Guest are given their own buggy to get to the private and stunning, coconut palm shaded beach, where your toes will go into the powdery soft sand, and where you can stroll through the pristine waters with the ocean lapping at your calves.
Contact me to receive a complimentary room upgrade at the time of booking at Soneva Kiri.
- Hotel website: Soneva Kiri
- Other top 10 accolades: Soneva Kiri also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most beautiful hotel beaches, the world’s most outrageous hotel experiences, the most astonishing beach retreats in Asia, the world’s best family hotels, the best private plunge pools in the world, the best hotels in the world, the world’s most remote luxury hotels, and luxury hotels with private airports.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. villa upgrade, breakfast, early check-in , late check-out, welcome Champagne with Thai tapas on arrival, and a 30 minute spa treatment for two).
- Review: to read my review of Soneva Kiri, click here.