Monday newsletters always feature top 10 travel lists to inspire.
Today (June 22nd, 2014): Top 10: world’s best resorts with private plunge pools.
Swimming pools are the heart and center of action of every hotel, and some are so spectacular that they made it into our top 10 list of the most beautiful hotel pools in the world. However, if you really want to dive into decadence, then staying in a hotel room with its own private plunge pool is a must. It’s a trend among newly built ultra-luxury resorts to impress guests with hotel rooms that feature their own private plunge pools. And let’s face it, nothing beats watching the sunset over cocktails on your private pool terrace, even if you only go swimming occasionally. So, I’ve splashed my way around the globe to present you my selection of the top 10 world’s best hotels rooms with private plunge pools (all-pool-villa resorts).
There is more information below the slideshow. Think I missed one? Share your favorite hotel with private plunge pools in the comments section, or take my poll at the bottom of the page!
Koh Samui, Thailand’s paradise island famous for its inviting sapphire waters and white beaches, offers a destination resort that combines pampering with tranquillity: Banyan Tree Samui. Overlooking scenic Lamai Bay, the resort is nestled in a series of cascading terraces on a private hill cove in the south-eastern coast of Koh Samui. With a pristine, rock-framed, private beach and 78 phenomenal villas, lazy days can be spent in utopian luxury. Each villa has white walls that are punctuated with sliding glass doors opening to a large private pool and glass-railed patio, some with stunning views of the shimmering turquoise Gulf of Thailand.
- Hotel website: Banyan Tree Samui
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $50 USD food & beverage or spa credit).
- Review: to read my review of the Banyan Tree Samui Resort, click here.
Surrounded by emerald jungle, Rosewood Mayakoba is a Riviera Maya resort that defines a private world of rare luxury and refined beauty. Inspired by Mayan traditions, this 1600-acre resort enclave sits along a mile‐long arc of white Caribbean sand, nestled just north of the picturesque waterfront town of Playa del Carmen. Designed to blend harmony with natural landscapes, Rosewood Mayakoba is an oasis of luxury offering 128 suites with private plunge pools, rooftop sundecks, garden showers, individual docks and the finest modern design and details.
- Hotel website: Rosewood Mayakoba
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD spa credit).
Imagine paradise. Tropical island sands. Swaying palms. Endless turquoise waters. Open your eyes and you will be in Naladhu. Maldivian for “beautiful island,” the private island resort offers expansive villa accommodations: the Ocean Houses are on the sunrise side of the resort overlooking the open ocean, and offer a greater feeling of seclusion than the Beach Houses that face the turquoise lagoon. But all villas come with a private pool fronting the azure Indian Ocean, unsurpassed comfort, the idyllic Maldives luxury resort experience, and a graceful elegance that never goes out of style.
- Hotel website: Naladhu
- Other top 10 accolades: Naladhu also features in my top 10 lists of the best luxury resorts in the Maldives and the world’s best honeymoon resorts.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, complimentary WiFi, and $50 USD food & beverage or spa credit).
- Review: to read my review of Naladhu, click here.
A gorgeous bay on the Bodrum Peninsula is home to Amanruya, a tranquil all-season resort that is run by Aman, widely acclaimed as the world’s most exclusive ultra-luxury hotel chain. Named after the Sanskrit word for peace, ‘aman’, and the Turkish word for dream, Amanruya is set on a peaceful hillside, offering breathtaking views of the sea and a winding pathway leading to a sheltered pebble beach. Amanruya offers 36 spacious and elegant Pool Terrace Cottages, each with a private garden and grey-green marble pool. Designed to welcome and soothe, the cottages are gracious homes away from home and a cool air of sophisticated calm prevails.
- Hotel website: Amanruya
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and one lunch for 2).
- Review: to read my review of Amanruya, click here.
Capella Ixtapa, located on the Mexican Pacific Coast, is one of the serious contenders to the title of the world’s most spectacular cliffslide hotel, as the resort is literally attached to majestic cliffs above a powder-white beach and crashing waves. The 59 suites of the hotel are a wonderful intermingling of modern and traditional Mexican touches and all come with a private infinity edge pool and terrace that opens up to the breathtaking views of the Pacific Oceans.
- Hotel website: Capella Ixtapa
- Other top 10 accolades: Capella Ixtapa also features in my top 10 list of the most spectacular cliffside hotels in the world.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast for 2, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD resort credit).
Soori Bali on the southwest coast of Bali might just be the very definition of paradise. Nestled between lush rice fields and glistening volcanic black sands lapped by the Indian Ocean, these luxury villas in Bali fully integrate the beach experience in their vibrant mix of spaces. The 48 luxurious resort villas come in 4 categories and all have their own private pool and in-villa hospitalities such as dedicated villa host service and a double His and Her vanity with a complete range of amazing bath amenities.
- Hotel website: Soori Bali
- Other top 10 accolades: Soori Bali also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most beautiful hotel beaches, the most astonishing beach retreats in Asia, and the world’s most amazing beach hotels.
- Review: to read my review of Soori Bali, click here.
Carved into a hillside on the remote Indian Ocean island of Mahé, Four Seasons Resort Seychelles seeks not to impose itself on the landscape so much as bend to its will. In an island nation blessed with the best beaches in the world, it should come as not surprise that the Four Seasons resort is located along a gorgeous stretch of white sand. You can experience solitude and serenity in one of the 67 luxury resort villas, perched on stilts on the jungle hillside or nestled amid greenery close to the beach. All villas have infinity-edge plunge pools surrounded by a natural hardwood deck.
- Hotel website: Four Seasons Seychelles
- Other accolades: Four Seasons Seychelles also features in my top 10 lists of the best resorts in the Seychelles and the world’s best family hotels.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and $100 USD resort credit).
- Review: to read my review of the Four Seasons Resort Seychelles, click here.
Individual bridges leading to exceptional suites and rugged stoned-faced columns reaching towards the sky, make Jade Mountain one of the Caribbean’s most mesmerizing resort experiences. With the fourth wall entirely absent, Jade Mountain’s 29 suites (called “sanctuaries”) are stage-like settings from which to embrace the full glory of St Lucia’s twin peaks, the Pitons World Heritage Site, and of course, the eternal Caribbean Sea. All sanctuaries (with the exception of the 5 Sky suites) come with private in-room infinity pools that stretch out to maximize the stunning views while you’re swimming.
- Hotel website: Jade Mountain
- Other accolades: Jade Mountain also features in my top 10 lists of hotel rooms with the best views, the world’s best luxury hotels, the world’s best honeymoon resorts, and the most luxurious resorts in the Caribbean.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, $100 USD spa credit, early check in, and late check out).
- Review: to read my review of Jade Mountain, click here.
True to Six Senses’ philosophy of selecting remote yet accessible destinations in areas of outstanding natural beauty, Con Dao Vietnam is a breathtaking location, which has been protected for decades as a national and marine park. The resort is contemporary in design and reflects the essence of a traditional fishing village. All 50 villas rest along a mile of sandy beach, sheltered by hills behind and offering expansive vistas of the sea. They all have a spectacular infinity pool and all building materials are from natural, sustainable sources, and local where possible.
- Hotel website: Six Senses Con Dao
- Other accolades: Six Senses Con Dao also features in my top 10 lists of the most astonishing beach retreats in Asia and the best luxury hotels in Vietnam.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, round-trip private airport transfers, two complimentary 30-minute spa treatments for two, early check in, and late check out).
Remote yet accessible by a 1,5 hour flight from Bangkok on the resort’s private plane, Soneva Kiri sits on Thailand’s fourth largest but least populated island, Koh Kood, in the Gulf of Siam. It has 29 spectacular private villas – amongst the largest in the world – that are built on hillsides blanketed with ancient rainforest and overlooking the turquoise waters. Guest are given their own buggy to get to the private and stunning, coconut palm shaded beach. But most are tempted to stay all day in their villa because of the massive, private freeform swimming pools that seems to come straight out of a fantasy world.
Contact me to receive a complimentary room upgrade at the time of booking at Soneva Kiri.
- Hotel website: Soneva Kiri
- Other accolades: Soneva Kiri also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most beautiful hotel beaches, the world’s most amazing beach hotels, the most astonishing beach retreats in Asia, the world’s best luxury hotels, the world’s best family hotels, the world’s most outrageous hotel experiences, the world’s most remote hotels, and luxury hotels with private airports.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when you book via Virtuoso (e.g. villa upgrade, breakfast, early check-in , late check-out, welcome Champagne with Thai tapas on arrival, and a 30 minute spa treatment for two).
- Review: to read my review of Soneva Kiri, click here.