Today (August 23, 2019): Apply for the best job in the world!
Ultimate Library is recruiting for what surely has to be a new contender for the title of “best job in the world.” The successful candidate will live and run a pop-up book shop for 6 months at ultraluxe Soneva Fushi, one of the most exclusive resorts in the Maldives, where villas can cost up to $30,000 USD per night. The resort, famous for its spectacular beaches, massive Robinson Crusoe-like residences and world-class dining, is located in the stunning Baa Atoll, a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve.
Last December, Ultimate Library opened the first pop-up bookshop in Soneva Fushi to worldwide acclaim. After an incredibly successful first season, the shop will be opening its doors once again in mid-October. With Soneva Resorts best-loved for its Robinson Crusoe-style laidback luxury, the return of the pop-up bookshop creates the ultimate vacancy for a desert island bibliophile: barefoot bookselling in one of the most beautiful places in the world.
The bookshop was created to reflect the stunning natural environment and intelligent luxury that Soneva Fushi provides. While most of us find that holidays are the only opportunity we get to read for pleasure, finding the perfect book that enhances your destination and opens your mind can be a challenge. Previous “barefoot booksellers” have provided guests with unforgettable literary experiences from writer’s workshops to personal reading consultations.
The lucky individual will have a month’s pre-departure product training with the Ultimate Library team, prior to flying to the Maldives to join the Soneva team for a 6-month placement role in mid-October. The ideal candidate will be a team player with a passion for books and the ability to engage with guests of all ages. They will have excellent written and verbal English skills; a lively tone of voice to write an entertaining blog that captures the exhilarating life of a desert island bookseller, and the skills to host workshops and other guest experiences. They must have the ability to fit in with the distinctive Soneva culture. Check out the adventures of the previous booksellers on Instagram (@barefootbookseller) or on the blog www.barefootbookseller.com.
Activities, duties & responsibilities:
- Day to day running of a small the bookshop including sales management, engaging with guests & hosts
- Responsible for all stock management and reporting back on sales & stock updates
- Hosting experiences for Soneva guests such as creative writing classes, bibliotherapy, tutoring (Ages 9-18) and literary lectures
- Running the Barefoot Bookseller social media presence, including Instagram
- Writing monthly blogposts & creating entertaining and informative newsletters
- Liaising with Ultimate Library & Soneva marketing teams on potential events and collaborations
Required Skills & Experience:
- Excellent written & verbal English skills
- A love of reading & in-depth knowledge of both classical and modern literature
- Experience in bookselling/publishing is highly desirable
- Strong knowledge of running social media pages and following trends
- Experience writing blogs or newsletters
- To be a team player and self-starter with a sense of fun and creativity
- Experienced in sales
How to apply?
- To apply, you need to send your CV & a covering letter (in English) to email@example.com.
- Application Deadline: 1st September 2019.
I recently enjoyed one of my best holidays ever at Soneva Fushi, and you can read my comprehensive review (with pros & cons) here. I also made several clips during my stay, highlighting the different aspects of the resorts, which you can watch below.
Soneva Fushi Maldives: my best holiday ever
A flight onboard Soneva’s exclusive seaplane
Soneva Fushi Maldives: most amazing hotel breakfast in the world
Soneva Fushu Maldives: world-class fine dining options
Soneva Fushi Maldives: tour of two-bedroom villa
Soneva Fushi Maldives: tour of three-bedroom villa (sunrise retreat)
Soneva Fushi Maldives: tour of four-bedroom villa (jungle reserve)
Soneva Fushi Maldives: Out of the Blue & slide
Soneva Fushi Maldives: sunset dolphin cruise onboard Soneva In Aqua