Today (August 12, 2019): Top 10 best luxury hotels in London.
With more than 20 million overseas visitors in 2018, London is the second most tourist-visited city in the world (behind Bangkok). It’s no surprise that travelers from all over the globe are flocking to London in record numbers, given the city’s extraordinary museums, fascinating theater scene, numerous top sporting venues, and streets soaked in history. The British capital has accommodation to suit every budget, but if you want to do London properly, you’re really going to have to splurge. However, London is home to so many luxury hotels, that it can be very hard to choose the right one. To help you make the right decision, I’ve compiled a list of my own 10 preferred luxury hotels in London
There is more info (with reviews and Youtube clips) below the slide show. Think I missed one? Share your favorite London hotel in the comments section, or take my poll below!
Overlooking serene Hyde Park – and just moments from the renowned shopping of Knightsbridge – The Berkeley is one of the city’s most sophisticated retreats. Each room and suite skillfully combines comfort, stylish design and the latest innovations to meet the needs of the modern traveler. No two rooms and suites are alike, created as they have been by a handful of the world’s most brilliant interior designers – André Fu, Robert Angell, Helen Green Studio and John Heah among them. Marcus Wareing offers Michelin-starred dining at his eponymous restaurant, Marcus, and the stars come out for cocktails of true color at the Blue Bar. On the seventh floor, the heavenly pool, secret garden and luxury Bamford Haybarn Spa provide a calm retreat with views over the London skyline.
- Hotel website: The Berkeley
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g.room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, seasonal welcome amenity, and £85 GBP food & beverage credit).
Belmond Cadogan Hotel is superbly located on London’s prestigious Sloane Street. This historic property, dating from 1887, opened early 2019 fully renovated and reconceptualized. Built in Queen Anne style, Belmond Cadogan Hotel has long played an integral role in the social history of the Kensington and Chelsea area. After a day spent sampling the delights of the city, you’ll find every indulgence awaiting you back at the hotel. Cozy up in front of the fire with your drink of choice, dine on exceptionally executed modern British cuisine in the restaurant or slip into the indulgence of your beautiful suite. The hotel’s 54 rooms and suites and gourmet restaurant reflect the hotel’s rich heritage, creating a stylish retreat for visitors to what is one of the world’s most exclusive and luxurious shopping enclaves.
- Hotel website: Belmond Cadogan Hotel
- Other accolades: Belmond Cadogan Hotel also features in my list of the most anticipated hotel openings of 2019.
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g.room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and guest choice of one of the following: complimentary lunch for two, quintessentially English Tea for two, or a $100 USD food & beverage credit; bookings for one bedroom suites and up will also receive a complimentary one-way private transfer, either on arrival or on departure to/from Heathrow, Gatwick or City airport).
Opened in 2014, the Shangri-La Hotel At The Shard occupies levels 34 to 52 in the tallest skyscraper of the European Union, the 1,000ft (305m) high The Shard in South London, offering spectacular views of the city below. Subtle Asian touches in the lobby and the contemporary 202 rooms and suites create a Zen-like tranquility and reflect Shangri-La’s heritage. Modern and classic art with pieces from a mix of acclaimed Asian and British artists are showcased throughout the property. Hotel facilities include a fully equipped gym, skypool and a high-end spa. The culinary team puts their hearts into seasonal, modern European cuisine with an Asian twist using ingredients from nearby Borough Market; try hand-dived scallops or organic Welsh lamb.
- Hotel website: Shangri-La At The Shard
- Other accolades: Shangri-La At The Shard features in my list of the best new luxury hotels of 2014.
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g.room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and £85 GBP food & beverage credit).
Perfectly placed on the north bank of the River Thames and set within Covent Garden’s vibrant shopping and theatre district, The Savoy is a well-known luxury hotel in Central London, managed by the Fairmont hotel brand. The 268 lavishly appointed rooms and suites are decorated in either Edwardian or Art Deco style, and feature luxurious marble bathrooms. Many rooms afford great views over the River Thames. Suites also benefit from The Savoy’s dedicated Butler Service. For relaxation or exercise, indulgent spa treatments, a 24-hour gym, and a private pool are available. The Savoy is also known as a destination hotel for foodies and drink connoisseurs alike: a choice of seven stylish restaurants and bars offer something to suit all tastes.
- Hotel website: The Savoy, Fairmont
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, £85 GBP food & beverage credit, 20% off beauty & fitness treatments, and free WiFi).
One of London’s most celebrated 5-star hotels, Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park exudes an enticing mix of Oriental elegance and fashionable luxury in the center of the British capital. With a peaceful, yet central location and overlooking iconic Hyde Park and Knightsbridge, many of London’s most famous attractions are within easy walking distance, with the rest just a short tube or taxi ride away. The hotel has 167 elegant rooms and 26 richly furnished suites with individual features, with a guest services manager on every floor to cater to any needs hotel guests may have. Food lovers can indulge in two of London’s most impressive dining experiences: historic British gastronomic cuisine at Dinner by Heston Blumenthal and authentic French bistro dining at Bar Boulud.
- Hotel website: Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and £100 GBP food & beverage credit).
Surrounded by greenery in the heart of Mayfair, the luxurious and redesigned Four Seasons Hotel London at Park Lane is unique in London, yet still true to the city. Inspired by the “golden age of travel”, the hotel’s 147 guestrooms and 46 suites are a modern take on the staterooms of luxury passenger ships, using classic English shades and furniture. London is also where Four Seasons first introduced many of its signature innovations, from complimentary toiletries and multiple phones in rooms, to overnight laundry and one-hour pressing, to 24-hour business centers. Guests are free to use one of the two Rolls Royce Ghost house cars to visit anywhere within a mile of the hotel, perfect for exploring one of the many fascinating experiences right on our doorstep.
- Hotel website: Four Seasons London at Park Lane
- Tip: enjoy complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD resort credit).
Located at the heart of London’s West End, The Langham London is housed in a magnificent mansion atop Regent Street, one of the city’s premier locations and shopping districts. For 150 years, the legendary hotel has enchanted royalty, dignitaries, and celebrities, and this European icon looks younger than ever, thanks to a major recent refurbishment. The 380 elegantly appointed rooms and suites evoke a residential ambience while offering the conveniences of today. The hotel also offers world-class facilities to restore body and spirit, with a chic spa and a 16 m (53 ft) swimming pool in the basement. The hotel’s dazzling Palm Court is famed as the place where the tradition of afternoon tea was born over 150 years ago, an indulgence that lives on today as Tiffin at The Langham.
- Hotel website: The Langham London
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks at The Langham London when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, complimentary WiFi, kitchen tour and aperitif when dining at Roux at the Landau, and $100 USD food & beverage credit).
- Review: read my review of The Langham London here.
The Lanesborough Hotel reopened in the summer of 2015, following an extensive renovation project by Alberto Pinto, the world-renowned interior design studio. Now managed by the prestigious Oetker Collection, this iconic London landmark is at the heart of the capital’s beloved boutiques and fashionable neighborhoods. The renovation honors the building’s architectural heritage as one of London’s most revered Regency landmarks. The 93 rooms embody a Victorian style, whilst incorporating the latest in contemporary luxury and technological innovations. The Lanesborough is home to the Michelin-starred Céleste restaurant, an award-winning afternoon tea service, a seriously seductive Library Bar and one of London’s best cigar and Cognac lounges in the city.
- Hotel website: The Lanesborough
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and $100 USD hotel credit).
- Review: read my review of The Lanesborough London here.
Located in Knightsbridge on the edge of Hyde Park, London’s Bulgari Hotel is both a haven of calm in the center of the city and yet under a minute’s walk from famous landmarks like Harrod’s department store. Since opening in 2012 the Bulgari has set new standards among the luxury hotels of the British capital. Elegant contemporary architecture and Bulgari’s legendary flair for design are matched by class-leading quality of service. The 85 light-filled rooms and suites are among the largest in London. Many look over Hyde Park and Knightsbridge and each is an uncluttered oasis of calm comfort and understated luxury. The hotel also has a 47-seat cinema, an impressive spa, and a unique cigar shop, to deliver a city hotel experience that is unique in the world.
- Hotel website: Bulgari London
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, welcome amenity, and $100 USD food & beverage credit).
The Rosewood London, currently the finest five-star hotel in London, is situated in one of the UK capital’s most historic thoroughfares, High Holborn. Blending English heritage with contemporary sophistication, the palatial building that houses the hotel has been sensitively renovated to create an ultra-luxurious hotel with the ambience of a stylish London residence. On arrival, an arch in the hotel’s grand façade draws one into a tranquil courtyard, where the hum of the city slips away, replaced by an atmosphere of quiet sophistication and unsurpassed hospitality. It is the perfect start to a memorable stay in a timeless heritage hotel, set just steps from Covent Garden. The Rosewood London offers its guests true urban sanctuaries, with 262 rooms and 44 suites that are among the largest in London.
- Hotel website: The Rosewood London
- Other accolades: The Rosewood London also features in my top 10 list of the most amazing city hotels in Europe and my list of the best new luxury hotels of 2013.
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g.room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and $100 USD hotel credit).
- Review: read my review of The Rosewood London here.