Monday newsletters always feature top 10 travel lists to inspire.
Today (April 22, 2019): Top 10 most insanely beautiful resorts in the Seychelles.
Mother Nature was extremely generous with these 115 idyllic islands scattered in the Indian Ocean east of Kenia. The beauty of its beaches is beyond words, with exquisite ribbons of powdery-soft white sand being lapped by turquoise waters and backed by jungle-covered hills and large rocky boulders. IMHO, its unrivaled scenery makes the Seychelles the planet’s best beach destination (even better than that other famous Indian Ocean destination that I like so much, the Maldives). The last decade, a string of ultra-luxurious and famous resorts opened on these Bounty islands, some of them managed by the world’s most luxurious hotel brands, putting the Seychelles on the bucket list of every discerning traveler. Based on my own personal experience, I hereby present you my favorite 10 luxury resorts in the world’s most gorgeous archipelago.
There is more information below the slideshow. Think I missed one? Share your favorite Seychelles hotel in the comments section, or take my poll below!
Guests arrive by helicopter or scenic boat ride to this award-winning hotel, surrounded by a tropical nature reserve and the Indian Ocean. Hilton Seychelles Labriz is the only resort on majestic Silhouette Island, more than 90 percent of which is protected by the government of Seychelles. Once home to pirates and plantations, today Silhouette Island is populated by pristine white beaches, mountains and virgin rainforest. You can explore the island’s mystique from guided nature tours to biking, fishing, sailing and five-star diving. Accommodations consist entirely of private villas, each with its own garden terrace or pool. The spa is set on stilts over rocks and jungle.
- Hotel website: Hilton Labriz
Set on the northwest coast of Mahé island and overlooking the Port Launay National Marine Park, Constance Ephélia offers a treasure trove of discovery for beachcombers, divers and snorkelers. You can choose from a wide range of elegantly contemporary accommodation, ranging from luxurious junior suites to super deluxe hillside villas. The resort is very large and spread out according Seychellois standards, with no less than five restaurants and five beaches on site. You can pamper yourself with a wide range of treatments at the Spa Village, keep active at the fully equipped gym or challenge yourself to a game of tennis, squash or even beach volleyball.
Nestled on the northwest shore of Praslin island with the ocean lapping gently at the shores of its three perfect white sand beaches and surrounded by luxuriant and rare vegetation, the Constance Lemuria resort is at the heart of a luxury Seychelles experience. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World‘, its accommodations range from elegant, secluded suites with ocean views to regal villas. Opened in late 1999, and completely renovated in 2016, the resort embraces a modern approach to design, skillfully blending luxury and comfort in harmony with the carefully preserved natural beauty of the environment.
- Hotel website: Constance Lemuria
Cradled at the heart of the original Garden of Eden, the island of Praslin, Raffles Seychelles has 86 architecturally exquisite villas, all of them with private plunge pools and outdoor pavilions to soak in breathtaking views of the opal-hued ocean, white sandy beach and lush green hills. This luxurious hotel is infused with Seychellois spirit and traditional Raffles service. The magnificent hotel pool is one of the largest in the Indian Ocean territory. Swim, sunbathe, snorkel, sail, kayak, walk, or just do nothing at all, Raffles Praslin has it all.
- Hotel website: Raffles Seychelles
- Other accolades: Raffles Seychelles also features in my top 10 list of the most spectacular hotel bathrooms in the world.
- Tip: enjoy complimentary VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, complimentary WiFi, and one lunch or dinner for up to two people per room).
- Review: read here my review of Raffles Seychelles.
Located on the picturesque south-western coastline of Mahé island, the Banyan Tree Seychelles might hold some of the most desirable real estate on earth. The resort has 60 exquisite Creole-style villas (some with stunning views) that are located above or along the pristine beach of Intendance Bay. The latter is an impressive crescent of powdery white sand, backed by hills that are covered in lush rain forest. All villas come with a private pool and are lovingly decked in contemporary and colonial decor, evoking equal parts comfort and sensuality. The spa is a serene experience, pairing incomparable views with soothing Asian-influenced treatments.
- Hotel website: Banyan Tree Seychelles
- Other accolades: Banyan Tree Seychelles also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most beautiful hotel beaches and hotel rooms with the world’s best views.
- Review: read my review of Banyan Tree Seychelles here.
Set on secluded Anse Louis beach overlooking the warm Indian Ocean waters, this private twelve-acre property is lushly landscaped with hibiscus, lemongrass and cinnamon. With just ten ocean-front villas and 20 panoramic villas, all with private pools, and a staff of 230, the resort insures an exceptional level of service. Pampering and wellness are also the focus at the Balinese-style spa, which offers instruction in Hatha yoga and Qigong, as well as restorative treatments performed in open-air pavilions.
- Hotel website: Anantara Maia Seychelles Villas
- Review: read my review of Anantara Maia Seychelles Villas here.
Set in the heart of a lost Eden, Four Seasons Resort Seychelles offers guests an unrivalled luxury hotel experience in a natural jungle setting. The resort’s villas, each with plunge pool and perched on a jungled hillside will challenge your notion of paradise. The powder-sand beach is just a short stroll away, scented en-route by cinnamon trees and frangipani. As well as indulging in water sports, there’s a lovely swimming pool to relax by with poolside dining and refreshments readily available. The spa is a treat for all, located at the top of the hill and overlooking spectacular Petite Anse, with both adults and children welcome.
- Hotel website: Four Seasons Resort Seychelles
- Other accolades: Four Seasons Resort Seychelles also features in my top 10 list of the world’s best hotel rooms with private plunge pools.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and $100 USD resort credit).
- Review: read here my review of Four Seasons Resort Seychelles.
Six Senses Zil Pasyon is located on the island of Félicité, one of the most dramatically beautiful and unspoiled islands in the Seychelles. With massive granite boulders fringing the shoreline and picture perfect beaches, it is the island’s dramatic beauty that make it the perfect private island escape. True to Six Senses heritage of creating exceptional guest experiences in places of incredible beauty, the resort occupies just one-third of the island’s land total – the rest is left to the beauty of nature and wildlife. The resort includes 28 one-bedroom pool villas and a couple of two-bedroom pool villas plus 17 private residences. Six Senses Zil Pasyon offers six dining and bar venues on the island, sport and leisure facilities, three pristine sandy beaches and a phenomenal spa.
- Hotel website: Six Senses Zil Pasyon
- Other accolades: Six Senses Zin Pasyon also features in my lists of the best new luxury hotels of 2016 and Africa’s most astonishing beach retreats.
- Tip: enjoy complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, and $100 USD resort credit).
- Review: read here my review of Six Senses Zil Pasyon.
Fregate Island Private is a secluded paradise, 4 degrees south of the equator and 35 miles (65 km) from the Seychelles’ main island Mahe. Here, you will discover the castaway idyl of your dreams amidst relaxed luxury. Sensitively developed, the natural surroundings are home to free roaming giant Aldabra tortoises, sea turtles and a plethora of rare and exotic birds, all cared for in an ambitious conservation programme. Nestled amidst the fauna by the sea are 16 villas crafted in balau wood, each with private pool and beach buggy. Guests are greeted by their personal butler who sees to every possible desire and comfort. The island has seven stunning beaches.
- Hotel website: Fregate Island Private
- Tip: enjoy complimentary VIP perks when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out, daily breakfast, complimentary WiFi, and $100 USD spa credit).
North Island is the world’s most exclusive hideaway and the best hotel I have ever been to. The insanely beautiful island has only 11 opulent hand-crafted villas overlooking the pristine, powder-white sands and turquoise waters of the Ile Du Nord eco-reserve. Raised off the ground to catch the cooling Indian Ocean breezes, all villas open up onto your private garden and the beach. Plunge pools and outdoor showers provide the finishing touches to your private sanctuary. The island’s lounge and dining areas, scenically located health spa and gym, library and dive centre, and a rim-flow swimming pool are all built into a granitic outcrop. Keep an eye out for Brutus, the island’s 160-year-old tortoise. The resort was the decor for honeymoon of Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge in 2011.
- Hotel website: North Island
- Other accolades: North Island also features in my top 10 lists of world’s most exclusive private island resorts, the world’s best luxury hotels, the world’s most expensive hotels, the world’s best honeymoon resorts, and Africa’s most astonishing beach retreats.
- Review: read here my review of North Island Seychelles.