Today (June 18, 2018): Top 10 best luxury hotels in Russia.
For the next few weeks, Russia is capturing the world’s attention with the organization of the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Held every four years, the international competition in football – obstinately referred to as soccer by Americans – is expected to have a global audience of more than three billion viewers or about half the total world population. The heightened media attention on Russia as it hosts the World Cup will likely boost tourism in the world’s largest country. From the ancient fortresses of Moscow to the lavish architecture in popular Saint Petersburg and beyond, Russia offers a a lot of inspiration for a pleasant vacation. Ample history in politics, culture and people, the Soviet destination teaches visitors a thing or two with its many museums, palaces and churches. You can also take a dip in the Black Sea, ski at famous resorts like Krasnaya Polyana, or observe wildlife in the Kamchatka Peninsula. I hereby share with you a breakdown of the most exclusive places to stay in Russia.
There is more information below the slideshow. What’s your favorite hotel in Russia? Take my poll or leave a comment below.
At the heart of Moscow, with superb views of downtown, the Kremlin and Red Square, the St Regis Moscow Nikolskaya combines a rich history with impeccable service. Built in the 1870s, the building has a wonderful past as it was the residence of Count Orlov-Davydov until the early years of the 20th century. The historic façade of this architectural ensemble has been lovingly preserved and renovated, and the superb decorative mosaic was partially saved during the painstaking reconstruction (it is proudly on display today). The 210 rooms make a bold statement with rich, vibrant hues and evocative artworks. Hotel facilities include an elegant spa and several dining venues with food offerings ranging from authentic Italian to gourmet burgers.
- Hotel website: St Regis Moscow Nikolskaya
- Tip: enjoy free VIP perks at St Regis Moscow Nikolskaya when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD hotel credit).
The Rodina Grand Hotel and Spa is located in the heart of Sochi, which is often referred to as the Russian Riviera because its landscapes and scenery are reminiscent of the Mediterranean. The central building of the hotel is designed in the best traditions of Stalin’s neoclassicism and set in a magnificent subtropical park of 15 ha. Giant cedars and larches, elegant maples and delicate rhododendrons, and other unique plants from all over the world spread down to the Black Sea as a gorgeous carpet. The property has 40 designer rooms in the grand hotel wing and 20 additional rooms in the villa wing. The Grand Hotel & Spa Rodina also has a luxurious spa for relaxation, and a movie theater, where guests can screen the latest national and international releases.
- Hotel website: Rodina Grand Hotel and Spa
Moments from Red Square and the Kremlin, the Ritz-Carlton Moscow celebrates Russian culture and decadence at every opportunity. A gilded interior, reflecting the beauty of 19th-century classicism, houses 5-star hotel amenities including a spa inspired by European and Eastern traditions, a rooftop lounge and spacious accommodations in the city center. The hotel offers 334 of the largest guestrooms and suites in the city. The world-class dining options include O2 Lounge (its summer terrace on the 12th floor offers panoramic views over the Kremlin and Red Square), Café Russe (for international cuisine) and Novikov Restaurant & Bar (serving Pan-Asian specialties). The hotel became (in)famous after reports claim that Donald Trump met with escorts at the hotel’s presidential suite during his 2013 stay in Moscow.
- Hotel website: The Ritz-Carlton Moscow
- Tip: enjoy free VIP perks at the Ritz-Carlton Moscow when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD food & beverage credit).
The Taleon Imperial Hotel is the only lodging in St Petersburg providing accommodations in a czarist-era palace. Restored and modified by some of Russia’s finest artistic talent, the hotel opened in 2003 in time to celebrate the city’s 300th anniversary. The hotel offers 29 rooms in six standards of splendor. The most opulent is the Presidential Suite – of which there are only two apartments. Each suite and room has been individually designed and decorated with the finest Italian furnishings, and hand-painted reproductions of masterpieces from major art museums, such as the State Hermitage Museum, adorn the walls. Inside each suite and room you will find everything to meet your exclusive needs.
- Hotel website: Taleon Imperial Hotel
- Tip: enjoy free VIP perks at Taleon Imperial Hotel when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and a complimentary 3-course lunch or dinner for up to two people per room, once during stay).
Enjoying an enviable location overlooking the Kremlin and the Moskva River, Hotel Baltschug Kempinski Moscow has long been the hideaway of choice for politicos, business travelers and sophisticated globetrotters. The hotel’s classic façade dates back to 1898, but inside you’ll find a fully modern luxury environment with refined décor, large public spaces, and all of the contemporary amenities. You can choose from 227 spacious rooms and suites, many with a view of the Kremlin, Red Square or St Basil’s Cathedral (ask about the Design and Kremlin Suites). Dining is of particular note here: choices include the luxurious breakfast at the Baltschug Grill restaurant and exquisite international cuisine at the refined Cafe Kranzler.
- Hotel website: Hotel Baltschug Kempinski Moscow
- Tip: enjoy free VIP perks at Hotel Baltschug Kempinski Moscow when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD food & beverage credit).
Ararat Park Hyatt Moscow is located in the very heart of the Russian capital, Moscow, within the immediate vicinity of the Bolshoi Theatre and only a few minutes walk from the Kremlin, Red Square, the Russian Parliament building and the central business district. The hotel is a newly renovated timeless, world-class, residential style hotel designed by gamous Tony Chi for the discriminating traveler who seeks privacy, personalized service and outstanding quality. The tastefully furnished 206 spacious and luxurious guest rooms include 35 suites with individual designs that project a cosmopolitan yet very residential feel, complemented by a range of modern features and technology which are available in each room.
- Hotel website: Ararat Park Hyatt Moscow
- Tip: enjoy free VIP perks at Ararat Park Hyatt Moscow when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, guaranteed 4pm late check-out, and $100 USD food & beverage credit).
Belmond Grand Hotel Europe offers a smart combination of historical ambience with modern facilities enjoyed by today’s discerning traveler. The hotel is set in the heart of St Petersburg, across from the Shostakovich Philharmonic, next to the Russian Museum and the Moussorgsky opera and ballet theatre and within walking distance of the Hermitage Museum and the Winter Palace Square. The hotel has 301 rooms and suites replete with handsome period furnishings, including the magnificent Lidval and Rossi Presidential Suites. The property’s seven restaurants and bars include the art nouveau splendour of L’Europe, serving French and European specialties beneath an original stained glass ceiling. The Lobby and Piano Bars are popular meeting places throughout the day and evening.
- Hotel website: Belmond Grand Hotel Europe
- Tip: enjoy free VIP perks at Belmond Grand Hotel Europe when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and a complimentary lunch or dinner for up to two people per room, once during stay).
Four Seasons Hotel Moscow offers a landmark location adjacent to Red Square and the Kremlin, with views of the Duma (Lower House of the Russian Parliament) and the domes and golden spires of St Basil’s Cathedral. Four Seasons is a modern replica of the legendary Hotel Moskva, originally built in the 1930s – connecting with history yet stylish and contemporary. Offering the city’s most spacious accommodations, the hotel’s 180 rooms and suites are naturally lit through floor-to-ceiling windows, and many have step-out balconies. With signature restaurants and bars, along with a chic day spa and lovely indoor swimming pool, the hotel attracts the local elite and introduces international guests to today’s upscale Moscow.
- Hotel website: Four Seasons Hotel Moscow
- Tip: enjoy free VIP perks at Four Seasons Hotel Moscow when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD spa credit).
Located in the heart of St Petersburg, Rocco Forte Hotel Astoria combines Russian character with the elegant sophistication of an international luxury hotel. Contemporary design, original antiques and personalized service give the Astoria a charming and welcoming feel and create an intimate atmosphere. The property boasts 213 guestrooms, including 39 luxurious suites. All rooms and suites are comfortable furnished in the simple, but elegant style that is synonymous with the Rocco Forte brand. Many have stunning views over St Isaac’s Square, the Monument of Nicholas I and the Mariinsky Palace. Facilities at the hotel include a spa, fitness centre, swimming pool, Finnish sauna, Turkish steam room, fine dining restaurants and a caviar bar.
- Hotel website: Rocco Forte Hotel Astoria
- Tip: enjoy free VIP perks at Rocco Forte Hotel Astoria when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD food & beverage credit).
Just two blocks from the Hermitage Museum and close to Nevsky Prospekt and the Mariinsky Theatre, Four Seasons Hotel Lion Palace St. Petersburg provides a dreamy luxury experience: living like Russian royalty in an authentic 19th-century palace. This fully restored, 19th-century royal palace showcases gilded ceilings and an elegant gold-and-cream color palette. Heritage hotel interiors, including the main stairway, vestibule and entry hall, have all been painstakingly restored to their original 1820 beauty, while newly appointed luxury hotel areas reflect imperial Russian style while feeling fresh, light and contemporary. The 183 guestrooms have been updated with a fresh, airy feel. The four-level spa features a glass-roofed pool and Russian steam room.
- Hotel website: Four Seasons Hotel Lion Palace St Petersburg
- Tip: enjoy free VIP perks at Four Seasons Hotel Lion Palace St. Petersburg when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD spa credit).