I recently enjoyed a FABULOUS holiday in the incredibly beautiful Maldives. You can read my trip reports here:
- Review: Qatar Airways B787 Dreamliner Business Class Brussels to Doha
- Review: Qatar Airways A330 Business Class Doha to Male
- Review: Dhevanafushi Maldives Luxury Resort
- Review: Trans Maldivian Airways sea plane transfer
- Review: The St Regis Maldives Vommuli
- Review: Largest overwater villa in the Maldives (today)
- Review: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa
- Review: Transfer from Park Hyatt Hadahaa to Male airport
- Review: Soneva Jani (most stunning resort in the Maldives)
- Review: SriLankan A330 Business Class Male to Doha (via Colombo)
Today (May 3, 2017): Review of the Maldives’ largest overwater villa.
The bi-level, three-bedrooms John Jacob Astor Estate is the largest overwater residence in the Indian Ocean archipelago. The palatial villa is located along the western jetty of the ultraluxe St Regis Vommuli Maldives, which I have covered in a separate review that you can read here. As you may expect, the estate does not come cheap and will cost you (and your travel party) at least $25,000 USD per night, depending on the season. But that money will buy you a stay at the pinnacle of contemporary island luxury in the Maldives. I did not stay at the estate, but was offered a tour during my holiday at the St Regis Vommuli.
In this review (more info and photos below my Youtube clip and slideshow):
- Features of the villa
- Tips for future guests & save money
- My review of other luxury resorts in the Maldives
- Best time to visit
- How to get there
FEATURES OF THE VILLA
- The epitome of sophistication and a premier destination for entertaining, the venerable overwater John Jacob Astor Estate boasts panoramic vistas of the tropical ocean waves, impeccable design, and pristine amenities.
- The ground-floor features a palatial living room that is distinguished by its lofty ceilings and floor-to-ceiling glass doors suffusing the space with natural light. The adjacent formal dining room is the idyllic setting for memorable gatherings of up to 12 people. A show kitchen and butler pantry afford unparalleled convenience for larger travel parties.
- The living room opens up to the estate’s vast furnished terrace, which showcases a private stretch of man-made beach floating above the ocean, and a large infinity swimming pool framed by a plush daybed, sofas, and sun loungers.
- Modern technology includes a Bang & Olufsen 55-inch LCD television and sound system as well as iPad room controls. A separate home theater – with a Bang & Olufsen 85-inch LCD television and state-of-the-art surround sound – is located on the ground floor and offers effortless entertainment.
- An exercise room on the ground floor provides cardio and weight machines as well as a yoga studio.
- Both ends of the ground floor feature a bedroom, one with a king-size bed and one with two queens. Each bedroom boasts a refined living space with direct access to a private furnished terrace with a Jacuzzi whirlpool revealing unfettered sea vistas. Marble bathrooms showcase a glass-enclosed rainforest shower while a spa room features a steam room and massage table. Thoughtful touches include 55-inch LCD televisions and oversized walk-in closets.
- Perched on the upper floor, the master bedroom is a lavish haven revealing dramatic ocean views from a magnificent private balcony. The living room features a plush sofa and armchairs crowned by an elegant chandelier as well as a 55-inch LCD television. Bay window seats and a wooden writing desk form an inviting workspace in the adjacent study. The separate bedroom features a king-size four-poster bed that promises unsurpassed repose. Ocean views continue in the marble bathroom, where double vanities showcase burnished fixtures and a 20-inch mirror-embedded LCD TV while the rainforest shower is enclosed by glass doors. A separate spa room, with massage table and steam room, and Remède bath amenities ensure unparalleled pampering.
- The estate is enhanced by its own butler and nanny accommodations, assuring impeccable service.
TIPS FOR FUTURE GUESTS & SAVE MONEY
- Save money: read my tips for getting the best deal at a luxury hotel like the St Regis Vommuli (and/or receive many free perks).
- Save money: Starwood Preferred Guests (SPG) with Gold or Platinum status are well treated, with – amongst other benefits – free high-speed WiFi, complementary room upgrade (when available), early check-in or late check-out (when available), and free breakfast (SPG platinum). Click here to read my review of the SPG program (with pros & cons).
- Save money: book your room with an additional 20% off making use of a Best Rate Guarantee.
- Read my tips for preparing your trip in time.
MY REVIEWS OF OTHER LUXURY HOTELS IN THE MALDIVES
- Review: Soneva Jani, the Maldives’ most famous resort
- Review: Soneva In Aqua, the Maldives’ most exclusive yacht
- Review: Soneva Fushi (Maldives), my best holiday ever!
- Review of Soneva Jani, the Maldives’ most fabulous resort
- Hotel review: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa
- Review of the largest overwater villa in the Maldives
- Review: The St Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort
- Review: Dhevanafushi Maldives Luxury resort
- Hotel review: Maalifushi by COMO (Maldives)
- Hotel review: Naladhu, South Male Atoll (Maldives)
- Hotel review: One&Only Reethi Rah (Maldives)
- Hotel review: Gili Lankanfushi (Maldives)
BEST TIME TO VISIT
The best weather in the Maldives is between January and April, which also means high season (with low availability and very expensive room rates). The monsoon runs from May to October, peaking in June. It is worth paying higher prices and sticking to the dry season as there is nothing to do on a rainy day except drink, eat, work out or scuba dive. Especially November and December, which are often labelled as dry season months, have been very unsettled in recent years.
HOW TO GET THERE
Getting to the St Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort requires a 40-minute seaplane transfer from Male International Airport (MLE). Check the Wikipedia page of Male International Airport for an updated list of airlines that offer flights to Male International Airport:
- From/via Asia: Bangkok Airways (via Bangkok), Tigerair (via Singapore), Singapore Airlines (via Singapore), Cathay Pacific (via Hong Kong), Air India (via Bangalore, Chennai, Thiruvanathapuram), China Eastern Airlines (via Colombo, Kunmnig), Cina Southern Airlines (via Guanghzou), Hainan Airlines (via Bejing), Korean Air (via Colombo and Seoul), Shanghai Airlines (via Shanghai), Srilankan Airlines (via Colombo), Maldivian (Chennai, Chongqing, Colombo, Dhaka, Thiruvanathapuram), Mega Maldives (via Bejing, Hong Kong, Shanghai).
- From/via Middle East: Emirates (via Dubai), Flybudai (via Dubai), Qatar Airways (via Doha), Etihad Airways (via Abu Dhabi), Oman Air (via Muscat), Turkish Airlines (via Istanbul).
- From/via Europe: Austrian Airlines (via Vienna), British Airways (via London), Thompson Airways (via London), Monarch Airlines (via London), Condor (via Frankfurt), Edelweiss Air (via Zurich), Meridiana (via Rome or Milan), Neos (via Rome or Milan), Transaero Airlines (via Moscow), Lufthansa (via Frankfurt), Air France (via Paris).