Today (June 1, 2015): top 10 luxury hotels owned by celebrities.
Few people know more about the world’s most exclusive hotel brands than A-list celebrities who spend half their life living in them. We previously published a list of 10 luxury hotels that are very popular with celebrities and where you have a good chance of spotting one. Some celebs took their travel passion one step further and created their own high-end hotels in their hometown or favourite holiday destination. Robert Redford seems to have started the trend when he opened the Sundance Resort in 1969. I hereby present you my selection of the 10 best luxury hotels that are owned by celebrities.
There is more information below the slideshow. Think I missed one? Share your favorite, celebrity-owned hotel in the comments section, or take my poll at the bottom of the page!
The Clarence is a five-star hotel located in Dublin’s Temple Bar neighbourhood on the River Liffey. It was built in 1852, and bought in 1992 by Paul David Hewson aka Bono and David Howell Evans aka The Edge, of U2 fame, who refurbished the place. The hotel boasts fifty bedrooms and suites, along with a spectacular Penthouse Suite. Within the hotel complex there are many drinking and dining experiences, which are more or less known as the unofficial meeting place for actors, musicians and the like.
- Owners: Bono & The Edge (U2)
- Hotel website: The Clarence
The historic Mission Ranch sits on 22 acres with spectacular views of California’s Point Lobos, Carmel River Beach and the Pacific Ocean. Once one of the first dairies in California, the rich history of this 1800’s ranch was preserved and restored by former Carmel Mayor, actor and director Clint Eastwood. A longtime Carmel resident, Clint Eastwood rescued this landmark resort from condo developers, and renovated the entire property to provide a unique resort experience. The Inn now consists of 31 hotel rooms located within ten buildings on the property.
- Owner: Clint Eastwood
- Hotel website: The Mission Ranch
Billionaire real-estate tycoon Donald Trump owns a hotel empire – the Trump collection – and his Chicago property is our favorite. Soaring 92 stories above the windy city, Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago is a showcase of bold style and engaging design, polished stainless steel and iridescent-tinted glass. It is the tallest reinforced concrete building in the world. The 339 guest rooms and suites are immaculately designed and come with impressive city views through floor-to-ceiling windows.
- Owner: Donald Trump
- Hotel website: Trump Chicago
- Other top 10 accolades: The Trump Hotel Chicago also features in my top 10 list of hotel rooms with spectacular views.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, seasonal amenity, and USD $100 hotel credit).
The Greenwich Hotel, co-owned by famous actor Robert De Niro, is nestled in TriBeCa’s cobblestone streets, offering intimacy, discretion, and easy access to shopping, nightlife and all New York has to offer. The hotel has 88 rooms and suites, of which no two are alike. Furnishings draw from a wide range of cultural influences, from hand-loomed, Tibetan silk rugs to English leather settees. Bathrooms are designed in unique patterns of hand-laid Moroccan tile or Italian Carrara marble. Modern technology complements the hotel’s old-world charm.
- Owner: Robert De Niro
- Hotel website: The Greenwich Hotel
- Other top 10 accolades: The Greenwich Hotel also features in my top 10 list of the best luxury hotels in New York.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD spa credit).
Nestled in the world’s tallest tower, iconic Burj Kalifha, the hotel of fashion designer Georgio Armani occupies the concourse level to level 8 and levels 38 and 39, hereby offering sweeping views of the city. The hotel, with its 160 rooms and suites, promises a home-away-from-home experience: sophisticated colors, clean lines and unique textures blend together seamlessly with the tower’s stunning architecture and natural light to create an atmosphere of calm serenity and minimalist elegance. Armani now also own a Milan property.
- Owner: Georgio Armani
- Hotel website: Armani Hotel Dubai
- Other top 10 accolades: The Armani Hotel Dubai also features in my top 10 list of world’s most luxurious city hotels.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, one lunch or dinner for 2, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, $50 USD spa credit, free WiFi, and access for two at The Top, Level 124 in the Burj Khalifa).
Following extensive refurbishment, tennis champion Andy Murrey has transformed this elegant Victorian Perthshire mansion into a luxury 15-bedroom and Gate Lodge. Situated in beautiful countryside, just three miles from Dunblane, Cromlix is set in 34 acres of secluded woodlands and garden grounds, with its own chapel and house loch. The hotel boasts a Chez Roux restaurant, five suites and ten bedrooms, gate lodge accommodation, reception hall, two drawing rooms, conservatory, dining room, snooker and meeting rooms.
- Owner: Andy Murrey
- Hotel website: Cromlix House
- Other accolades: Cromlix House also features in my list of the best new luxury hotels of 2014.
In 2007, actor Richard Gere rescued and restored this historic property dating back to the 1860’s and set in the heart of Westchester County, in Bedford, New York state. Today, the Bedford Post Inn is a Relais & Chateaux property and home to 8 rooms, most of them having working fireplaces and terraces that overlook the wooded property. There’s also a yoga studio, and two distinct restaurants, with the Farmhouse focusing on formal fare while the Barn offers fine food in a more casual environment.
- Owner: Richard Gere
- Hotel website: Bedford Post Inn
Sir Richard Branson’s 74 acre private island is unquestionably one of the most idyllic place in Caribbean and part of Virgin Limited Edition, Branson’s portfolio of unique retreats. There is a dedicated team of fabulous staff on the island plus more than 200 flamingos who are all part of the Necker family! Necker Island made news for all the wrong reasons in August 2011 when a lightning strike set fire to the Great House, but it is open for business again after an extensive restoration.
- Owner: Richard Branson
- Hotel website: Necker Island
- Other top 10 accolades: Necker Island also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s most exclusive private island resorts, the best luxury resorts in the Caribbean, and the world’s most expensive hotels.
In the early 1980s, film director Francis Ford Coppola visited Belize, immediately fell in love with the location, and purchased the abandoned Blancaneaux Lodge. For more than a decade the resort was used as a family retreat before Francis opened his tropical paradise to the public in 1993. The resort is tucked away in a pocket of the Maya Mountains, where waterfalls tumble into turquoise pools above the jungle canopy. Its remote mountain setting makes it a perfect place to relax, rejuvenate and enjoy life’s simple pleasures.
- Owner: Francis Ford Coppola
- Hotel website: Blancaneaux Lodge
- Other top 10 accolades: Blancaneaus lodge also features in my top 10 list of the world’s most luxurious rainforest lodges.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and a horseback riding trip through the Jaguar Jungle to Big Rock Falls).
Hidden among the out islands of the Exumas, in the Bahamas, you will find over 700 acres of lush natural beauty that belong to illusionist David Copperfield. This is one of the most exclusive resorts on earth, a place where secluded privacy is completely redefined. Musha Cay features a total of 12 bedrooms spread throughout five luxury homes, each with its own private beach, and spacious living and dining areas. It can all be yours to explore, and the only other guests (max 24) are selected by you.
- Owner: David Copperfield
- Hotel website: Musha Cay