1. Latest news from the luxury travel industry around the world
- The first flights have begun to arrive at London Heathrow’s new Terminal 2, almost 60 years after the original Terminal 2 opened as the airport’s first passenger terminal in 1955. United Airlines was the first airline to move into the terminal and will operate 17 arriving and 17 departing flights for nearly 6,000 passengers per day. Terminal 2 will eventually be home to 26 airlines – 23 members of the Star Alliance as well as Aer Lingus, Germanwings and Virgin Atlantic Little Red. Airlines will move into the new terminal in phases over the next six months. When fully occupied, Terminal 2 will have 332 daily flights to 54 global destinations. The new Terminal 2 is the next step in the transformation of passenger service at Heathrow. The proportion of passengers rating their journey at Heathrow as “very good” or “excellent” has increased from 41 per cent in 2006 to 80 per cent in 2014.
- Park Hyatt Vienna opened on June 2, the first incursion of the Hyatt brand into Austria. It’s in a nice, slightly different position from most of the other lux hotels: on the slightly less touristy northwestern side of the Innere Stadt. The property occupies a 100-year-old listed building that formerly served as the headquarters of a Bank. The hotel is located within Vienna’s First District, which is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. There are 143 rooms, and a restaurant, bar, and cigar and whisky lounge (possibly copying the nearby Keminski’s). The spa boasts a pool in the old bank vault, and uses Sodashi products for its treatments.
Following an 18-month, €25m refurbishment after it ran out of money in 2012, San Clemente Palace in Venice will reopen as a St Regis property on June 15. (Somehow, Starwood has won out over Four Seasons, which initially was slated to take it on.) The St Regis Venice will have 146 rooms, with views either over the island or towards Venice proper. “Contemporary Venetian” is the theme for the decor. The resort is located on its own private island in the heart of the Venice lagoon, just minutes away from Piazza San Marco by one of the hotels iconic complimentary boats. The bespoke St Regis Butler service will take care of all your requests ensuring that unique preferences are known and addressed flawlessly.
2. Our pick of the best luxury hotel deals
All these deals are weekly updated on the website as well. We hereby only mention the hotel deals that were added last week:
- Kiwicollection is offering a 50% discount at Mount Cinnamon Resort and Beach Club, which is set amidst colorful tropical gardens with uninterrupted turquoise views of the Caribbean and two miles of white sand beach in Grenada. While quantities last, enjoy rates as low as $175 US per night.
3. Our pick of the best luxury travel competitions on the internet
These competitions are weekly updated on the website as well. We hereby only mention the luxury travel competitions that were added last week:
- Win 200,000 Flying Blue miles and one year of Platinum Status with Air France and KLM (and there will be 3 winners). Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 9 July 2014.
- For USA residents only: in celebration of US Airways, TAM Airlines and SriLankan Airlines joining Oneworld, American Airlines is giving five lucky winners a luxurious trip for two to the continent of their choice, including: two First Class tickets, a seven-night stay at any hotel within the Hilton Portfolio, and a luxury point-and-shoot Hasselblad Stellar camera. Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 13 June 2014.
- For USA residents only: Atlantic Luggage has partnered with Delta to offer a trip for four to the winner’s choice of either California or Washington D.C. The grand prize includes: Roundtrip airfare for four on Delta Airlines to either Los Angeles or Washington D.C., choice of Delta Vacations Hotel Accommodations, choice of Delta Vacations activity package, and 4 four Atlantic carry-on size suitcases. Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 13 June 2014.
- For USA residents only: Johny Jet is giving away 120,000 HawaiianMiles (enough for two roundtrip tickets between Hawaii and any one of their North American gateway cities) and a two-night stay at The Modern for two. (with welcome amenity and $150 dining credit). Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 1 July 2014.
- For USA residents only: win one million airline miles for joining Points.com. You can only enter if you are not already a registered user of Points.com. Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 13 July 2013.
- For USA & Canada residents only: Food&Wine has partnered with Pottery Barn to offer a prize trip to Paris. One winner will receive a trip for two including roundtrip airfare, four nights at a luxury hotel and$1,000 to spend in Paris. Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 8 June 2013.
- For USA residents only: win a family trip to Atlantis Paradise Island in Nassau, Bahamas valued at $7,834.00 with the Cartoon Network. Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 10 June 2014.