Today (June 3, 2019): Top 10 best luxury hotels & resorts in Switzerland.
Switzerland is a small landlocked country right in the heart of the Alps, bordered by Austria, France, Germany, Italy and Liechtenstein. The country’s ravishing mountain scenery, rural villages, glitzy ski resorts, pristine lakes, and green rolling pastures offer unbeatable winter adventures and summer outdoor experiences. The variety of different sights to see in Switzerland is truly incredible, ranging from giant glaciers, epic mountain peaks, and wild rivers, but also vibrant cities, world-class museums, and scenic train journeys. Luxury hotels are in abundant supply in Switzerland, ranging from lofty Alpine retreats to stylish lakeside resorts. Here’s my top 10 list of the most phenomenal luxury hotels and resorts in Switzerland.
There is more information (with reviews & Youtube clips) below the slideshow. Think I missed one? Leave a comment or take my poll below.
The Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains is ideally located in St. Moritz Bad, with direct access to the cable car station to the ski and mountain region Corviglia. All rooms and suites are elegantly and timelessly appointed and reflect unpretentious luxury and stylish class. The historical – but contemporarily depicted – motifs of the pictures bear witness to the glamorous past of St. Moritz while the technical equipment is state-of-the-art. With three award-winning restaurants (one Michelin Star), one Asian culinary outlet, an Alpine Kempinski The Spa and many more facilities, the Kempinski in St.Moritz with its sportive and relaxed atmosphere provides the very best the Swiss mountains have to offer: pure alpine recreation.
- Hotel website: Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast for two, early check-in, late check-out, $100 CFS hotel credit).
- Other accolades: Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains also features in my top 10 list of the best ski hotels in Europe.
The Hotel Palafitte is located in the town of Neuchâtel-Monruz in the northwest corner of Switzerland, overlooking Lake Neuchâtel, the largest lake in Switzerland. Featuring 40 total pavilions, 24 of which are on stilts out over the lake, the property is the only overwater-bungalow resort in all of Europe. The hotel was built opened in 2002 as part of the Swiss national exhibition Expo.02. By choosing to build the hotel on stilts, the designers created a fascinating link with the site’s ancient history: in the area, archaeologists have discovered the oldest remains of houses in Switzerland – built on stilts. The overwater bungalow resort is popular with business groups and for retreats, but it’s also praised for its gorgeous location and even the honeymoon crowd seems to approve.
- Hotel website: Hotel Palafitte
- Other accolades: Hotel Palafitte also features in my top 10 list of the most beautiful overwater bungalows in the world (outside the Maldives and French Polynesia).
The future of travel has arrived at the foot of the Flüela Pass in the Swiss Alps, and it is the InterContinental Davos. This glimmering steel orb, set high above Lake Davos, resembles a golden spruce cone, and the inventive gastronomy served at three distinctive restaurants is out of this world. Parquet flooring and plush accents adorn the 216 individually appointed rooms and suites, from where you can absorb the Alpine splendor from your private balcony. After a day on the slopes, you can soothe your tired muscles at the highly rated spa, which features a heated indoor/outdoor pool. The Kids and Teens Club engages tots to teens, as do blockbuster films in the cozy cinema.
- Hotel website: InterContinental Davos
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast for two, early check-in, late check-out, complimentary access to Club Lounge, and $100 USD hotel credit).
- Other accolades: Alpina Gstaad also features in my top 10 list of the best ski hotels in Europe.
An icon in the exclusive, discrete and cosmopolitan Swiss resort of Gstaad, The Alpina Gstaad five-star superior hotel has single-handedly redefined luxury and Alpine chic. This is no ordinary hotel, it is a unique establishment where authenticity combines with Swiss refinement to create an Alpine experience like no other. Each of the 56 rooms and suites uniquely embody Swiss authenticity and sophistication. The expertise of artisans from the region has created inspiring spaces, where original and contemporary local materials are subtly united with genuine period woodwork. Housed right at the heart of The Alpina Gstaad, the Six Senses Spa is a true sanctuary of peace and well-being
- Hotel website: Alpina Gstaad
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast for two, early check-in, late check-out, and 100 CHF spa credit).
- Other accolades: Alpina Gstaad also features in my top 10 list of the best ski hotels in Europe.
Nestled in the hills of Lugano Paradiso with terraces overlooking the Lake of Lugano, The View Lugano Hotel resembles a giant yacht. Thanks to the design of its interiors and the sensation one gets when looking out from the suites and the other areas of the hotel, one feels as though one is setting sail on a luxury cruise across the lake. The hotel offers breathtaking views overlooking the while guests can enjoy the Mediterranean climate and five-star service. The exclusive journey is one of complete happiness and satisfaction, thanks to the excellent gastronomic options at the restaurant, the state of the art spa (with large indoor pool), and the wonderful view of the lake and the Swiss Alps beyond. Guests may also request butler service to ensure a perfect stay.
- Hotel website: The View Lugano
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking The View Lugano via Classic Travel (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, a glass of Pommery Champagne upon arrival, and $100 USD spa credit).
Behind the Park Hotel Vitznau’s hundred year old walls lies a wonderfully inviting interior. The extensive renovation work at the property has fully embraced the notion of ‘maintain the past, create the future’. State of the art technology has been integrated into the elegant and luxurious décor of this magnificent historical building, and nostalgic charm at its most beautiful has been combined with the highest level of comfort, fulfilling a visionary concept. This sparkling jewel is characterized by three main themes: wine & dine; art & culture; and health & wealth. The different areas of the hotel, as well as the 47 residences, suites and junior suites have been individually furnished with great attention to detail and with modern comfort.
- Hotel website: Park Hotel Vitznau
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking Park Hotel Vitznau via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD resort credit).
The Chedi Andermatt Hotel offers an extraordinary blend of Swiss Alpine chic and Asian Zen in the Alpine landscape of the Urseren Valley, known far beyond Switzerland for its towering peaks, deep canyons, cascading waterfalls and pristine mountain lakes. The hotel is captivating and striking in its otherness. Glossy Alpine wood, leather sofas, more than 200 fireplaces and numerous panorama windows offer a warm and cozy spot to linger awhile. Located 1,447 meters (4747 feet) above sea level, The Chedi Andermatt enchants guests with its 123 elegant rooms and suites, award-winning restaurants and bars and a Spa that is unique in Switzerland – an oasis of calm and relaxation.
- Hotel website: The Chedi Andermatt
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking The Chedi Andermatt via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, authentic Swiss chocolate platter served with a bottle of Champagne, and $100 USD spa credit)
- Other accolades: The Chedi Andermatt also features in my top 10 lists of the best ski hotels in Europe, the best hotel spas in the world, and the world’s best indoor pools.
- Review: read my review of The Chedi Andermatt here.
Perched above Zürich, this fairy tale-like castle building first served as a “Curhaus” (a health spa), during the late-19th century. Today, it honors this history with a state-of-the-art spa, which is housed in one of the new wings designed by Lord Norman Foster. The 175 rooms and suites are scattered throughout the property, and all are timelessly decorated with stylish furnishings. The spa comprises eighteen treatment rooms, separate areas for ladies and gentlemen, an aqua zone with views of the natural surroundings and a medical wellness center. The acclaimed “The Restaurant”, headed by innovative chef Heiko Nieder, has two Michelin stars. Most striking is the hotel’s art collection with more than 100 artworks including pieces by Andy Warhol, Henry Moore and Salvador Dalí.
- Hotel website: The Dolder Grand
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking The Dolder Grand via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD spa credit)
- Review: read my review of The Dolder Grand here.
Located 550 meters (1800 feet) high above Lake Lucerne, the integrated Buergenstock resort is a masterpiece of modern architecture on the cliff of the Buergenberg, offering four hotels, eight restaurants and a serene spa, making this an Eldorado for food lovers, wellness seekers and outdoor enthusiasts alike. The best hotel in Switzerland has been a legend since 1873, due to its link with the rich and famous: it was here that, Audrey Hepburn was married, Charlie Chaplin regularly stayed, and Sophia Loren and Carlo Ponti made their home. Newly built and opened in 2017, the ultra-luxe Buergenstock Hotel & Alpine Spa sits at the heart of the resort, offering and innovative design with floor-to-ceiling windows that reveal stunning Lake Lucerne and Alps panoramas.
- Hotel website: The Buergenstock Hotel & Alpine Spa
- Tip: get complimentary VIP perks when booking The Buergenstock Hotel & Alpine Spa via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD resort credit)
- Review: coming soon