Today (December 11, 2017): Top 10 most luxurious resorts in the Maldives.
Widely considered the planet’s most exclusive holiday destination, the Maldives embody the ultimate tropical paradise getaway for honeymooners, sun worshipers, discerning travelers, scuba divers and celebrities. The Maldives are a collection of more than thousand small coral atolls, located on the equator towards the south of India and stretching across 800 km (500 mi) of the Indian Ocean on a north-south axis. The stunningly beautiful islands are the visible coral tips of an oceanic volcanic mountain range whose outer edges at some points plunge to depths of over 3 km (10,000 ft). The archipelago is blessed with some of the world’s most astonishing beaches, crystal clear turquoise lagoons, phenomenal underwater wildlife, and unrivalled luxury resorts that take up their own private islands.
The following list is my pick of the 10 best luxury resorts in the Maldives. These resorts definitely come at a price (some at more than $5000 USD per night), so make sure you read my tips for getting the best deal at a luxury hotel. I must warn you though: once you have experienced the otherworldly luxury of a Maldivian resort, any other holiday experience will pale in comparison. And I have some great news for you, as I can offer you a complimentary room upgrade at two of the Maldives’ most exclusive resorts! Read more here.
There is more information (with trip reports & Youtube clips) below the slideshow. Think I missed one? Share your favorite Maldivian hotel in the comments section, or take my poll below!
*** Get the most out of your (luxury) trip to the Maldives with my online Maldives travel guide ***
Situated on a private island 400 km (250 mi) south of Malé and 55 km (35 mi) north of the Equator in one of the world’s deepest atolls, Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa – Hyatt’s only five star luxury hotel in the Maldives – blesses its guests with a barefoot luxury resort experience. The sleek interiors of the 50 villas are luxuriously designed and furnished to ensure guest comfort and privacy, whilst maintaining environmental sensitivity. The accommodations are nestled within the island’s tropical foliage, mere steps away from the turquoise waters, or perched over the water with sweeping ocean vistas. All villas have direct access to the beach or ocean and feature floor-to-ceiling windows with doors that lead out to a private deck, some fitted with a personal plunge pool. The resort is framed by a mesmerizing and vast coral reef with diverse marine life, more abundant and varied than anywhere else in the Maldives.
- Hotel website: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa
- Other accolades: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa also features in my top 10 lists of the best luxury hotels for amazing award redemptions, the world’s most remote luxury hotels. the best resorts in the Maldives for snorkeling, and the most fabulous overwater villas in the Maldives.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD spa credit).
- Review: read my review of Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa here.
Four Seasons Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru is a remote island hideway in the secluded Baa Atoll UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve, a scenic seaplane ride from Male. Combining innovation, wellness and conservation, the resort comprises 103 thatched bungalows and villas of contemporary Maldivian design spread across the island’s remote jungle wilderness. A vacation here can be combined with a stay at its sister property, Kuda Huraa, which is a lushly tropical private island close to Male airport, renowned for its exceptional surf and easy charm. Both are linked by the luxury catamaran Four Seasons Explorer, which cruises between the two resorts stopping at exceptional dive sites, tiny uninhabited beaches and remote island communities along the way. Recently, Four Seasons also opened an ultraluxe private island, called Four Seasons Private Island Maldives at Voavah, a secluded haven that transcends the private island experience for a maximum of 22 guests.
- Hotel website: Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru
- Other accolades: The Four Seasons resorts in the Maldives also feature in my top 10 list of the best Four Seasons hotels & resorts in the world.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, $100 USD spa credit, welcome amenity in room on arrival, and departure gift).
COMO Maalifushi is the only luxury resort located in the Maldives’ pristine Thaa Atoll, nestled in the archipelago’s untouched southern corner. A sister property of the much-admired Cocoa Island, COMO Maalifushi offers excellent surfing and diving with seasonal whale shark and manta sightings. Designed by Japanese architect Koichiro Ikebuchi, the intimate property not only reflects his sensitive approach to nature and cultural authenticity but also embodies the spirit of the Indian Ocean and the understated chic of the COMO brand. The resort’s 33 overwater and garden villas feature a refined decor, with oak floors, decorative swathes of netting around the beds and plunge pools with thatched salas. The famous COMO health approach is available here, with delicous spa cuisine from the COMO Shambhala Retreat, which also offers Asian-based therapies, exercise and yoga with a results-driven agenda.
- Hotel website: COMO Maalifushi
- Other accolades: COMO Maalifushi also features in my lists of the best new hotels of 2014, the most fabulous overwater villas in the Maldives, and the most amazing beach resorts in the world.
- Review: read my review of COMO Maalifushi here.
Six Senses Laamu is the only resort in the Laamu Atoll, deep in the Indian Ocean. Just an inter-island plane trip from Malé International Airport and a short boat ride brings you to a palm-fringed paradise island with 97 stylishly sustainable Maldivian villas set over the turquoise waters and in the lush tropical vegetation facing the lagoon. Yin Yang, the Maldives’ most famous surfing wave, breaks just offshore. There are nearby beginner’s waves and phenomenal snorkeling is available in the house reef where it is very common to see oriental sweetlips, parrotfish and even green turtles as you make you way along it. Dolphin sightings are very common. The resort’s chefs prepare dishes created from produce grown in the island’s organic gardens, enhanced by tropical vistas. The Six Senses Spa’s highly skilled therapists and visiting practitioners provide a comprehensive range of award-winning signature treatments, rejuvenation and wellness specialties.
- Hotel website: Six Senses Laamu
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, $100 USD food & beverage credit, and $100 USD spa credit).
- Other accolades: Six Senses Laamu also features in my top 10 list of the best resorts in the Maldives for snorkeling.
Located in the gorgeous Noonu Atoll, 187 km (110 mi) north of Male, Velaa Private Island is the realization of a dream to create a ‘beyond luxury’ exclusive hideaway where guests are treated like royalty. Its name derived from the generations of sea turtles that flock there to nest and hatch, this unique destination was developed to embody the very best of this unique archipelago, bathed by azure skies in the aquamarine waters of the Indian Ocean. The resort comprises 45 private villas, houses and exclusive residences – sleeping from 1 to 10 guests – and also includes a so-called Romantic Pool Residence which can only be reached by boat, allowing even more exclusivity. Each villa comes with a personal butler, all services offered can be tailored to personal specifications, and attention to detail everywhere is impeccable: stone pavements from the desert in Jordan, Indonesian flowerpots, luxury wood panelling from Borneo, and glimmering Italian marble.
- Hotel website: Velaa Private Island
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, $100 USD resort credit, early check-in, and late check-out).
- Other accolades: Velaa Private Island also features in my lists of the best new luxury hotels of 2013, the most fabulous overwater villas in the Maldives, and the most expensive hotels in the world.
The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort brings the iconic St Regis brand and its legendary butler services to one of the world’s most magnificent destinations. Located in the Dhaalu Atoll – a 40-minute seaplane ride southwest from Male airport – the St Regis hotel is surrounded by dreamy landscapes, thick tropical vegetation, a fine white-sand beach, a pristine lagoon, and the glistening turquoise Indian Ocean. Combining contemporary design and local craftsmanship, with a profound appreciation for the ecological environment, the resort’s 77 luxuriously appointed villas feature expansive private terraces leading to pristine beaches and infinity pools with the Indian Ocean as a tranquil backdrop. The resort also boasts the largest 3-bedroom over-water villa in the Maldives, the John Jacob Astor Estate. Guests can savor epicurean delights from all over the world in the six restaurants and bars and restore their well-being at the over-water Iridium Spa.
- Hotel website: The St Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort
- Other accolades: The St Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort also features in my lists of the best overwater villas in the Maldives and the best new luxury hotels of 2016.
- Review: read my review of the St Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort here.
The ultraluxe Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy resort calls the Noonu Atoll its home, which includes a handful of unspoiled green islands protected from the ocean by a large coral reef which houses a dazzling sampling of multicolour fish, rays and sea turtles. Getting there involves a trip onboard a Twin Otter of Havilland seaplane that has been exclusively designed for the Maison, combining the brand’s signature taupe with Randheli’s solar yellow. The famous resort offers 46 island, water and garden villas in neutral colors and tones that complement the open design of the space. The accommodations feel like elegant cathedral-style lofts, each featuring a variety of contemporary design elements, high doors and ceilings, outdoor areas for relaxation, stunning private swimming pool and lagoon-side pontoons. Cheval Blanc Randheli was the playground of Kate and William during their Maldivian getaway a few years ago.
- Hotel website: Cheval Blanc Randheli
- Other accolades: Cheval Blanc Randheli also features in my lists of the best new luxury hotels of 2013, the best overwater villas in the Maldives, and the world’s most over-the-top hotel experiences.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $150 USD food & beverage credit).
This chic resort offered a level of style and sophistication unsurpassed in the world when it opened in 2005 and still delivers as the Grand Dame of the Maldivian archipelago. Set on a partly man-made, octopus-shaped island in the North Male Atoll, the resort is blessed with an extraordinary 6 km (3,7 mi) of coastline, dotted with white sand coves and turquoise bays. All 130 spacious villas are discreetly placed amidst beautiful landscaping, each occupying its own secluded piece of sandy shore or private deck over the lagoon’s crystal clear waters. Food is innovative and of the finest ingredients, prepared in an inspiring variety of ways, and staff are always receptive to the personal requirements of each and every guest. Set apart from the rest of the resort, the spa is located within tranquil gardens and manicured lawns. One&Only Reethi Rah is a favorite among royals and A-list Hollywood celebrities.
- Hotel website: One&Only Reethi Rah
- Other accolades: One&Only Reethi Rah also features in my top 10 lists of the world’s best hotel spas, the most astonishing beach retreats in Asia, the most fabulous overwater villas in the Maldives, the best luxury hotels in the Maldives that can be reached without a seaplane, and luxury hotels loved by celebrities.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. villa upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, exclusively designed Reethi Rah Kaftans, a complimentary ‘Secrets of the Thila’ excursion or a complimentary dinner for two in the Reethi Restaurant excluding beverages).
- Review: read my review of One&Only Reethi Rah here.
Soneva Fushi, the first ‘Robinson Crusoe’ style hideaway in the Maldives, is set on the privately owned tropical island of Kunfunadhoo in Baa Atoll, a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve. The island – which is 1,400 m (4,600 ft) long and 400 m (1300 ft) wide – ranks among the largest islands in the Maldives. Apart from the crystal clear waters, white beaches and tropical climate, the island’s unusually rich vegetation offers a unique natural experience. Massive, multi-bedroom, fairytale-like luxury villas and private residences are hidden among dense tropical foliage. In keeping with the castaway theme, many are built to resemble tree houses. All open to their own private stretch of sugar white sands, and most boast their own private seawater swimming pools. Intuitive service is provided by Mr/Ms Friday butlers who know what you want before you want it. A stroll on the island’s spotless beaches invariably summons up Robinson Crusoe stories.
Contact me to receive a complimentary room upgrade at Soneva Fushi at the time of booking.
- Hotel website: Soneva Fushi
- Other accolades: Soneva Fushi also features in my top 10 lists of the best family hotels in the world, the most astonishing beach retreats in Asia, the best resorts in the Maldives for snorkeling, and the world’s most insanely beautiful hotel beaches.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. villa upgrade, breakfast, early check-in , late check-out, welcome Champagne with Maldivian tapas on arrival, one lunch for two, original handcrafted arrival and departure mementos, shoreline beach dinner, private sunset sailing by Dhoni at Baa Atoll, and a cooking class for two).
- Review: read my review of Soneva Fushi here.
Located on an uninhabited five-island cluster in the Noonu Atoll, the Maldives’ most exclusive and game-changing hotel is fringed by pristine beaches, blanketed with lush tropical greenery, and surrounded by a 5.6 km (3,4 mi) lagoon of crystal clear waters with uninterrupted Indian Ocean views. Each one of the 24 water villas has a private lap pool and opens to its own stretch of lagoon, with some villas featuring slides going directly from the top deck into the lagoon below. The highlight of the villas is the retractable roof in the master bedroom, which slides back at the touch of a button so that guests can lie in bed and stargaze. The culinary experiences at Soneva Jani are as diverse as they are memorable: in addition to the delightful dining venues, you can indulge in culinary adventures such as private dining around the lagoon, a Robinson Crusoe-style castaway picnic, organic garden lunches and cooking classes. The resort’s selection of experiences caters to every kind of traveler and includes everything from nature walks and spa treatments to lazy picnics and beyond.
Contact me to receive a complimentary room upgrade at Soneva Jani at the time of booking.
- Hotel website: Soneva Jani
- Other accolades: Soneva Jani also features in my lists of the most fabulous overwater villas in the Maldives, the best new luxury hotels of 2016, the most astonishing beach retreats in Asia, and my favorite hotels in the world.
- Review: read my review of Sonev Jani here.