Today (October 15, 2014): Review of The Fairmont Pacific Rim (Vancouver, Canada).
- Location: Google Maps
- Address: 1038 Canada Pl, Vancouver, BC V6C 0B9, Canada
- Hotel website: Fairmont Pacific Rim
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso
Sitting at the ocean’s edge in vibrant Vancouver, British Columbia, the exquisite Fairmont Pacific Rim offers unparalleled luxury in the heart of one of the world’s most beautiful cities. Naturally inspired to create a sophisticated and contemporary atmosphere, the new flagship hotel of the Fairmont Hotel Group features the best of the Pacific Rim in its plan, décor, and culinary offerings.
In this review (more info and photos below the slideshow):
- Pros & things I like
- Cons & things to know
- My verdict
- Tips for future guests & save money
- Best time to visit
- How to get there
PROS & THINGS I LIKE
- This Vancouver luxury hotel has an excellent location as it places you at the center of Canada’s West Coast metropolis. Conveniently situated on the water, close to the downtown financial district and Coal Harbour, it is in a vibrant new waterfront area across the street from the cruise ship terminal, and close to shopping and restaurants. An underground walkway connects the hotel to the newly expanded Vancouver Convention Centre.
- Vancouver is a gorgeous city and the hotel couldn’t be placed in a better location to exploit the views: the majority of the 377 guest rooms offer stunning views of snow-capped mountains and the lush greenery of Stanley Park. Rooms are exquisitely appointed, featuring luxury linens, Stearns & Foster beds, a media connectivity panel, wall-mounted 42″ LCD televisions with surround-sound, and iPad2 devices with Interactive Customer Experience technology. The spacious spa-like marble bathrooms have television-mirrors, sumptuous soaker tubs and oversized Mascioni bath towels.
- Wireless internet access is offered in all guestrooms, a feature that is complimentary for Fairmont President’s Club members (subscription to Fairmont’s loyalty program is free, so be sure to do that when you stay here, so you can have access to free WiFi).
- Another reason to subscribe to the Fairmont President’s Club is to be able to enjoy the complimentary downtown luxury BMW hotel car service (offered exclusively to Fairmont President’s Club Members). This service is available on a first-come, first-serve basis to ensure a seamless transportation throughout your stay.
- One of the fantastic features of this amazing hotel is the (small) rooftop pool, complete with jacuzzi, palm trees, private cabanas and fire pits. When it’s a beautiful day in Vancouver, there is no better place to be than here.
- The 11,000 square foot Willow Stream Spa is perfect to relax after a day of sightseeing or business meetings. It includes 9 treatment rooms and a gorgeous 2,500 square foot outdoor patio with water features.
- Food is excellent. There are a couple of options for breakfast – a ‘traditional’ restaurant with an excellent buffet and a more cafe-style outlet with its own street entrance serving bakery style items and awesome coffee. The hotel also has 3 excellent dining options, from upscale to casual outdoor fare, plus 24 hour in room dining service.
- The hotel’s top room, the Owner’s Suite also nicknamed the “Rock Star Suite”, is Vancouver’s ultimate luxurious “rich and famous” accommodation. This one-of-a-kind two-story masterpiece, inspired by a Balinese Villa, offers a spacious and open floorplan, complete with over 2,250 square feet of pure luxury. The suite includes a custom 8’-long Swarovski crystal chandelier that cascades over the two-story salon, a master bedroom, two stunning living room areas, a kitchen and butler’s pantry. The exclusive outdoor rooftop patio with expansive views of Coal Harbour and the North Shore Mountains includes a private gazebo with a meditation pond and fire pit, along with a private rooftop tented terrace.
CONS & THINGS TO KNOW
This is currently Vancouver’s best luxury hotel, and not just because of its unbeatable location. As one can expect from Fairmont’s flagship property, it’s hard to find any faults with this hotel at all, although you may want to know the following:
- The lobby is popular with music in the evening and has an open bar area. It is very loud and busy – which can be fun but it also means there aren’t any places to have a conversation easily.
- It’s a very busy property hosting convention goers and cruise liners, so the sheer volume of guests can creat small service issues from time to time.
- Location: 9/10
- Design: 9/10
- Rooms: 9/10
- Food: 8/10
- Service: 8/10
- Overall experience: excellent: 8,6/10
TIPS FOR FUTURE GUESTS AND SAVE MONEY
- Save money: read my tips for getting the cheapest room rate at a luxury hotel like the Fairmont Pacific Rim (and/or receive many free perks).
- Save money: I recommend to book a stay at the Fairmont Pacific Rim via a Virtuoso travel agent, which has the benefit of complimentary VIP perks (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast breakfast, $100 USD spa or food credit, early check in and late check out).
- Save money: book your room making use of a Best Rate Guarantee.
- Be sure to subscribe to Fairmont President’s Club before check-in. It’s free, and you will benefit from complimentary WiFi and downtown limousine service.
- My favorite room categories are the Deluxe Pool View Room and Pool View Suites, which both feature exclusive private patios or balconies with outdoor fireplaces, overlooking the hotel’s signature pool terrace, cabanas and palm trees.
- If you want to be looked after exceptionally well, then book a room at the 21st or 22nd floor. These rooms come with Fairmont Gold service, offering guests a “hotel within a hotel,” featuring private check-in, concierge services, and complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea, and canapés during cocktail hour in the private lounge.
- Read my tips for preparing your trip in time.
BEST TIME TO VISIT
Vancouver is notorious for its abundance of rainfall in autumn, winter and spring, so try to visit between June and September for the most reliable and driest weather.
HOW TO GET THERE
Vancouver International Airport is located 12 km (7.5 mi) from Downtown Vancouver and it served by many full-service carriers (click here for a direct link to their websites). Check the Wikipedia page of Vancouver International Airport for an updated list of airlines that have direct flights to Canada’s most beautiful city.