Monday newsletters always feature top 10 travel lists to inspire.
Today (July 7, 2014): top 10 most luxurious resorts in Mauritius.
The idyllic island of Mauritius with its unspoilt beaches and azure waters offers a unique experience of European, African and Asian cultures. It is one of the top three island destinations in the warm Indian Ocean (the other two being the Maldives and the Seychelles). But while Mauritius is undeniably scenic, its beaches are not as stunning as those of the Seychelles and the Maldives. The latter islands have the most beautiful beaches of the world and are covered by lush vegetation, while the beaches of Mauritius are gorgeous but not exceptionally beautiful and the island’s vegetation is rather sparse. Nevertheless, Mauritius boasts some of the most luxurious resorts in the world, being on pair with those on the Maldives and better than those in the Seychelles. I hereby present you a list of my favorite 10 resorts in this paradise island.
There is more information below the slideshow. Think I missed one? Share your favorite Mauritius hotel in the comments section, or take my poll below!
Nestled at the foot of the majestic Le Morne mountain in the South West corner of Mauritius, and sheltered from trade winds by the rugged Le Morne Brabant peak (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), LUX* Le Morne boasts splendid white sandy beaches that unravel as far as the eye can see and are the ideal decor for romantic sunset walks. This five-star resort has 149 rooms & suits, yet offers the tranquil charm of a boutique hotel. Set in delightfully landscaped gardens, the hotel’s four pools, spa and restaurants that pair island-inspired dishes with New World wines add to this beach hotel’s out of this world experience.
- Hotel website: LUX* Le Morne
Constance Belle Mare Plage is located along one of the best beaches in the east of Mauritius. You can stroll down the endless white sand beach, play golf on two championship golf courses, snorkel in the Indian Ocean, or pamper yourself at the resort’s Shiseido Spa. There are 7 restaurants to choose from, offering everything from elegant fine dining experiences to burgers and salads on the beach. Seize the opportunity to try new things whether it’s diving for the first time, water skiing, kite surfing or just picking up some gastronomic tips from the world-class chefs in one of the cookery classes.
- Hotel website: Constance Belle Mare Plage
The mythical Mauritian luxury hotel Le Touessrok lies on a beautiful stretch of sandy coast, looking out over tranquil Trou d’Eau Douce Bay. Out in the lagoon are two beautiful islands: little paradise island Ilot Mangénie, exclusive for Le Touessrok’s guests; and Ile aux Cerfs with its spectacular Bernhard Langer designed 18-hole championship golf course. This is 5-star luxury at its best, with a fabulous range of facilities, including an extensive range of water sports and land-based activities, 7 restaurants, a renowned Givenchy spa and personal butler service.
- Hotel website: Shangri-La Le Touessrok
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and a complimentary 50 minute massage).
One&Only Le Saint Géran is north facing and basks on the golden peninsula of Belle Mare on the island´s northeast coast, surrounded by 60 acres of tropical gardens and thousands of swaying coconut trees. Terraced and balconied rooms all face out privately to the Indian Ocean. With immaculate health and beauty treatments, here is a place that always fulfils the promise of its timeless reputation, although the communal areas and room could use a refurbishment. This hideaway is also a wonderland for all manner of water sports with beaches, coves and reefs famed for kiteboarding, water-skiing and scuba diving.
- Hotel website: One&Only Le Saint Geran
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, welcome Mauritian rum set up in the suite, and a 4 course menu offered in the gastronomic Indian restaurant).
Sheltered on the northwestern coast amidst lush gardens, this property is laid out so that all the suites face the lagoon, where guests can enjoy complimentary water sports. Its pristine stretch of beach is as sparkling white as the uniforms of staff who know guests by name. A proud member of “The Leading Hotels of the World“, it symbolizes the harmony between luxury and refinement. While the resort’s acclaimed spa, amenities and activities are decidedly 21st-century, the views of the crystalline sea and the palm-lined coast could be plucked straight out of Bernadin de Saint-Pierre’s 18th-century novel, Paul et Virginie, set on the island.
- Hotel website: Royal Palm Hotel
Constance Le Prince Maurice enjoys an idyllic location on the north-east coast of Mauritius. Set amidst 60 hectares of unspoiled terrain, it is sheltered from the prevailing winds and provides maximum privacy for its guests. Its tropical gardens consist of rare and luxuriant vegetation, and the calm turquoise lagoon blends perfectly with the lush, green landscape and the secluded beaches of brilliant white sand. A natural fish reserve situated in the western part of the hotel adds to the uniqueness and natural beauty of the location. The resort belongs to The Leading Hotels of the World‘s portfolio.
- Hotel website: Constance Le Prince Maurice
- Other top 10 accolades: Constance Le Prince Maurice also features in my top 10 list of the most beautiful overwater bungalows in the world.
Nestling between sugarcane fields and the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean, Shanti Maurice satisfies all the senses. With exotic gardens, pristine white sands, a sublime spa, spacious accommodation and restaurants brimming with fresh ideas, you’ll find a place, and people, devoted to pleasure. 61 rooms, suites, and villas range from the Junior Ocean View Suites to the massive Presidential Villa (also fit for kings, queens, sultans, etc.). Interiors are filled with natural elements including local hardwoods, granite, marble, and slate.
- Hotel website: Shanti Maurice
Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita welcomes guests to a luxurious tropical sanctuary, where greetings of warm smiles and gentle lagoon breezes fill each day. Whether you’re playing a complimentary round on the thrilling oceanfront finish of the resort’s Ernie Els-designed golf course or splashing with the family by the lagoon, the stylish open-air luxury resort invites relaxation, romance and endless possibilities for adventure amid the dramatic landscape and the vibrant colours of Mauritius. Its 136 villas and residence villas are generous in size and designed to interact with the outdoors.
- Hotel website: Four Seasons Resort at Anahita
- Review: to read my review of the Four Seasons Resort Mauritius, click here.
The Oberoi captures the spirit of Mauritius in a resort that combines its abundant natural beauty with refined luxury. The resort is located in 20 acres of beautiful sub-tropical gardens with a 600 meter oceanfront. Villas with private swimming pools and luxury pavilions offer panoramic views of the ocean. Marble bathrooms with sunken tubs overlook private walled gardens. The resort offers a range of water sports and recreation like wind surfing, water skiing, diving and sailing. Two open-sided thatch restaurants prepare the best in Asian and continental cuisine.
- Hotel website: Oberoi Mauritius
- Other accolades: The Oberoi Mauritius also features in my top 10 lists of the most astonishing beach retreats in Africa.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and one complimentary dinner for 2).
The St Regis Mauritius is a tremendously impressive, 5-star luxury resort with 172 lavishly appointed guest rooms and suites that all offer breathtaking views over the Indian Ocean waters. It is the first property of the legendary St Regis brand in the Indian Ocean, and is located in the southwestern side of the island of Mauritius. The beach (the finest on the island), its turquoise lagoon (with gorgeous sunset views) and the backdrop of Le Morne mountain create a magical setting, where lavishly appointed accommodations and pampering converge amid the many charms of Mauritius.
- Hotel website: St Regis Mauritius
- Other accolades: The St Regis Mauritius also features in my top 10 lists of the most astonishing beach retreats in Africa, the world’s best hotel spa facilities, and the world’s best luxury hotels for amazing hotel redemptions.
- Tip: enjoy free VIP amenities when booking via Virtuoso (e.g. room upgrade, daily breakfast, 85 EUR food & beverage credit, daily buffet dinner for two guests in Le Manoir Dining Room or three-course a la carte dinner for two guests in either Floating Market or The Boathouse Bar & Grill, a 25% discount at Atsuko, early check in and late check out).
- Review: to read my review of The St Regis Mauritius, click here.