Today (June 27, 2014): luxury travel news + comptitions (win free holidays!).
1. Latest news from the luxury travel industry around the world
- As only the 12th Andaz property in the world, Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills opened its doors 2 weeks ago with inspiring, indigenous and unscripted atmosphere. It is one of the most anticipated hotel openings of 2014. Reflecting Tokyo’s contemporary urban culture, guests can expect dazzling experience at this hotel. Located in the 52-story business complex Toranomon Hills in the heart of Tokyo, Andaz Tokyo houses 164 guestrooms, including the largest guestroom in Tokyo (538 square feet) with a magnificent city view. Abundant natural materials are largely used for décor, reflecting the traditional Japanese nature-oriented architectural style. The hotel is located in the Toranomon area, home to many embassies and global company offices, and very accessible to government and financial districts.
Hong Kong-grade luxury moves into the City of Light with the Peninsula’s Avenue Kléber Parisannouncing its official opening on August 1st (only two years behind schedule). It will be the first European property of the hotel brand, which is widely acclaimed as one of the most exclusive in the world. Situated in a beautiful, century-old Beaux-Arts gem, just off the Champs-Elysées, the hotel will have 200 guest rooms when it opens in late summer 2014. All rooms will showcase high-tech amenities such as bedside tablets that control the lights and temperature as well as allow guests to stream TV channels from around the world. The hotel will have five dining outlets, including The Lobby, a Chinese restaurant and a rooftop eatery serving modern French cuisine.
- The chief executives of the Star Alliance network have unanimously approved the membership of Air India, clearing the way for the national carrier to become the first Indian airline to join a global airline alliance. The integration teams at Air India, Star Alliance and its member carriers will now complete the last necessary work in order to ensure that Air India can offer all Star Alliance customer benefits from July 11th, 2014 onwards. Air India will add a total of 400 daily flights and 35 new destinations in India to the Alliance network. The biggest growth will come from its home market which is currently being served by 13 Star Alliance members flying to ten destinations and holding a 13 per cent market share. Globally, passengers will further benefit from a wider choice on routes connecting North America, Europe, Asia and Australia via the Indian Subcontinent. In total the Star Alliance network will grow to 27 member airlines, offering more than 18,500 daily flights serving 1,316 destinations in 192 countries.
Qatar Airways launched a new non-stop service from Doha to Miami. The service operates four times a week, using Boeing 777-200 aircraft. Flights depart Doha International Airport at 8:40 a.m. on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturday, and Sundays, and arrive at Miami International Airport at 5:20 p.m. Flights from Miami depart at 9:15 p.m., also on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays, and arrive in Doha at 6:20 p.m. the next day. Qatar’s Boeing 777-200 aircraft are configured with two classes of service, with 42 seats in business class and 217 seats in economy class. Business-class seats are 22” wide, and have a pitch of 78”. The new route offers the only non-stop service between Miami and the Middle East. The Florida city is Qatar Airways’ sixth U.S. destination, and its ninth in the Americas. Click here to read our review of business class in a Qatar Airways 777.
2. Our pick of the best luxury travel competitions on the internet
These competitions are weekly updated on the website as well.
- Get one chance in May and in June to win a Qatar Airways pajama by subscribing to our 3-weekly newsletter. Click here for more info on how to follow us by email.
- For USA residents only: win a trip to Bora Bora for two from Pearl Vodka. The grand prize trip includes airfare, ground transportation, five nights in an overwater bungalow at Bora Bora Pearl Beach and Spa, one private beach dinner, one all day lagoon tour, daily dinner and breakfast, spa treatments and $1,000 cash. Click here to enter the Facebook competition. Competition closing date: 1 September 2014.
- For USA & Canada residents only: win a trip to Wyoming with 4 stops in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park. The grand prize trip includes round-trip air transportation, car rental, four nights accommodations, and activities like fishing and horseback riding. Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 31 August 2014.
- For USA residents only: LATAM Airlines Group (comprised of LAN and TAM Airlines), is making dreams come true with their Countdown to Rio Sweeptakes, in which they’re giving awaytwo tickets to Rio De Janeiro aboard TAM Airlines (departing from JFK or MIA). Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 13 July 2014.
- For USA residents only: win 2 tickets from Los Angeles to London with Air New Zealand. Click here to enter the Facebook competition. Competition closing date: 30 June 2014.
- For USA residenst only: Win an all-inclusive trip for two to Jamaica from USA Today. The prize includes seven nights at the all-inclusive RIU Palace in Montego Bay, food and beverages, non motorized sports, and round trip airfare. Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 7 July 2014.
- For USA residents only: Win a 6 night Kenya safari. Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 10 July 2014.
- For USA resident only: Win a golf-inclusive trip for two in the Dominican Republic from Brut. The Grand Prize of a 6-day stay for two in Elite accommodations at the iconic Casa de Campo Resort also includes fine dining, exclusive beaches, golf on Pete Dye designed courses, skeet shooting and more! Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 13 July 2014.
- For UK residents only: win a free family holiday to Florida, worth £8000. The prize, for two adults and two children, includes tickets to SeaWorld, the world’s most popular marine-life park; Busch Gardens, which is full of wild animals and even wilder rides; Discovery Cove, the only place in Orlando where you can swim with a dolphin; and Aquatica, SeaWorld’s waterpark. The prize also includes return flights, 14 nights’ accommodation and car hire during your stay. Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 30 June 2014.
- For UK, Germany and Austria members only: each week until 5th July (five weeks in all) one person will win 1 million IHG Rewards Club points, equalling 20 free nights at Intercontinental’s most luxurious hotels. Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 3 July 2014.
- Win a 7-night stay at the five-star Grand Hotel Parker’s Napoli, Italy, courtesy of Luxury Link and Grand Hotel Parker’s Napoli. The prize includes accommodation in a deluxe room on a bed-and-breakfast basis, a spa treatment for each person, return flights (from UK) to Naples with Monarch Airlines, and transfers in Italy. Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 30 June 2014.
- Win a 5-night break for two at the palatial Jumeirah Zabeel Saray in Dubai, staying in a Deluxe King Sea View Room, including breakfast, flights with Virgin Atlantic from Heathrow, transfers, and a massage for both guests. Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 30 June 2014.
- The Fullerton Hotel Singapore is offering two prizes of a three-night stay in a Quay Room inclusive of an American buffet breakfast for two persons. Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 30 June 2014.
- Win 200,000 Flying Blue miles and one year of Platinum Status with Air France and KLM (and there will be 3 winners). Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 9 July 2014.
- Win four nights and dinner for four people at the RedDoor hotel in Bali, Indonesia, with Conde Nast Johansens. Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 27 June 2014.
- For USA residents only: Johny Jet is giving away 120,000 HawaiianMiles (enough for two roundtrip tickets between Hawaii and any one of their North American gateway cities) and a two-night stay at The Modern for two. (with welcome amenity and $150 dining credit). Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 1 July 2014.
- For USA residents only: win one million airline miles for joining Points.com. You can only enter if you are not already a registered user of Points.com. Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 13 July 2013.
- For USA residents only: win a trip to the Grand Canyon or a Caribbean Cruise, courtesy of Arnicare. Click here to enter the competition. In addition, all sweepstakes participants will receive one $2 OFF Arnicare Gel or Cream coupon. Competition closing date: 31 July 2014.
- For USA residents only: win a stay at the soon to be opened The Peninsula Paris. The prize consists of roundtrip, economy air travel from an international airport near winner’s home (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion) to Paris; four days and three nights stay in a Superior Suite in the Paris Hotel; continental breakfast each day of stay (excludes alcohol); ground transportation between the Paris airport and the Paris Hotel. Click here for more info on the competition. Competition closing date: 31 July 2014.
- Southern Destinations gives you a chance to win an unforgettable &Beyond Botswana Explorer Expedition valued at a totally wild US$16 000! If you’re the lucky pair, you’ll be taken on an exclusive 10-day guided luxury camping safari through Botswana’s most thrilling wildlife areas including the Okavango Delta, Savute and the Chobe National Park. End your journey at the Victoria Falls. Dine like royalty under the African stars with all meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and drinks at camp. Click here to enter the competition. Competition closing date: 16 July 2014.
- Four Seasons gives you the chance to win unforgettable Maui vacation experiences when you a book stay at Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea between September 1 and November 30, 2014 (but non-guests are eligible to enter as well). Click here to enter the social media contest.
- To celebrate their new partnership with Etihad Guest (the loyalty programme of Etihad Airways), Heathrow Awards is offering you the chance to win a five star trip to Abu Dhabi, courtesy of Etihad Guest and the Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, and £500 worth of vouchers to spend at Heathrow before you leave. There’s also the chance to win one of four runner-up prizes of 25,000 Etihad Guest Miles each. Click here to enter the competition.
- Win a luxurious 2-night stay in a suite at any Shangri-La hotel or resort by submitting a travel article about an unforgettable journeys. You must be member of Shangri-La’s loyalty program Golden Circle (which is free). Click here to enter the competition.
- Subscribe to, or refer friends and family to join the Qatar Airways newsletter and you will get a chance to win 1 of 20 pairs of Qatar Airways Economy Class tickets to a worldwide destination of your choice. Click here to enter the competition.
- For Southeast Asia residents only: win a 3 night stay at any Small Luxury Hotel of the World (SLH) property worldwide and an exquisite bed linen set from the Hotel Luxury Collection, simply by joining The Club of SLH. Click here to enter the competition.